PDA

View Full Version : Land Druid feat advice

Beelzebubba
2017-04-06, 05:31 PM
I have a character hitting 4th level soon, and time for the first feat.

Wood Elf Druid, Circle of the Land - Mountain. Outlander background.

We have 8 players, 5-6 show up any week. The party is big (Paladin, Warlock, Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, Bard, Wizard, me) so I'm concentrating on battlefield control and utility. My skills (Nature, Survival, Perception, Insight, Athletics) make me our outdoor guide / scout.

I'm a bit stuck on what I want for a first ASI or feat. I have a few directions I can go:

--

1) ASI - +1 WIS (17->18), +1 INT (13->14)
+ Evens out two of my odd stats.
+ Makes my spells, class saves, and best skills stronger.
-> Mechanically strong, but boring.

2) Observant
+ I have a 17 WIS, so that will give me the bump to 18
+ I'll have a Passive Perception of 20 and Passive Investigate of 16
->Mechanical boost for spellcasting, scouting, and adds unique strength to the party.

3) Magic Initiate: Druid
+ I'll have every Druid cantrip that's interesting, which will give me a heck of a lot of utility - Druidcraft, Guidance, Mending, Produce Flame, Shillelagh, and Thorn Whip - by 4th level.
+ I'll have a new spell slot for permanent Goodberry.
-> This means I'll be *incredibly* Druid-ey and versatile for my low levels, and have a lot of options for combat. Spell Sniper might be a great idea later too.

4) Magic Initiate: Wizard
+ To my other cantrips (Produce Flame, Guidance, Shillelagh, Druidcraft) I'll add Message and Mage Hand - which will make me an even better team tactician for ambushes/stealth among other things.
+ I'll get Find Familiar for aerial scouting and touch spells. There's also neat tricks like turning into a mouse and riding the familiar to get places.
-> Probably the most off-beat, flavorful, and fun - I can fluff it as Fey magic (Mage Hand can be little sprite things doing the manipulation). But, familiars have <3 HP and replacing them ain't cheap.

--

Any suggestions or opinions?
How did Find Familiar work out for you as a non-Wizard?
Are 3 combat cantrips overkill, even if they each have unique traits?

GPS
2017-04-06, 07:03 PM
I find Heavily armored is a great feat for land druids, really allows you to boost AC.

Just kidding, but Observant is a good one. Aside from the effects you've already listed, it allows you to lipread from any mouth you can see, which can lead to some fun RP.

nickl_2000
2017-04-06, 07:06 PM
I find Heavily armored is a great feat for land druids, really allows you to boost AC.

Just kidding, but Observant is a good one. Aside from the effects you've already listed, it allows you to lipread from any mouth you can see, which can lead to some fun RP.

Resilient would be a good one to take as would war caster. It really depends on the situations you find yourself in though.

hamiltond465
2017-04-07, 02:38 AM
Magic initiate: wizard/sorcerer could also get you Mage Armor, which isn't a concentration effect and may carry over into wildshape.

Citan
2017-04-07, 04:09 AM
I have a character hitting 4th level soon, and time for the first feat.

Wood Elf Druid, Circle of the Land - Mountain. Outlander background.

We have 8 players, 5-6 show up any week. The party is big (Paladin, Warlock, Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, Bard, Wizard, me) so I'm concentrating on battlefield control and utility. My skills (Nature, Survival, Perception, Insight, Athletics) make me our outdoor guide / scout.

I'm a bit stuck on what I want for a first ASI or feat. I have a few directions I can go:

--

1) ASI - +1 WIS (17->18), +1 INT (13->14)
+ Evens out two of my odd stats.
+ Makes my spells, class saves, and best skills stronger.
-> Mechanically strong, but boring.

2) Observant
+ I have a 17 WIS, so that will give me the bump to 18
+ I'll have a Passive Perception of 20 and Passive Investigate of 16
->Mechanical boost for spellcasting, scouting, and adds unique strength to the party.

