PDA

View Full Version : Ranged threat, never provokes, dnd 3.5 with a Bonebow...

Rerednaw
2017-04-06, 10:08 PM
The player swears it is all 3.5. I was wondering how one gets a threat radius of 30' with a bow and multiple AoO's. I have not looked at his build so I figured I'd just ask the opti-community here.

Best I can come up with is Arrow-Mind and Ranged Threat...but he doesn't use that spell (pure fighter no dips) and Ranged threat is 15' and only 1 AoO/round. I don't think the bonebow is 3.5 either but since its base damage 1d10 is lower than Hank's Bow not fussing about it.

Anyone?

ATHATH
2017-04-06, 10:12 PM
Why can't you look at his character sheet?

SangoProduction
2017-04-06, 10:28 PM
Yeah. Character sheet. Or...have him walk through it with you.

But Bonebow is on page 75 of Frostburn. Basically it's an auto-strength-scaling composite longbow as an exotic weapon. Nothing more, really.

ATHATH
2017-04-06, 10:36 PM
You might want to ask him if he's using dandwiki as a "source" for his character build. If true, it would explain a lot.

Fizban
2017-04-06, 10:39 PM
You get multiple AoOs the same way anyone gets them, Combat Reflexes. You threaten 30' with a bow by nothing that I know of. That ranged threat feat is dragon mag anyway so you've already left 1st party 3.5 and it's entirely possible they've got multiple version from different issues stacked or something.

Rerednaw
2017-04-07, 12:12 PM
Why can't you look at his character sheet?

Because we aren't playing at the moment and I was working on a backup archer toon :)

Rerednaw
2017-04-07, 12:13 PM
You get multiple AoOs the same way anyone gets them, Combat Reflexes. You threaten 30' with a bow by nothing that I know of. That ranged threat feat is dragon mag anyway so you've already left 1st party 3.5 and it's entirely possible they've got multiple version from different issues stacked or something.

Combat Reflexes is a pre-req for the DM#350 feat Ranged Threat...but that explicitly uses up all AoO's for a single ranged one and it's 15' not 30'.

Going to peek at this sheet next session.

Rerednaw
2017-04-08, 09:19 PM
Aha I found out where he got his abilities.

They are 3rd party (Mongoose, etc...).

Special DM dispensation. (I was only allowed core during character creation). The DM has since opened it up to most/all 3.5 but not 3rd party, except for this guy.

Makes me feel better I was pulling out my hair trying to find the WotC source :)

Dagroth
2017-04-08, 11:23 PM

Special DM dispensation. (I was only allowed core during character creation). The DM has since opened it up to most/all 3.5 but not 3rd party, except for this guy.

Makes me feel better I was pulling out my hair trying to find the WotC source :)

Could you list the book and ability, please?

ATHATH
2017-04-09, 02:08 AM

I'm probably being overly suspicious/pessimistic, but this guy doesn't happen to be a close friend and/or crush of the DM irl, does he?

Arael666
2017-04-09, 06:59 AM
[...] That ranged threat feat is dragon mag anyway so you've already left 1st party 3.5 and it's entirely possible they've got multiple version from different issues stacked or something.

I was always under the impression that dragon mag is1st party.

Darrin
2017-04-09, 01:29 PM
I was always under the impression that dragon mag is1st party.

It absolutely is. Says so on the cover.

However... most DMs do not allow it for two reasons:

1) Tracking down a copy of the issue you need is problematic. Many DMs get twitchy about sources if they can't get their hands on an actual book.

2) The content in Dragon was not rigorously playtested, so it's difficult to predict how it will skew game balance. An article in a magazine may not have enough context or design methodology behind it to completely understand how it can be integrated into the DM's current campaign. You have to have some in-depth working knowledge of Dragon Magazine in general to know what stuff is solid and what is sketchy.

Inevitability
2017-04-09, 01:33 PM
Isn't Dragon Magazine more like 2nd party?

Darrin
2017-04-09, 01:49 PM
Isn't Dragon Magazine more like 2nd party?

Not exactly, as "2nd party" in this context usually refers to the consumer. As in, WotC (first party) wants to sell product to gamers (second party). Third party would be a company outside that direct relationship.

I believe what you meant is: Paizo is kinda-sorta more "official" than a non-WotC company publishing 3.x material under a license agreement, but not quite exactly the same corporate entity as WotC (first party). So it's "second party" in the sense that it was sitting in between first party and third party on a scale of "officialness". And while that might be a better description of how some people understand the status of Dragon content being considered "official" rules, from WotC's and Paizo's standpoint every issue carried the "100% Official" marketing tag and was not published under either the D20 or OGL license agreement. While it's true that Paizo exists as a separate corporate entity from WotC, they had an agreement that anything published in Dragon Magazine was considered 1st party (at least from their standpoint). This provided benefits to both Paizo (they sold more issues) and WotC (they sold more hardbacks due to advertising/marketing from Dragon).

Troacctid
2017-04-09, 05:00 PM
Of course all that only applies to the issues done by Paizo, not the ones done by Wizards themselves, which I'm pretty sure are 100% inarguably 1st party.

Rerednaw
2017-04-09, 05:30 PM
Could you list the book and ability, please?

Sorry I heard Mongoose Publishing and don't exactly recall...the feat was something like 'Deadly at Close Range' or some such. Basically PBS, Precise, Combat Reflexes and you gain threat within 30 feet, and can make AoO's with your bow up to normal AoO's.

ATHATH: Not exactly but he does get some unusual treatment. It happens, we shrug and move on. E.g. solo xp, long solo sessions while the rest of the table is on hold. FYI the solo xp was for shooting helpless monsters that could not cross a magical barrier to attack him. While other PC's have soloed encounters no one else has gotten solo xp...and he got xp for what the party was doing at the same time. The party got ~1200 xp for fighting endless waves of plant creatures and he got ~7k, which was pretty significant at level 8. FYI the party druid soloed a triple advanced assassin vine, but that was treated as party xp. I was the druid and didn't mind the party split...I just suggested that all the xp should be...or that shooting helpless targets in a confined space should not be worth much.

It hasn't happened again so I think the DM heard us.