PDA

View Full Version : Dual/merged personality. Fluff and mechanics suggestions?

Foxymew
2017-04-06, 05:19 AM
So this fall, me and my group are starting up another campaign, and I've all ready decided on what I wanna do, to an extent at least. We're given pretty free reign with all the books and our GM is pretty lax about things that make sense and the like. So my idea was basically the thought of being a kobold that is a merge of two kobolds, due to some accident or other, like pissing off a hag, stealing a cursed item, etc.

So I was wondering if there were cool ways to implement that mechanics wise, light things. I don't want a complete split personality thing, more one personality with two facets. My initial thought is essentially to flip a coin each day and let that dictate which personality is more dominant. Which may be as little influential as which gender party member they may treat better (One personality was female, other was male) or maybe more. Like, maybe the male personality, who was a rogue, will be more likely to fall for ruses of gold and stuff, while the other might see through the same thing. Maybe there's fun custom backgrounds I could make to reflect it.

Also, I intend to be rogue with dip into a caster class. Thinking warlock since pact of the chain is so good with rogue, and kobolds especially. But maybe there's other good ideas? I also don't know what rogue archetype to go for, and whether to finagle in a whip proficiency for a reach melee weapon with finesse. Definitely a ranged rogue though, as I don't feel a melee 'bold fits well, and I also want him to have been a dungeon crawler, treasure hunter sort of rogue, not as much the thief-y, slit your throat kind. Though his morals are selfish.

I don't know what level we start at, but I'm assuming it's past 5, since before that is kind of intro stuff, and we've had a few runs so far, the last campaign started at 5.

The Vanishing Hitchhiker
2017-04-06, 07:23 AM
I've been kicking something like that idea around for a future character, tiefling siblings.

So, things to consider: the two kobolds know about each other, I assume? Best for the one who's up the day they meet the party to give everyone a heads-up, unless they're a jerk and want the other to deal with it. How well do they get along/know each other, and how well before they merged? Do they have any mode of communication other than leaving each other notes, or do they even consider it necessary? Do they prefer to use different spells/abilities and strategies? It's a good way to further differentiate them, though it might be less feasible with certain class choices.

Also, if this is the result of a curse, a natural plot progression would be to cure the curse somehow. If you don't want that, best come up with an excuse with the DM beforehand. Otherwise, prepare for one of them to become a henchman or NPC, figure out if you'd need to untangle their classes and XP, messy things like that.

DivisibleByZero
2017-04-06, 07:41 AM
I did something similar once, with split personalities.
I actually made two character sheets, for two different characters, with two different classes and everything. The DM decided what each characters' triggers were, and when triggered, I swapped characters.
I had control of both characters, but only one at a time.
He had control over which character was forward.

Foxymew
2017-04-06, 07:48 AM
Well, as I said, I didn't want it a complete separation, more of a merge. Two becoming one. I reckon they were dungeon crawlers together. A caster and a rogue makes a good enough team to skulk for treasures. And I do want it to be a bit of a secret, depending on the impact, of course. And of course, not a secret to the DM, because that'd be dumb.

For example, as I said, one day he may be more inclined to go for a trapped treasure, while had it been the day the other personality had more power, he would see through it as a trap. One day, he may help out the female bard first, while another, he would have gone for the buff male fighter first instead.

And the adventure pull is for them to get separated again, DM mentioned a green dragon who is the dragon of magic in the setting. But who knows, maybe they'll grow fond of their new self, see the power of two in one. Or maybe he'll be dead tired of finding himself waking up in bed with the wrong gendered partner one time too many after a visit to the tavern. Because my kobold is a bit promiscuous.

I feel like two separate sheets is a bit much and bogs down, and I would rather go for RP like elements and light mechanical ones.

Hrugner
2017-04-07, 02:11 AM
It seems easiest to let each personality take over when something relevant to them is taking place. This would mean that you always fall for trapped treasure. You'd have to decide which one of them has more interest in gender preference as well. There's probably one that's more interested in being drunk, leaving the other with the hang over.

Foxymew
2017-04-10, 12:57 PM
It seems easiest to let each personality take over when something relevant to them is taking place. This would mean that you always fall for trapped treasure. You'd have to decide which one of them has more interest in gender preference as well. There's probably one that's more interested in being drunk, leaving the other with the hang over.

I'm not really a fan of that approach, I'll be honest. Then I've basically just got a monopersonality character with mood swings. Though the 'leave the other with the hangover' is kind of fun, and definitely something that'll happen.