3) Magic Initiate: Druid
+ I'll have every Druid cantrip that's interesting, which will give me a heck of a lot of utility - Druidcraft, Guidance, Mending, Produce Flame, Shillelagh, and Thorn Whip - by 4th level.
+ I'll have a new spell slot for permanent Goodberry.
-> This means I'll be *incredibly* Druid-ey and versatile for my low levels, and have a lot of options for combat. Spell Sniper might be a great idea later too.

4) Magic Initiate: Wizard
+ To my other cantrips (Produce Flame, Guidance, Shillelagh, Druidcraft) I'll add Message and Mage Hand - which will make me an even better team tactician for ambushes/stealth among other things.
+ I'll get Find Familiar for aerial scouting and touch spells. There's also neat tricks like turning into a mouse and riding the familiar to get places.
-> Probably the most off-beat, flavorful, and fun - I can fluff it as Fey magic (Mage Hand can be little sprite things doing the manipulation). But, familiars have <3 HP and replacing them ain't cheap.

--

Any suggestions or opinions?
How did Find Familiar work out for you as a non-Wizard?
Are 3 combat cantrips overkill, even if they each have unique traits?
Hi.
Honestly?

1) +1 WIS/INT: great ONLY if you plan on taking Wizard level dips later to get Bladesinger. But even then, is it worth it? Probably not unless you plan on further bumping INT and Wizard levels (and I see no particular reason to do so, unless you like it as a character concept of course because you don't aim at lvl 18+ Druid anyways).

2) Observant: totally in phase with what you said of character concept, flavorful, extremely useful all-around.

3) Magic Initiate: Druid: I honestly don't find a permanent slot for Goodberry worth it. As for cantrips, well, I'd say it's up to you, but I'm not sure you need that many options especially at that level: for mundane turn, either Shillelagh (if you are brave) or Thorns Whip (if you are reasonable ^^) are largely enough for melee options.
Produce Flame is an utility that doubles as a decent ranged cantrip. And if you have good DEX, longbow attack trumps all.
You will get your third cantrip, which could be Guidance (better utility) or Druidcraft (more flavorful). Honestly, a subpar choice imo.

4) Magic Initiate: Wizard: much better imo overall compared to previous, mechanically at least.
Find Familiar is enough 1/day obviously.
If you have a good DEX, you can benefit from weapon cantrips which will be plain better than Shillelagh (or can be used together with it mind you ;)).
If you are stacked enough offense wise, Prestidigitation will come close to Druidcraft in terms of what you can do, you could also take Message (easily flavored as Druid cantrip, using the natural wind to convey his words) or Minor Illusion (same). Also don't forget about EE cantrips: Mold Earth, Create Bonfire, Control Flames, Shape Water: you make rarely more Druidic than that. ;)

Then you also have...
5) Spell Sniper: if you don't have Produce Flame yet (and don't plan on relying on longbow), this is the chance to get a pretty good ranged attack.

6) Warcaster: can be extremely useful: the advantage on concentration saves will help you keep your control spells alive. "Spell as OA": Thorns Whips still deals decent damage (although you lose the rider effect), more importantly it's an off-turn chance to disable an enemy with Entangle, Heat Metal or Hold Person.

7) Mobile: only if you make an habit of going to smack enemies with your Shillelagh quarterstaff, otherwise, don't bother.

So my three top picks would be (barring the case in which you want to multiclass Bladesinger Wizard for up to lvl 6 at least)...
1. Magic Initiate: Wizard
2. Observant
3. Warcaster

Hope that helps. Have fun!

Beelzebubba
2017-04-07, 04:36 AM
Hi.

2) Totally in phase with what you said of character concept, flavorful, extremely useful all-around.

3) Magic Initiate: Druid: Honestly, a subpar choice imo.

4) Magic Initiate: Wizard: much better imo overall compared to previous, mechanically at least.

