PDA

View Full Version : Strong and fun builds to play?(UA included)

Atomic_Templar
2017-04-07, 11:08 PM
Not really thinking 100% optimized builds, just ones that are on the higher end of the spectrum(or are especially interesting)

Herobizkit
2017-04-08, 05:37 AM
Generally hard to argue with Paladin/Sorcerer. I think it's considered 'top-tier' by way of using Sorcerer spell slots to fuel Paladin smites, among other reasons.

I had a blast playing a Hexblade (Warlock) in 4e and 5e's UA version looks pretty solid. Slap on Aasimar (from Volo's Guide) with the Undying Light pact(? the pact with all the Radiant stuff) and be a Holy Avenger. ^_^

Coyote81
2017-04-08, 07:05 AM
My favorite character I've played so far was a Great Weapon Master Barbarian Totem Warrior with 4 levels of Rune Scribe. Pure beatdown power of a Barbarian, with a ton of utility, harnessing the elements for extra chances to hit with GWM and nice added damage affects.

spartan_ah
2017-04-08, 07:08 AM
Hexblade oath of conquest. Lot's of power lot's of rp.
Mix it with a fallen aasimar

Dudewithknives
2017-04-08, 09:26 AM
Hexblade 2, stone sorcerer x

Charisma to hit and damage
AC based on con not dex
Shield use if needed.
Take fiendish vigor and agonizing blast
Curse target when you have to really burn something down
Twin booming blade or gfb
Quicken eldritch blasts.

BurgerBeast
2017-04-08, 09:48 AM
Single classed tempest cleric. By level 3 you're getting good use of the action economy (action cast or attack, bonus action spiritual weapon, reaction thunderous rebuke), and you have all the strength/versatility of a full caster. Go melee for more fun.

sightlessrealit
2017-04-08, 10:45 AM
Revised Darkstalker Ranger + Mystic

Imagine Batman mixed with Antman & Psylocke

Sir cryosin
2017-04-08, 10:48 AM
Vhuman with tavern brawler. Mystic immortal with the disciplines brute force, giant growth, Nordic step. A huge human punching things sending they flying and teleporting around.

Foxhound438
2017-04-08, 01:29 PM
I dunno, so far my favorites are paladin (any) and shadow monk.

Finlam
2017-04-08, 01:33 PM
The Undying

The shadow sorcerous origin is really interesting, you can choose a quirk to not bleed when cut. You also get a save every time you would drop to 0. If you can do 5+damage dealt con save, can stay up forever, until you get hit by a crit or radiant damage.

With that in mind, go human with Resilient (Con) take 6 levels of paladin, a level of hexblade, and a level of shadow sorc. You now have prof + Con + cha to every con save, and you can use Cha for attack and damage rolls making you one of the SADest characters in the game. Every point of CHA raisers your to hit, your damage, all of your saves, your spell attack, number of paladin spells prepared, and extra hitpoints gained from killing your hexblade curse target.

That's at 8th level. After that go more paladin (oathbreaker) for damage in melee or go for more sorc for versatility, there's really no wrong choice. By the time you hit level 11, commoners could stab you all day and you'd never die until they crit.

Just hang out on the front lines in your heavy armor and never die, all day. Provide excellent support from the paladin and sorc spell list, and enjoy incredible nova abilities between smite, hexblade curse, and good old fashion blow em up sorcerer spells.

CaptainSarathai
2017-04-09, 12:21 PM
If you want fun from Level 1 and want to toss around pretty mad damage, I've been running this guy:

V.Human (Sentinel)
L1. Fighter - Two Weapon Fighter
L2. Warlock - HexBlade (I was not allowed UA and went Fey, could also use Fiend), Hex and Armor of Agathys
L3. Warlock - Fiendish Vigor, Devil's Sight
L4. Warlock - Blade Pact
L5. Warlock - Heavy Armor Master
L6. Warlock - Thirsting Blade
L7. Fighter
L8. Fighter - Battlemaster, Parry, Riposte
L9. Rogue
L10. Rogue
L11. Rogue - Arcane Trickster or Swashbuckler
L12. Rogue
L13. Rogue - Uncanny Dodge
L14+ Warlock, ending with LifeDrinker

This character can throw pretty serious damage, 26+Curse+Stat, twice when he has his Hex and Curse running. That's starting at 2nd level. Increases as you get your Extra Attack, Magic Weapon and Smite invocations (HexBlade), and Sneak Attack.
On top of that -
They hit you, AoA damage and use Parry/Uncanny Dodge + HAM to reduce the damage.
They miss you, Riposte
They hit your friends, Sentinel
They move away, OA
All of these attacks can benefit from Sneak Attack damage, and if you have any spell slots available, you may as well run your "Warlock Smite" Invocations.

The character is playable from L1, and has plenty of options. Far more enjoyable than just sitting back and throwing Agonizing Eldritch Blast over and over again.

HumanSuit
2017-04-09, 01:58 PM
I'm working on a support bard/warlock. It's more RP driven. He went down to the old crossroads and sold his soul to be a great musician. So far he's a lot of fun. I haven't taken and damage in spells or cantrips. He just saunters around the field and makes his allies stronger and his enemies weaker.

Spore
2017-04-09, 02:11 PM
Haven't played him and will not waste him in that silly short adventure we're doing but I like my Variant Human Rogue 1/Monster Hunter x with Resilient Wis, Crossbow Expert 10/16/14/12/14/10 with double prof. in Perception and Stealth. He's basically "Adventurer the class".

He's got 9 skills (4 from rogue, 2 from monster hunter, 1 from human, 2 from background) plus thieves' tools, extra attack, good AC, init, has a utility based combat superiority and featwise the build can go in many directions.