PDA

View Full Version : Pushing a character into a Wall magically

nickl_2000
2017-04-07, 12:44 PM
Say I have an effect from a spell that pushes an enemy back 10 ft (Eldritch Blast, Thunderwave, whatever), and instad of moving back they are against a wall. Does the enemy take fall damage for being slammed into a wall?

My personal though it that they are being pushed back with significant force that would be almost equivalent for falling 10 feet, so 1d6. However, I could see it argued that there is a difference between the two.

What are other DM and players thoughts on this?

N810
2017-04-07, 12:51 PM
Our DM lets us do this. ;)

Mellack
2017-04-07, 01:00 PM
RAW nothing happens, but it would seem to me to be a reasonable ruling to apply falling damage.

MrStabby
2017-04-07, 04:53 PM
It might depend on the ability and whether it was specific or general. Onto a wall? No extra damage. Walls are common enough that there is nothing special or fun from it - just someone trying to cheese some extra damage. Spikes? A forge? Sure. If there is some cool and interesting environmental interaction then I would allow it - rule of cool and all.

From a physical perspective someone using eldritch blast to drive someone back at a rate of 10ft per round is not really making them move that fast anyway 100ft per minute doesn't really compete with a falling speed. Sure they may not hit the wall at the average speed but then deciding on the speed profile of someone being pushed and staggering backwards is really in the realms of speculation.

Sabeta
2017-04-07, 05:12 PM
Personally, if the target can't be pushed to its new location via wall or some other barrier then they just can't move there. The force pushes them against the wall, but otherwise does no other additional damage. There are abilities (Mystic has one for sure) that specify that a creature takes X Damage if it hits a wall, so I would assume that any abilities that don't can't.

Unless of course they're being pushed against spikes or burning stuff. I can certainly see the argument being made for it though, as many shove abilities don't have a weight limit (ie: You could conceivably shove a Terrasque. If Repelling Blast has that much force it's probably capable of just outright knocking walls over.)