So my three top picks would be (barring the case in which you want to multiclass Bladesinger Wizard for up to lvl 6 at least)...
1) Magic Initiate: Wizard
2) Observant
3) Warcaster

That's really helpful, thank you for the analysis!

some guy
2017-04-07, 05:28 AM
Resilient would be a good one to take as would war caster. It really depends on the situations you find yourself in though.

Seconded. I'm playing a grassland druid (lvl 8 now) and took Resilient (Constitution) at level 4, at the moment, when I'm within the paladin's aura my concentration will have no chance of failing for most attacks. I feel maintaining concentration is incredibly important for a land druid.

Beelzebubba
2017-04-07, 06:25 AM
Isn't Warcaster significantly better than Resilient for Concentration checks though?

Advantage on concentration checks seems much stronger than Proficient, especially at low level where that's only a +2 bonus.

Also, I can use a shield, which improves my AC from 14 to 16, which should prevent other damage too.

I know I don't get the benefit for other saves. So is it the fact that the saves other than direct HP damage have a high probability of taking me out as well, so it's better to get a lower comprehensive bonus than a higher specific one?

some guy
2017-04-07, 09:37 AM
Isn't Warcaster significantly better than Resilient for Concentration checks though?

Advantage on concentration checks seems much stronger than Proficient, especially at low level where that's only a +2 bonus.

Also, I can use a shield, which improves my AC from 14 to 16, which should prevent other damage too.

I know I don't get the benefit for other saves. So is it the fact that the saves other than direct HP damage have a high probability of taking me out as well, so it's better to get a lower comprehensive bonus than a higher specific one?

It depends on your preference, my Constitution went from 15 to 16, at level 5 your prof. bonus will increase, and I really don't like to be suffering from failed con saves (I'm not sure what shields have to do with it?).
I just like my druid never failing those saves for 21 damage or less when he's near the paladin, which would not be guaranteed with Warcaster. Having advantiage on concentration saves is good, though.

JellyPooga
2017-04-07, 09:54 AM
Skulker can be an excellent choice for a Druid that wants to explore the infiltration aspects of Wild Shape. Same goes for Dungeon Delver, to a lesser extent (and may only be worth it if you're playing a trap heavy game).

Elemental Adept could be worth having if you use a lot of fire spells (which the Druid can do) and are worried about facing Resistance/Immunity.

If you want a boost to both AC and spellcasting, though, you really can't go wrong with War Caster and getting yourself a shield. This would probably be my No.1 recommendation, because the Advantage on concentration and the extra AC are both huge assets to a "back-line" caster like the Land Druid is.

Beelzebubba
2017-04-07, 11:45 AM
It depends on your preference, my Constitution went from 15 to 16, at level 5 your prof. bonus will increase, and I really don't like to be suffering from failed con saves (I'm not sure what shields have to do with it?).
I just like my druid never failing those saves for 21 damage or less when he's near the paladin, which would not be guaranteed with Warcaster. Having advantiage on concentration saves is good, though.

Ah, two things - my Con is even now, so it'll take another ASI to get a higher bonus. If I go with Warcaster, then it will make sense to use one level to raise both my WIS and CON since they'll both be odd at that point.

The shield reference means 'with a +2AC some weapon attacks that force Concentration checks will miss'.

8wGremlin
2017-04-07, 02:37 PM
Have you thought about Ritual Caster (wizard) - get all the good ritual spells.

Level 1
Alarm
Comprehend Languages
Detect Magic
Find Familiar
Identify
Illusory Script
Tenser's Floating Disk
Unseen Servant

Level 2
Gentle Repose
Magic Mouth
Skywrite

Level 3
Feign Death
Leomund's Tiny Hut
Phantom Steed
Water Breathing

Beelzebubba
2017-04-07, 04:25 PM
Have you thought about Ritual Caster (wizard) - get all the good ritual spells.

