PDA

View Full Version : Did Redcloak break the rules in 478...

Eriol
2007-07-28, 10:04 AM
Did Redcloak break the rules in 478, or was he just being non-specific to Xykon before?

What I'm referring to is in #459 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0459.html) when he used "Harm" to heal Xykon. When he does so, he says "Harm! Now make that last, that's my last one." But can't he heal Xykon with ANY unused spell slots he has? He's an evil cleric, so can spontaneously cast "Inflict" spells, any of which could heal Xykon. He also isn't using ANY spells in the throne room, just his Turning/Rebuke ability, which has nothing to do with spell slots. And it seems he has NOT had the requisite hours of rest between the throne room scene and the docks scene. He even has other clerics heal him up in #465 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0465.html), then heals Xykon a bit in that same strip???

I'm not getting his spell-slot usage, or what he's meaning with what he said in #459. Was he only meaning that was his last "Harm" spell? Kinda deceptive if you ask me if he still had a moderately full stable of inflict spells in reserve. Xykon could have kept going for a while in the throne room if Redcloak was just paying more attention to him.

yoshi927
2007-07-28, 10:08 AM
Well, Harm got Xykon back up to full, and he didn't get an opportunity to heal Xykon again for a while...

DreadSpoon
2007-07-28, 10:29 AM
You are putting way too much thought into something completely inconsequential.

Was he only meaning that was his last "Harm" spell? Kinda deceptive

He meant that exactly, yes. It is not deceptive. He had one harm left. That's important. Harm is a powerful healing spell for undead. His inflict spells are not nearly so powerful, and it woudl take a number of inflict spells to perform as much healing as one harm. He doesn't want to waste a ton of spells to heal Xykon again, and so gave a mother-hen-like admonishment to "make it last" because he doesn't want to waste a lot of spell resources healing him again.

There's nothing dishonest or otherwise noteworthy going on in this exchange.

lord_khaine
2007-07-28, 10:32 AM
and i would like to point out he cant spontaneously cast harm

Bluelantern
2007-07-28, 10:35 AM
Maybe he got a scroll(s)? It would make sense =P

squidthingy
2007-07-28, 11:54 AM
mabye he prayed to the dark one to get bonus spells

Chronos
2007-07-28, 12:40 PM
When you're healing in battle, you want to use the most powerful spell you have available, because in a battle, time is your most precious resource. If he had used Inflict Critical Wounds to heal Xykon during the throne-room battle, he'd be spending a round to heal about as many points of damage as Soon was doing in that same round. That doesn't make any progress, and eventually, he runs out of spell slots, while Soon doesn't run out of attacks. Much better for him to use what time he had to get rid of the other paladins. On the other hand, once the battle was over, he had a few rounds to spare without someone trying to skewer them, so he was able to take the time to cast a few Inflicts in a row.

Belial_the_Leveler
2007-07-28, 01:01 PM
He might have the summoning spell in his domain slots.