PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Generated Characters In Sourcebooks

ViperMagnum357
2017-04-07, 10:51 AM
Alright, I have a question going all the way back to the start of 3rd, and I have not found an answer with a cursory search: while most characters already provided with full stats tend to have competent, basic gear (for non-custom stuff, anyway), most of them have a magic ranged weapon plus ammunition. And so many of them will have masterwork or enchanted ammunition-and not anything good, like Bane or elemental ammunition that could be conceivably useful in different situations. It would be one thing if their expensive ammo was made of special materials or coated in poison, but instead they are given expensive yet crappy ammo with enchantments overridden by the base enhancement on the weapon itself. If this was just the first few books, I would wave it off as an early oddity, but it persisted throughout the edition.

Is there some very simple/obvious reason I am missing, or was this just something they never bothered to put much thought in?

Venger
2017-04-07, 11:02 AM
Alright, I have a question going all the way back to the start of 3rd, and I have not found an answer with a cursory search: while most characters already provided with full stats tend to have competent, basic gear (for non-custom stuff, anyway), most of them have a magic ranged weapon plus ammunition. And so many of them will have masterwork or enchanted ammunition-and not anything good, like Bane or elemental ammunition that could be conceivably useful in different situations. It would be one thing if their expensive ammo was made of special materials or coated in poison, but instead they are given expensive yet crappy ammo with enchantments overridden by the base enhancement on the weapon itself. If this was just the first few books, I would wave it off as an early oddity, but it persisted throughout the edition.

Is there some very simple/obvious reason I am missing, or was this just something they never bothered to put much thought in?

you kind of answered your own question. yes, it was primarily attributable to a degree of laziness.

in addition, if you're running by the book, they assume that you're rolling for treasure on a table, so you supply your players with goodies that way, not solely through the equipment sample NPCs are listed as carrying.

ViperMagnum357
2017-04-07, 11:30 AM
Thanks-I was mostly wondering because they took the time to give them specific, deliberately generic equipment appropriate to their level; the kind of equipment you would be unlikely to roll randomly, that directly increased combat ability-mostly basic enhancements to Damage, AC, and Saves. A completely randomly generated character would end up with a bizarre collection of Wondrous items, way more consumables, and multiple weapons/pieces of armor. If you make the reasonable assumption they trade or sell what they do not want/need, you get something approximating the pregen load out, which also does not explain the ammo.

I will chalk it up to lack of thought, I guess.

nvm-thanks for the PM.

Goladar
2017-04-07, 11:39 AM
I would assume they had to shut down because they were breaking the law.