PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Ideas

skywalker
2007-07-28, 12:10 PM
I(as the resident rules lawyer and D&D addict in my group) have been/am equipping a series of level 5 characters for a quick dungeon one-shot. I don't mind doing it, but it kind of bothers me that since I'm the one equipping everybody, everyone is built around the same concept: "+1 weapon, then jam your AC into the stratosphere." Obviously, there are some deviations(the rogue has one less protective item and some masterwork tools, for instance.) but everyone's equipment has been built around that idea. I, as a player, have never played low levels any other way, so consequently I have no other concepts.

What I'm asking for is ideas on equipping level 5s in an alternate manner to the one I've described above, not optimizing, just looking for some more fun alternatives and perhaps the 5 items you think are most fun(and level appropriate) for a level 5 character.

Iku Rex
2007-07-28, 12:29 PM
Available books?

skywalker
2007-07-28, 12:37 PM
Eff, sorry, Core, all the completes, PHB2, BoED, ToB, and MIC(!).

Quietus
2007-07-28, 12:41 PM
Bags of tricks for everyone!

skywalker
2007-07-28, 12:46 PM
Bags of tricks for everyone!

I knew someone was going to say that.

Bag of Tricks guy is DM'ing. We'd probably all get major RP-XP then, tho...

Iku Rex
2007-07-28, 01:46 PM
It's hard to pick only a few, but I'll try.

Lesser crystal of arrow deflection (2500) +5 AC against ranged attacks. Makes a shield more useful and gives a character a unique quality.

Artificers monocle (1500) No more annoying hassle (for both DM and players) with unidentified items.

Goggles of foefinding (2500) Lets you ignore cover. Great item for an archer.

Anklet of translocation (1400) Teleport 10' as swift action 2/day. Nifty.

Hellcat gauntlets (3200) 3/day +3d6 on the wizards fireball. Significant at this level.

Ring of the Darkhidden (2000) Greater invisibility against darkvsion.

Amber amulets of vermin (500-1200) 1/day flashy backup out of nowhere. The Huge monstrous scorpion is best by far, though I suspect that's due to an error. I'd suggest making the scorpion Large or picking one of the other creatures.

Heartseeking amulet (3000) 3/day next attack touch attack. Melee fighters with Power Attack will love it.

Healing Belt (750) Cheap renewable healing.

BTW, "ninjadebugger" has an analysis of MIC items here (http://ninjadebugger.livejournal.com/111021.html). Worth taking a look at even if it's not restricted to low-cost items.

skywalker
2007-07-28, 01:54 PM
Iku, if you have more, that would be fine. I just thought it would be polite to only ask for a few.

I'm certainly open to as many suggestions as I can get.

Iku Rex
2007-07-28, 02:09 PM
The items-by-price tables at the back of the MIC have short descriptions of all the items. In some cases there are so many useful items available for a slot that you may as well read for yourself.

What kind of characters are you equipping? Is there a price limit per item other than the 9000 gp max for a 5th level character?

skywalker
2007-07-28, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I'm aware of the large amount of items in the MIC. It's a great resource, but when I look at items where other people may see "fun," I see "worthless."

I am equipping a high charisma rogue who loves sneak attack, a duskblade, the archer you(Iku) created for me, an enchanter, a cleric, and a swordsage.