PDA

View Full Version : Superior Inspiration Cheese

lall
2017-04-07, 03:24 PM

Cybren
2017-04-07, 03:26 PM
It's no ones choice other than the DMs as to when initiative is rolled.

nickl_2000
2017-04-07, 03:47 PM
Party doesn't have time to short rest.
Bard is out of BI and needs to make an important ability check.
Bard (to fellow party member): I will destroy you. En garde!
Fellow party member: *sigh*
Initiative is rolled.
Winner of initiative surrenders.
Bard makes check adding BI.
Rinses and repeats as necessary.
Would you allow this near endless supply of BI?

Not a DM, but this seems ludicrous to me. There is no real intent to kill or harm and therefore no need for combat or initiative. A clear violation of the intent of the rule.

Beelzebubba
2017-04-07, 04:45 PM
Would you allow this near endless supply of BI?

Only if I could whack them on their noses with a rolled-up newspaper every time they did that silly thing.

BoxANT
2017-04-07, 10:04 PM
no blood, no inspiration

BiPolar
2017-04-08, 06:46 AM
I'm very confused, if bard has no BI, then how does going into combat generate a BI. Only a short rest can do that. and what level is the bard?

Sans.
2017-04-08, 06:50 AM
copied from PHB:

Superior Inspiration:
At 20th level, when you roll initiative and have no uses of Bardic Inspiration left, you regain one use.

Coffee_Dragon
2017-04-08, 06:52 AM
I'm very confused, if bard has no BI, then how does going into combat generate a BI. Only a short rest can do that. and what level is the bard?

Superior Inspiration is one of those "if you go into combat with no X, you gain a minimum amount of X" abilities, but X has out-of-combat use, leading to the question why you wouldn't always have the minimum amount available for any non-urgent purposes.

Battlebooze
2017-04-08, 07:23 AM
Considering the Barbarian and Druid capstones, I'd give a 20th level bard back his inspiration once every ten minutes of game time, and throw another in at the start of any "real" combat.

BiPolar
2017-04-08, 07:54 AM
Superior Inspiration is one of those "if you go into combat with no X, you gain a minimum amount of X" abilities, but X has out-of-combat use, leading to the question why you wouldn't always have the minimum amount available for any non-urgent purposes.

Gotcha, I really didn't put 2 and 2 together there :) pre coffee question, knowwhatimeandragon?

But yeah, it seems like it makes more sense to say minimum 1 BI per encounter/event.

some guy
2017-04-08, 08:54 AM
Considering the Barbarian and Druid capstones, I'd give a 20th level bard back his inspiration once every ten minutes of game time, and throw another in at the start of any "real" combat.

Yeah, it's level 20, let them be awesome, there's enough ridiculous stuff going around at that level (especially, considering a cleric could do this with cantrips and a lower die at level 1).

RSP
2017-04-08, 02:08 PM
Bards have the worst capstone of any class, first off. Add in that if your level 20 campaign is broken by allowing the Bard to recoup a bardic inspiration using this tactic, there's probably a bigger issue at large than the Bard doing this regularly.