PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help with my stealthy slayer/rogue/ranger?

Sleepypeet
2017-04-05, 11:25 PM
Hey guys this is going to be me asking for help on a character that im not sure how to build.
Basically our GM today said to plan your build to level 40!!! I have not really ever played that high before and would like some help.

The basic strategy i want my character to do is a kind of stealthy ranger who is based off sneak attacks?
My first class was ranger but my DM said maybe look at slayer (i have to stay mostly bow based for her to approve the class switch)

Slayer seems like exactly what i want. Very sneaky and trying to do multiple ranged sneak attacks in one encounter.

So some help with planning feats for 20 levels of slayer and then possibly a 2nd class or prestige class? I currently have a composite longbow and basic chainmail. (we are level 3)
We are receiving magic items in hordes to be able to fight these insanely powerful creatures.
I Need some help! Im a hobgoblin and these are my stats with bonus from race

Str:13
Dex:19
Con:16
Int:17
Wis:14
Cha:13

Azoth
2017-04-06, 12:00 AM
I'd probably go Slayer/Wiz Evocation (Admixture)/Arcane Trickster/Crossblooded sorc1/Arcane Archer/Eldritch Knight

Use Sense Vitals, Accomplished Sneak Attacker, Demonic Obedience (Shax), to keep up Sneak Attack Damage. If you use Sniper's Goggles from within 30ft that combo can get you 15d6+60 sneak attack damage with an arrow.

Throw a Fireball into the mix via Arcane Archer for 10d6+20 without Metamagic and you have decent 1 shot damage.

1d8+25d6+80= 4.5+87.5+80=172Avg damage as a standard action.

Maybe throw a shadow dancer dip with Skill Focus Stealth, Hellcat stealth, and Dampen pressence. Combo that with the usual Negate Aroma, while flying & Invisible, and under nondetection/mask from Divination/mindblank, Pass without trace, & Magic Aura. That will make virtually undetectable to anyone.

Sleepypeet
2017-04-06, 12:11 AM
I really do like those suggestions but only a couple problems. Does not make sense for my character to align with a demon and also doesnt make sense for him to learn/know any magic (backstory)

Also alot of those suggestions went over my head a bit. Something a bit more mundane and easier to follow? Im not super know it all on what i might be able to do.

Thank you alot for the suggestions tho! Opened my eyes to arcane archer. might be something i try a different time

Still need some sneaky ideas guys!

Sleepypeet
2017-04-06, 02:56 PM
I think i basically want a slayer sniper of some kind? Doing a stealth check after shooting to get sneak attacks after first shot? Doing a single level dip into shadow dancer for the hide in
plain sight seems really good too

Azoth
2017-04-06, 03:41 PM
That is very problematic build goal from a mechanical perspective. It is near impossible to get enough damage on a single shot to reliably drop mooks or harass BBEG's. On top of that you have to find ways around abilities like Deflect Arrows, Wind Wall, and Fickle Winds which will completely shut down the concept. There are a number of items that can grant Deflect Arrows.

Stealth in and of itself is difficult due to the number of ways to no sell it up front. Scent, Blind Sight, Life Sight, the various Detect spells, and more. Sniping also gives a -20 to your stealth check to hide after the shot.

I am not trying to dissuade you from the path, but I am trying to make you aware of the obstacles in your path.

You might have some luck with a Half-Elf Empiricist Investigator using Kirin Style to get some solid flat bonuses to damage. Studied Target is comparable to Sneak Attack in certain regards.

Sleepypeet
2017-04-06, 09:14 PM
I do agree that this "sniping" is going to be tough without any magic to counter those counters. I might be able to get some magic through gameplay/ talking to my gm about letting a team member "teach" my character so i can multi class into something that uses magic. I have read up a bit and saw that yes sniping is a -20 but after some ranks in stealth it drops down to -10. Believe i saw something that also drops it further? Also i saw goggles that let me sneak attack regardless of range (expensive but lvl40? gold should be no problem given some time).

I will also have to talk to my melee friend in the party to see if he would be willing to take something that would make the enemy lose their dex so i could sneak attack. Recommendations?

Sleepypeet
2017-04-09, 05:05 PM
Still need some help guys!!! im not level 3 slayer after a few games and so far its not bad. Doing decent damage but until level 5 when i can get stealth 5 ranks "sniping"(reduce sniping penalty by 10)
is going to be pretty hard. Thats fine tho with how fast were progressing. Anyone know if "sense Vitals" is alowed to be taken by slayer? I dont see slayer as part of the group allowed to take but i do see ranger.
Hellcat stealth seems really strong and almost a must. Still need an idea for when i can stealth and need my melee partner to deny them their dex so i can get sneak attack damage.