PDA

View Full Version : yurodivy, the Paradoxically Pious Alignment?

Grimjudgment
2017-04-08, 12:05 AM
Okay, so I was talking with one of my friends and thinking of how to properly assign an alignment to a very well known character archetype known as a yurodivy, which is a pious fool in the old standpoint of the Russian Orthodox Church and wanted to figure out how I'd align the character if they behaved as such?

They don't follow the law, mainly because many laws are unjust, but breaks the just laws because they know that they must keep up an act of ignorance, this following a code of conduct to paradoxically enforce the most pure laws as possible.

They tend to do good things with good intentions, but they do it in a way that does not seem good, or it's cryptic. Like a drunk man puking on someone that is supposed to be assasinated at the royal ball and informing them that alcohol would kill the yurodivy as much as the ball would kill them.

Yet, the yurodivy would be willing to, even in the written version, throw rocks at the homes of the pious and caress the walls of the sinners to metaphorically represent the devil's actions, which would be considered petty evil to the observer.

Another aspect is that they will make a fool out of people who, as far as the yurodivy knows, deserves it. To the spectator though? That may seem different.

In every shape and form, the character definitely doesn't seem to be a part of the classical alignment system. If you had to though, what would it be?

Satinavian
2017-04-08, 12:11 AM
Chaotic good.

Grimjudgment
2017-04-08, 12:54 AM
Chaotic good.

I was thinking so, but I was having a discussion with a handful of friends and I was getting mixed answers from everyone.

aberratio ictus
2017-04-09, 07:01 AM
Chaotic good.

Yeah. This.

MrNobody
2017-04-09, 09:14 AM
I agree on chaotic good.

The whole part of doing things that would seem evil "to the observer" (you said this twice in your post) and not really caring about it it's still part of being Chaotic.
That alignment leads to break laws, but also to ignore social rules and taboos, up to not caring at all about what people think about you as long as you are taking a step forward in the war against evil.

Inevitability
2017-04-09, 09:55 AM
Chaotic Good, with shades of Chaotic Neutral and Chaotic Stupid.