PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Question about languages

Roan_Spence
2017-04-06, 10:19 AM
In my pathfinder campaign I have Sylvan as one of the languages my Gnome Sorcerer can speak. I thought it was just the language of the Fey, but it turns out that according to the D20 hub thing, it's also the language of animals. My question is, does this mean I can always speak with animals in game or can I only understand them and need to use a specific "Talk to animals" spell or ability to be able to do that?

Thanks in advance everyone. I'm still quite new to all of this.

legomaster00156
2017-04-06, 10:20 AM
No, you cannot speak to animals without the Speak with Animals spell, nor is knowing Sylvan a requirement to using this spell. Furthermore, Sylvan has nothing to do with animals. :smallconfused:

Geddy2112
2017-04-06, 11:25 AM
Sylvan is the language a lot of magical creatures like centaurs, unicorns, plant creatures etc speak but it is not the language of animals themselves. Animals don't have language as they have <3 intelligence, so they can neither speak nor understand language. Almost any intelligent magical beast will speak sylvan though.

As said, you need speak with animals to speak to animals. Gnomes have that as a spell like ability once a day. There are a few other ways to talk to animals but speak with animals is the main one.

souridealist
2017-04-06, 12:07 PM
Would you be willing to link the d20 hub thing you're looking at? I've never heard Sylvan as the language of animals before.

I don't think it would make sense for it to let you speak to animals regardless, though; it would make the spell pretty pointless.

Roan_Spence
2017-04-06, 11:20 PM
My bad. I was misreading it. It said Centaurs and I only glanced at it.