PDA

View Full Version : The Dozen Dungeon Challenge!

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-28, 01:11 PM
My creativity has been in the sewers of late and my tank of inspiration going on empty.

So, though I'm probably going to regret this, I'm going to take the next 12 monster suggestions folks give me and have them completely done by this time tomorrow if possible.

Maybe it'll give me a jumpstart... or a breakdown. Either way, won't have to worry about it any more.

Please keep the suggestions original and doable.

And.... GO!

-=-=-=-=-=-

I'll be posting my works in the Homebrew forums, and will post links below.

#1. Dire Duck-Billed Platypus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2950551#post2950551)
#2. Symbiotic Mind, Inspirator (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2951315#post2951315)
#3. Animated Object Swarm (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2951786#post2951786)
#4. Mole from the Deep (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2952527#post2952527)
#5. Claws on the Wall (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2953777#post2953777)
#6. Dying Breath (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2953944#post2953944)
#7. Sentient mushrooms as a PC-playable race
#8. Carnivortex
#9. Fleshwrapper
#10. Blink
#11. Dungeon Fungus
#12.

Jack_Simth
2007-07-28, 01:20 PM
Dungeon Fungus: a mold that digs out dungeons... and adds traps, locked doors, and so on.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-28, 01:26 PM
Errrr... thats bordering plausibility but we'll see what comes to mind.

Note: Just because Dungeon is in the title, none of the suggestions need be limited to literal dungeon-type terrain. Can by any kind of concept.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-07-28, 01:28 PM
Symbiotic Mind:
An ethereal ghost-like creature that bonds with a "host". It lives off his mental stats (penalty to Int, Wis, and/or Cha); in exchange, it provides limited psionic and incarnum powers.

Maltrich
2007-07-28, 01:29 PM
Vorpal Jabberwockies.

They hunt in packs.

CharPixie
2007-07-28, 01:34 PM
The soul feeder -- a creature that seeks the newly dead to feed on their escaping souls.

Attilargh
2007-07-28, 01:38 PM
The Dire Duck-Billed Platypus.

Ryacko
2007-07-28, 01:39 PM
Mole from the Deep: A mole that can detect meat through dirt and burrow towards it to eat it.

Genome
2007-07-28, 01:39 PM
Clockwork Ooze.

Interpret it as you will, but some possibilities are thousands/millions of minuscule gears that end up with a near-ooze appearance with how they flow and roll. Likely has some sort of combustion engine to turn living matter into fuel. Great for a Mechanus encounter or mad genius's workshop.

DaMullet
2007-07-28, 01:42 PM
A living dungeon made entirely of Colossal++ Animated Objects.

Leadfeathermcc
2007-07-28, 01:42 PM
Blink

An abberation that steals the eyes of those it kills, grafting them to its body.

Koji
2007-07-28, 01:48 PM
Whoops, you wanted to homebrew monsters, not take down other peoples' homebrews.

In that case...

Animated object swarm!

Fax Celestis
2007-07-28, 01:51 PM
Sentient mushrooms as a PC-playable race.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-28, 01:52 PM
Carnivortex: an elemental whirlpool that drains energy from living creatures that swallows; think Crystaline Entity, but with potentially loads of treasure from previous victims

Were-Sandwich
2007-07-28, 02:02 PM
Dungam: A collosal+ humanoid Construct with lots of magical goodies that can be ridden and controlled by a 'pilot' of sorts.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-07-28, 02:04 PM
The updated Valkyrie from the Tome of Battle.

With the Monster of Legend template.

:biggrin:

Nnanji
2007-07-28, 02:36 PM
Looks like you alreasy have a dozen replies, but Here's another.

Fleshwrapper A sheet of intelligent skin that wraps around an opponent, then controls the body like a puppet to kill the rest of the party.

edit: Woot! In spite of my many typos, I made the list! Consider me flattered.

ChrisMcDee
2007-07-28, 02:43 PM
A family of Half-Green-Dragon-Alligators.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-28, 02:45 PM
Vorpal Jabberwockies.

They hunt in packs.
Don't think so...

The soul feeder -- a creature that seeks the newly dead to feed on their escaping souls.
Souleater (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/moi_gallery/91238.jpg) - Magic of Incarnum, p. 194.

Clockwork Ooze.

Interpret it as you will, but some possibilities are thousands/millions of minuscule gears that end up with a near-ooze appearance with how they flow and roll. Likely has some sort of combustion engine to turn living matter into fuel. Great for a Mechanus encounter or mad genius's workshop.
Sounds like Belboz's Grey Goo (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2887803&postcount=9).