Thanks, but he's more of an outdoorsy survivalist than a wizard. I don't have any skills in Arcana or Religion. I put it all into Nature, Survival, Insight, stuff like that.

If I did the MI: Wizard feat, I'd work with the DM to flavor everything as Druid-like as possible - maybe call it 'Fey magic' and re-work the material components of Find Familiar to be, say, burning sage instead of coal.

8wGremlin
2017-04-07, 06:25 PM
Thanks, but he's more of an outdoorsy survivalist than a wizard. I don't have any skills in Arcana or Religion. I put it all into Nature, Survival, Insight, stuff like that.

If I did the MI: Wizard feat, I'd work with the DM to flavor everything as Druid-like as possible - maybe call it 'Fey magic' and re-work the material components of Find Familiar to be, say, burning sage instead of coal.

I was going to suggest you fluff the Wizard rituals to be Druidic.

Find familiar is easy. Unseen servants can be wild animal and fae sprites helping out.

Skywrite is rearranging the clouds.

And leominds tiny hut. Is spirits pulling togeather and plants growing up to form the hut.

But ok.

Beelzebubba
2017-04-08, 06:45 AM
I was going to suggest you fluff the Wizard rituals to be Druidic.

Find familiar is easy. Unseen servants can be wild animal and fae sprites helping out.

Skywrite is rearranging the clouds.

And leominds tiny hut. Is spirits pulling togeather and plants growing up to form the hut.

But ok.

Gotcha, and those sound sweet - I didn't think to say it's more the 'carrying around a spellbook and scribing scrolls into it to improve over time' thing that doesn't fit.

JellyPooga
2017-04-08, 10:15 AM
Gotcha, and those sound sweet - I didn't think to say it's more the 'carrying around a spellbook and scribing scrolls into it to improve over time' thing that doesn't fit.

Don't have a spelbook then. Have a staff festooned with rune-inscribed talismans or a necklace of fetishes. Perhaps have it tattooed on you or a collection of runestones. Just a suggestion.

Socratov
2017-04-09, 11:40 AM
Hi there, fellow land druid here.

So, as a spellcaster with a party chock full of frontliners you should be well protected enough to not warrant a lot more personal defence. So no better armours then. However, you can never prevent a shot or spell flying through. That is not a problem, as you can eat up the attack once or twice over the adventuring day. However, Druid has a metric feces-tonne of concentration effects, be they debuffs, buffs, or duration spells. Especially that last case makes for great stuff: you have Moonbeam (I assume), Fiery Bead and will get Call Lightning, Sunbeam, ect. A lot of those are truly devastating in their effects and will grab you some attention. And while you can last a bit with HP and healing (good berries and healing word are great spell in of themselves), losing your spell makes for a sad druid.

Besides, the Druid list is very broad in its applications, and very powerful. For instance, Pass without trace pretty much makes a party of loud heavy armour wearing fighters sneaky like hobbitses. If you have the thornwhip cantrip and some fighters/monk that can throw people around having Spike Growth is very funny to use. And that is without all the other stuff you can do to do awesome stuff. You don't really need more options (at least, not now). I mean, as a druid you get healing, party buffing, enemy debuffing, direct damage and some utility to boot. Leave some for the other casters/characters to be the goto guy in the party for!

So my advice would be: either +2 con (taking your ASI and yes, you may place both ASI points into the same ability score), to up that concentration check (and get some HP in the process, not too bad). But to that end, why not get Resillience (constitution). Sure you get an odd con score, but you get proficiency to con saves (which is great) and next time (lvl 8) you can up your wis and con for great effects!.

another good option is to take warcaster. Advantage on concentration is so freaking great for you. Having the ability to mitigate bad rolls is a huge benefit to the Land Druid playstyle.

Tl:dr - take either Resillient(con) or Warcaster and never lose a spell again.

Beelzebubba
2017-04-10, 04:57 AM
Brilliant. Thank you!

