PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Psychic Warrior (Based on the UA Mystic Class)

Steampunkette
2017-04-06, 06:02 AM
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJAtCYXpx

As I did with the Psionicist, so now I do with the Psychic Warrior.

For the most part, this class is similar to the UA's Mystic. Though I've narrowed down some of it's class abilities and revamped others. The major changes are as follows:

Order of the Immortal, Nomad, or Soul Knife
No Avatar, Awakened, and Kineticist (Psionicists get these).
No more Telepathy.
No more Strength of the Mind.
No more Psionic Mastery.

Psionic Quanta:
Think Invocations. Some of them require you to be Psionically Focused. Some require you to expend your focus. Some require you to expend your focus and lock yourself out of it 'til you take a short rest.

Fighting Styles: 'Cause they're fighter types with casting ability.

Extra Attack: 'Cause Fighter Types.

Body Fuel: 2 to 1 HP to PP conversion.

Psionic Surge: Essentially legendary actions that recharge on a short rest. Not quite as strong as they might at first seem, but definitely very useful for throwing out extra attacks during a round or self-healing/buffing when it's not your turn.

Steampunkette
2017-04-06, 02:58 PM
I've now added in the different, slightly revamped, Psionic Orders.

ravencroft0
2017-04-06, 06:46 PM
You have good work here. I like your Quanta concept; it feels at home with the mystic/psion class. I have tried creating a psychic warrior as well, using the fighter as a base and becoming a psychic warrior as an archetype. When I presented my take on it, it was rendered too powerful, basically because of access to psionic disciplines.

Psychic Warrior (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJBPvD32g)

As you will see, I have very limited psychic ability, but there is enough access to the disciplines that the class could overshadow all iterations of the fighter class. This has been watered down from its initial release and it still packs a punch. Here (https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/63278z/psychic_warrior_5earchetype/) is a link to see the criticism I got.

Best advice I can give you is really look at the disciplines and how they sync with your PW and how that stacks up against other classes and their respective power levels. If you already have, then you already are step ahead of me.

Seriously, good work.

Steampunkette
2017-04-06, 10:40 PM
I chose to make it a stand-alone class because, on it's face, the fighter is a good solid class with fairly decent power, if a very simplistic style on how it puts it out there.

Adding Disciplines and Psychic Focuses to it pushes a good class past Great and into "Holy Heck that's strong!"

By creating a new, baseline, chassis, I'm able to present a class without that issue. Rather than having Psionic Powers on top of Action Surge, the class gets to stand on it's own feet.

Ultimately, the Psychic Warrior comes out more flexible (with it's ability to change Focuses or burn points for special benefits), but the lowered hit die, lack of 4 attacks and action surges that recover on a short rest, and other aspects help to reign it in a bit.

Though I have been debating on whether or not I should stretch out it's PP gain, the class is, more or less, a caster with some fighting chops. It's something unlike the other classes out there, which I'm glad I was able to create.

PotatoGolem
2017-04-09, 01:11 AM
Doesn't Body Fuel give you effectively infinite out of combat healing and PP with the immortal discipline that lets you recover 3 HP per PP?

Steampunkette
2017-04-09, 05:38 PM
It's actually 1d8 per pp with Psionic Restoration. Thank you for pointing that out!

I'll move that into an Awakened Discipline, instead, and call it Psychic Surgery, instead.

Steampunkette
2017-04-16, 10:44 AM
Made note of Psychic Surgery and put together the Psionic Weapon Discipline (Added onto the end of the document)