PDA

View Full Version : Player Help So I can cast spells how?

Jqspin
2017-04-07, 05:21 PM
I've made a factotum in our game and levelled up to 4. Now for my 5th level I've decided to take cloistered cleric and get the knowledge devotion feat, that's all good. For my two other domains I'm taking magic and mind.

the magic domain granted power allows me to cast from scrolls and wands as a wizard with half my cleric caster level(minimum lvl 1)

What I'd like to know is:

If I want to cast from wands, I can cast any cleric spell because it's on my list, correct? Does the same work for arcane wands as well or would I have to roll a caster level check to use the wand because the wizard spells aren't on my spell list?

Would the same situation apply using scrolls?

Finally, does the above matter if I'll be boosting my use magic device check as I level?

KillianHawkeye
2017-04-07, 06:24 PM
If I want to cast from wands, I can cast any cleric spell because it's on my list, correct?

Correct.

Does the same work for arcane wands as well or would I have to roll a caster level check to use the wand because the wizard spells aren't on my spell list?

It works like your Cleric spells, because the Magic domain basically gives you pretend access to the Wizard spell list.

Would the same situation apply using scrolls?

Yes, but note the rules about scroll mishaps for when your own caster level is lower than the caster level of the scroll.

Finally, does the above matter if I'll be boosting my use magic device check as I level?

UMD doesn't make a big difference here, although you can use it to emulate a higher Int or Wis in case they aren't high enough for you to use a scroll of a high level spell (you need a score of 10 + spell level, just as if you were casting it yourself).

And actually, you'd still need UMD to use a wand or scroll of a spell that isn't for Clerics or Wizards, like a Bard or a Druid spell, and also possibly to emulate a high enough Charisma.