Herobizkit
2017-04-11, 07:33 PM
I'm with the Magic Initiate: Wizard camp. Very little beats a flying/climbing scout that's cheap to replace and can take a bunch of different forms with each casting.

Mandragola
2017-04-12, 09:09 AM
Personally I think I'd go with observant. It makes you good at what you're supposed to do: scout and cast spells.

Magic initiate is no bad thing for the party, but it would be more or less equally valuable whoever took it. Anyone else could use a familiar just as well as you, but not everyone will have your perceptiveness.

Biggstick
2017-04-12, 11:09 AM
Add another vote for the Observant feat. It's such a powerful ability that if you're ever playing a Druid or a Cleric who can take it without breaking the overall Wisdom progression (which you can having an odd Wisdom score), you should pretty much always take it.

As for Resilient Con vs Warcaster, if look at it like this. Having advantage on the concentration check is worth about +5 give or take. Resilient Con gives you proficiency bonus to you Con saves. Once you reach PC level 9 (and if you have an odd Con score), Resilient Con will be more appealing for your concentration checks as it also helps you with all other Con saves. If youre not using spells in melee, 1/3 of the Warcaster feat is useless. If you're not using sword and board, 1/3 of the Warcaster feat is useless.

Socratov
2017-04-12, 11:38 AM
Add another vote for the Observant feat. It's such a powerful ability that if you're ever playing a Druid or a Cleric who can take it without breaking the overall Wisdom progression (which you can having an odd Wisdom score), you should pretty much always take it.
certinaly a storng choice, but 1/3rds of it will almost always be mostly useless: if you have great wisdom and are prodicient odd are that you can already hear the enemies (and thus not need to lipread). As for the PP boost, It is a great way to have your DM up the ante with even better stealth rolls so when you can't seen them nobody can. Besides, why not take the eyes shield thingie? It's a low lvl magic item (you can get it at about lvl 3 in AL) and it does the same for your PP without offering up your ASI.

As for Resilient Con vs Warcaster, if look at it like this. Having advantage on the concentration check is worth about +5 give or take. Resilient Con gives you proficiency bonus to you Con saves. Once you reach PC level 9 (and if you have an odd Con score), Resilient Con will be more appealing for your concentration checks as it also helps you with all other Con saves. If youre not using spells in melee, 1/3 of the Warcaster feat is useless. If you're not using sword and board, 1/3 of the Warcaster feat is useless.

Well, the statistics don't work out to be an even +5. Basically you gotta look at it like this: advantage makes you better at not sucking, (as you progress more towards the mean or expected value), resillient con helps you achieve better results (as you get to add proficiency to a very neccessary save). Warcaster raises the floor and resillient con raises the ceiling. Seeing how concentration checks are more often then not about not sucking more then they are about achieving higher results early on warcaster with its advantage means more then resillient con with its proficiency. the best thing though, is that they stack for added benefits.

And for fun, if you are not in melee warcaster has some funny benefits, especially when coupled with other casters for confusion and fear: as they run away due to the fear effect of a fellow party member you may use a reaction to help them along the way (Thunderwave), or pull them back (thornwhip) to keep slinging them around like a yo-yo... Besides, just because you are geared for ranged and hanging back, does not mean you should be devoid of melee opportunities; somewhere along the line you will end up in melee one way or another, and by then you will be glad you can make use of the sage advice ruling that staffs count as quarterstaffs so you defend yourself and still cast somatic components...

Biggstick
2017-04-12, 12:01 PM
certinaly a storng choice, but 1/3rds of it will almost always be mostly useless: if you have great wisdom and are prodicient odd are that you can already hear the enemies (and thus not need to lipread). As for the PP boost, It is a great way to have your DM up the ante with even better stealth rolls so when you can't seen them nobody can. Besides, why not take the eyes shield thingie? It's a low lvl magic item (you can get it at about lvl 3 in AL) and it does the same for your PP without offering up your ASI.

