PDA

View Full Version : how do I roll dice?

Edd
2017-04-07, 03:12 PM
how do I roll dice?

i see 4d6b3 in some spoilers but I know i dont just roll dice on my desk and then type it in font.

auto dice roller where?

Rockphed
2017-04-07, 03:42 PM
At some point, they reduced where the die-rollers work. They used to work board wide, but now I think they are limited to the Play-by-post forums.

To use them, the basic rule is to use (number-of-dice)d(die-size) + (bonus)

There are various and sundry options to use (so you can roll 4d6 and drop the lowest, or possibly use multiple die-sizes), but I don't remember any of them. I'm sure somebody has it compiled somewhere, but I do not know where.

1d20

If you want to test things out, there is a thread in the die-rolls forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?360840-Dice-Roller-Test-Thread-IV-A-New-Hope).

Ninja_Prawn
2017-04-08, 05:02 AM
I'm sure somebody has it compiled somewhere, but I do not know where.

That would be here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?360837-This-is-how-you-use-the-Dice-Roller).

The classic 'roll 4d6, drop the lowest' that is often used to determine ability scores is obtained by 4d6b3

Edd
2017-04-13, 01:39 PM
Thank you both very much : ) hopefully I will find time soon to join one of these PbP games !

2D8HP
2017-04-13, 07:43 PM
It's only one character, but for "1d's", you don't have to type out "1d20", just "d20", will suffice.

Also it may just be me, but I actually find typing it out over and over again annoying (especially when I miss type it!), so you may want to send a PM to yourself to copy and paste your "rolls".

Also DON'T PREVIEW!

If you need to check, drop a character from the roll, like this:

[roll]2d6+3[/roll

that way you can preview your post (don't forget to add back the "]" when you post).

Yuki Akuma
2017-04-14, 01:04 AM
Don't edit rolls into or out of posts you've already made, either - the forum will tell everyone you're a dirty cheater if you remove them, and it won't roll them if you add them.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-04-14, 03:34 AM
Don't edit rolls into or out of posts you've already made, either - the forum will tell everyone you're a dirty cheater if you remove them, and it won't roll them if you add them.

Yeah.

If you're playing a game with nested rolls (i.e. you might have to make a second roll depending on the first one), you should probably work out with the DM how you want to handle that. It might be a case of just double-posting, or they might want you to use a different thread, or roll all of the possible dice at once even if they don't turn out to be relevant.