PDA

View Full Version : Adventurer's League on Roll20?

Zanthy1
2017-04-07, 02:54 PM
Hello all! I have recently become aware that the Adventurer's League can be played over Roll20. This strongly appeals to me as the nearest Adventurer's League game shop I have been able to find is over an hours drive away. I love playing 5e and was wondering if anyone in the playground has experience with AL on Roll20, or more specifically has a spot available for a new player to join.

busterswd
2017-04-07, 11:28 PM
Unless you buy the digital, Roll20 versions, it's a pain in the butt.

It's more like a whiteboard with a grid and some generic minis than anything else. Movement tracking, barriers, etc. are pretty much the player and DM's responsibility, so unless the DM find a digital image, he's going to have to spend a lot of time prepping maps for exploration.

The initiative system, the token assets, and the character sheets are cumbersome at best, buggy at worst.

That being said, the fog of war/lighting system is nice, there's a lot of stuff you can do with it (you just need time and prep), there's session scheduling, and built in VoIP.

If I had my druthers, I'd pick in person over roll20, as in person tends to be way easier.