PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Alter Self, and Outsider

Kavos
2017-04-07, 10:17 PM
Ok, so alot of what I am going to ask is apparantly obvious to others because I can't find any real answers.

1. How do I know what feats I am getting with alter self?
2. What immunities/resistences would I get if any. Example would be if I morphed into a fire mephit, would I be immune to fire, and vulnerable to cold or would I not be.
3. On the same track lets say I become a water mephit, would I be able to drown somehow?
4. One specific creature I like I want to know if it works at all. The Reth Dekala from ToB 154, it does not work without its Ex Airwalk, so if I morphed into it would I just be stuck laying on the ground or is the fire and airwalk considered a natural part of him.

I will probably remember more things that I wanted to ask, but these are the mains ones I can think of right now. Thanks in advance for any help.

Venger
2017-04-07, 10:24 PM
here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3479.0) is a nice chart that answers all the questions you list and some more. bookmark it, it's a useful reference.

Kavos
2017-04-07, 10:49 PM
That list works well for humanoid but does not really answer any of my questions, most outsiders not being races you can play don't list what I am looking for that is why I am trying to see if anyone can better explain, I know all the stuff from that page, but I dont know what symbol shows if something is a racial feat, alot of them have the skills thankfully. Then there is the matter of gross physical qualities, which I know generally means limbs, however a being of fire seems like a gross physical quality even outside of its typing. So if anyone can vaguely explain anything, I know alot of it cannot be pointed out explicitly however I am just trying to get what people think, and this forum has alot of people who know the game inside and out.

Venger
2017-04-07, 10:55 PM
Ok, so alot of what I am going to ask is apparantly obvious to others because I can't find any real answers.

1. How do I know what feats I am getting with alter self?
2. What immunities/resistences would I get if any. Example would be if I morphed into a fire mephit, would I be immune to fire, and vulnerable to cold or would I not be.
3. On the same track lets say I become a water mephit, would I be able to drown somehow?
4. One specific creature I like I want to know if it works at all. The Reth Dekala from ToB 154, it does not work without its Ex Airwalk, so if I morphed into it would I just be stuck laying on the ground or is the fire and airwalk considered a natural part of him.

I will probably remember more things that I wanted to ask, but these are the mains ones I can think of right now. Thanks in advance for any help.
1) you get the feats that are racial bonus feats which are marked with a b
2) no because you do not get subtypes
3) yes because you do not acquire the aquatic subtype even though you gain the ability to swim
4) no. as alter self says, you do not gain extraordinary qualities or attacks. air walk is not a fly speed.

That list works well for humanoid but does not really answer any of my questions, most outsiders not being races you can play don't list what I am looking for that is why I am trying to see if anyone can better explain, I know all the stuff from that page, but I dont know what symbol shows if something is a racial feat, alot of them have the skills thankfully. Then there is the matter of gross physical qualities, which I know generally means limbs, however a being of fire seems like a gross physical quality even outside of its typing. So if anyone can vaguely explain anything, I know alot of it cannot be pointed out explicitly however I am just trying to get what people think, and this forum has alot of people who know the game inside and out.

Type affects nothing on that chart. To clarify on your other questions:

If something is a bonus feat, it is marked with a B. alter self does give you subtypes, as stated in the spell text.

gross physical qualities means limbs, wings, tails, etc, it is not a specialized game term

Bronk
2017-04-08, 07:43 PM

Well, aside from the answers already given, I'd add that no, you wouldn't gain a flight ability if it was Ex.

Also, you didn't mention what your character's true form is, but 'alter self' doesn't let you become a creature with a different type at all, so you'd have to already be an outsider (within one size category of the intended form) for your examples to work.

Eldariel
2017-04-09, 03:37 AM
Here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2811) is a decent listing of Alter Self forms and what they give, including a short list of Outsider forms (it's far from complete, but it's quite usable).