I'm looking at Observant purely for the +1 Wis and +5 to Passive Perception.

If your DM is upping the ante with even better stealth rolls, he is attempting to invalidate your choice and it should be something discussed with the DM. That's just an antagonistic DM who shouldn't be making your feat choices dumb. If you as a PC really want to be aware of your surroundings and put effort into having a higher passive perception, you shouldn't be punished for it. I'll chalk up this to you having DM's who don't know how to properly deal with PC's having higher passive perceptions (Darkness, Marching Order, Walking pace, etc. are all ways to lower a passive perception within the rules).

The Sentinel Shield is what you're referring to, and it gives you advantage on Perception checks. This does increase your passive perception by +5. Having this item, plus the Observant feat, plus a decent Wisdom and proficiency (dare I suggest Expertise?!) in Perception will net you a pretty insane passive perception. Obviously with this sort of set-up, it's what you've built your character to do well at. I'll repeat that if the DM is invalidating your build choices, they're not a creative enough DM.

Well, the statistics don't work out to be an even +5. Basically you gotta look at it like this: advantage makes you better at not sucking, (as you progress more towards the mean or expected value), resillient con helps you achieve better results (as you get to add proficiency to a very neccessary save). Warcaster raises the floor and resillient con raises the ceiling. Seeing how concentration checks are more often then not about not sucking more then they are about achieving higher results early on warcaster with its advantage means more then resillient con with its proficiency. the best thing though, is that they stack for added benefits.

If you have +9 to your Con saves and you take 21 or less damage, you will never have to make a Con save as you automatically make the save, even if you roll a 1. That is better then having a +5 to Con saves and advantage on the saving throw, as you'll lose concentration 4% of the time compared to 0% of the time.

I do agree though on Concentration saves being more about not sucking rather then doing well. Warcaster is definitely better early in the game when you don't have a Con save bonus that is near the +7 to +9 range. If, by picking up Resilient Con you do get up to that range, that's where you'll starting seeing that having the higher bonus is much more valuable then simply having advantage on the roll.

And I absolutely agree with the pairing of the two feats. Putting these two together on a Cleric, or any class that's in melee and maintaining concentration is just amazing.

And for fun, if you are not in melee warcaster has some funny benefits, especially when coupled with other casters for confusion and fear: as they run away due to the fear effect of a fellow party member you may use a reaction to help them along the way (Thunderwave), or pull them back (thornwhip) to keep slinging them around like a yo-yo... Besides, just because you are geared for ranged and hanging back, does not mean you should be devoid of melee opportunities; somewhere along the line you will end up in melee one way or another, and by then you will be glad you can make use of the sage advice ruling that staffs count as quarterstaffs so you defend yourself and still cast somatic components...

Thunderwave is an aoe spell. Warcaster only allows you to use spells that "have a casting time of 1 action and must target only that creature" (PHB 170). Spells like Heat Metal or Hold Person are totally fair game, but not Thunderwave. Thornwhip is totally fine though too.

Citan
2017-04-12, 01:54 PM

If you won't take a feat because you are afraid your DM will adapt environment against you, then you have a much bigger problem than feat choice: your DM. This is irresponsible behavior (and you should talk to him about ASAP to find a agreeable solution for both or leave the game because this is a nasty trend).
If you won't take a feat because you count on your DM giving you exactly the item you want to replace it in near future*, you have a bigger problem than feat choice: yourself. This is childish behavior.

*That you actually find it, buy it or steal it is beyond the point: DM is the only one able to make it happen.

As for reading lips, well, it's too DM and campaign dependant to really get a solid "theorical" opinion on it. But it seems there are many situations you didn't think about...
- spying in a very noisy environment (like in a tavern, with you away from at least 30 feets).
- spying in a "silent" environment (like through a closed window).
- spying from afar (that's the most DM dependent imo, relating the distance at which you are supposed to sill see lips distinctively)
- getting messages from an ally (like, your scout is in a position in which any sound would endanger him, and hand language may not be practical: with this he can inform you easily).

Finally, you should not forget about passive Investigation: its usefulness also wildly varies depending on DM and campaign, but in those where Investigation is normally used, it is very good even with low INT. ;)

That's a bit biaised view (putting Warcaster as the "floor" whatever happens ^^) but there is certainly much truth in it.
[/QUOTE]

Beelzebubba
2017-04-13, 12:24 PM
Too much going on to quote everyone, but the discussion has been great so I want to respond.

RE Observant:

My DM is really good about incorporating character stuff in the game, so if I pick a 'flavorful' thing, he'll put us into environments where that sort of thing can be of use.

I wouldn't call lip reading '1/3' of the feat, it's probably pushing 10% at most due to how often passive checks are made. But it could enable some fun stuff in the right time and place.

RE Feat choices:

I'm really torn between Warcaster and Observant now. Warcaster will be very powerful in combat, Observant will be a good WIS boost (it's 17 now) and really useful before and after combat. Warcaster is probably a better choice mechanically, but Observant keeps my 'sorta Ranger-ish Druid' concept going and solidifies my role as a scout.

When the time comes I'll probably flip a coin.

Socratov
2017-04-13, 03:15 PM
Too much going on to quote everyone, but the discussion has been great so I want to respond.

RE Observant:

My DM is really good about incorporating character stuff in the game, so if I pick a 'flavorful' thing, he'll put us into environments where that sort of thing can be of use.

I wouldn't call lip reading '1/3' of the feat, it's probably pushing 10% at most due to how often passive checks are made. But it could enable some fun stuff in the right time and place.

RE Feat choices:

I'm really torn between Warcaster and Observant now. Warcaster will be very powerful in combat, Observant will be a good WIS boost (it's 17 now) and really useful before and after combat. Warcaster is probably a better choice mechanically, but Observant keeps my 'sorta Ranger-ish Druid' concept going and solidifies my role as a scout.

When the time comes I'll probably flip a coin.

Please note that keeping up your spell getting hit by traps is also a great reason to take warcaster as it helps you keep up that pass without trace or whatever you have up to help your party clear the dungeon/forest/jungle/desert/whatever it is you are exploring.

Beelzebubba
2017-11-11, 05:14 AM
This is necromancy, but since it's my thread, I figured it's OK.

(Yeah, it's been a long time, but this is Sweden, so you have to realize the entire country shuts down from mid-May to mid-July. Everyone either enjoys our preciously short summer, or - in some years, when the weather is crap - gets the hell out to someplace sunny before they go insane. And, I've been DM much more than player recently.)

I finally ended up taking Resilient Constitution.

--

TL:DR stuff below:

I was driving myself crazy with the notion of the 'perfect build', and even as I refined my options (Observant, Spell Sniper, War Caster, and Resilient), when I brought it back into the character's Traits and Ideals it all became clear.

His Ideal is being able to survive in nature anywhere, so being Resilient is definitely in-character. I also looked back and realized my character has been hit with as many poison, cold, and disease effects as he has been with Concentration saves, so he has the motivation.

Observant is great, and is equally in character as Resilient, but he already has the highest Perception in the party, and being almost immune to surprise and deception seems more fitting for higher level. I'll probably take it at 8th.

His destiny is to reach one-ness with nature and foreswear weapons and other external tools for his innate abilities. So, thematically, he takes Spell Sniper w/ Thorn Whip and ditches his Scimitar and Dagger. Later, he takes Magic Initiate to pick up Mage Armor and ditch his Studded Leather, and Magic Stone to ditch the Longbow.) But, he's still low level, and has barely touched his bow, so Spell Sniper is premature. Those feel good for level 12+.

War Caster is probably the most optimal, but it feels out of character. He's more of a stealthy opportunist, so I'm putting that off as a 'maybe', depending on the campaign.

So, Resilient it is.