A living dungeon made entirely of Colossal++ Animated Objects.
Thats not exactly 'an object'.

Dungam: A collosal+ humanoid Construct with lots of magical goodies that can be ridden and controlled by a 'pilot' of sorts.
Sounds like a Flesh Colossus from the Epic Level Handbook.

And btw folks, note the 'original' clause up there. Adding published templates to published creatures are 'not' original.

The Gilded Duke
2007-07-28, 02:45 PM
Evil Salmon

Ditto
2007-07-28, 03:04 PM
Salmon Evil.

That is, come up with a Salmon template, and apply it to a Pit Fiend, Imp, and/or Tiefling. Mm, Salmon Tiefling...

The Gilded Duke
2007-07-28, 03:12 PM
Salmon Evil.

That is, come up with a Salmon template, and apply it to a Pit Fiend, Imp, and/or Tiefling. Mm, Salmon Tiefling...

Yeah, something like that, or a were-salmon or something.

But yeah, a Pit Fiend with the Salmon template, imagine the jump check!

Demented
2007-07-28, 03:14 PM
Claws On The Wall - An oversized tiger... Er, a monstrous snarling feline beast large enough to have 10' reach that prefers to attack its prey on vertical cliff faces or even from roomy dungeon ceilings.

(Heck, housecats do this already. Except they're utterly adorable when doing so.)

hippie_dwarf
2007-07-28, 03:32 PM
Higgins: An old man, who's top half looks like the guy from Ask.com/the monopoly man, and who's bottom half is a woman legs in fish net stockings (has been considered to look similar to the NPC Haskil from the Oblivion expansion, Shivering Isles). All he ever says is his name, he is unique and cannot die. EVER! When you reduce him to -10 HP he just goes unconcious and comes around in 1 round.

This isn't actually my idea, Wraith came up with it one very random night. Friggin' hilarious when he first came up with it.

Foeofthelance
2007-07-28, 03:44 PM
The Jaslegorn: A creature of almost pure chaos, if it manages to hit with all of its attacks in a single round it discards all other damage dice to roll a d30.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-28, 03:46 PM
The Dire Duck-Billed Platypus.
Done and added in first post :smallamused:

Murderous Hobo
2007-07-28, 03:46 PM
Fog of Visions.

Fog of Visions is a creature that feeds of anything consumable that enters it's body. When you enter the Fog of Visions you start to have visions of being a participant of long gone battles and epic duels.

All yours. Including the name.

Koji
2007-07-28, 04:09 PM
Dust monster

A relative of the rust monster that attacks by removing all water from its organic target and eating the dusty remains (think horrid wilting or disintegration in lessened forms).

Assasinater
2007-07-28, 04:23 PM
A swarm of animated daggers.

Dragonmuncher
2007-07-28, 04:53 PM
A monster based on those Russian dolls- Successively smaller monsters inside of larger ones.

Lord Sidereal
2007-07-28, 05:17 PM
Semi-Tame Dwarf Tarrasque

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-28, 06:27 PM
Symbiotic Mind:
An ethereal ghost-like creature that bonds with a "host". It lives off his mental stats (penalty to Int, Wis, and/or Cha); in exchange, it provides limited psionic and incarnum powers.
Done!

Symbiotic Mind, Inspirator (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2951315#post2951315)

Behold_the_Void
2007-07-28, 06:39 PM
Weave Feeder

An extremely dangerous creature that consumes the arcane energy in the area, leaving the place void of magic after it passes through. Constantly seeks out places of high magical concentration and sucks them dry before moving on.

ChrisMcDee
2007-07-28, 07:26 PM
Fine! Original it is.

Chlorodile Family

These Crocodile-like creatures can grow upwards of twenty feet in length and are covered in tough, barbed leather hides. They are a bright, unnatural green and are able to breathe out clouds of highly corrosive gas. On top of this they are seemingly immune to normal acids, often polluting a clean pond or lake into an acidic nest for their growing family.

Belteshazzar
2007-07-28, 07:30 PM
The Hypno-Toad *Bzztsnap All hail the Hypno-Toad! Bzzztcrackle*

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-28, 07:55 PM
Whoops, you wanted to homebrew monsters, not take down other peoples' homebrews.

In that case...

Animated object swarm!
Well, its not exactly original, but I'll go with it.

Done! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2951786#post2951786)

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-28, 08:21 PM
Grrr, well, don't think its likely I'll be making it. Keep having to shut off the comp from thunderstorms all day...

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-28, 08:22 PM
Ouch! You could do it on paper...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-28, 10:38 PM
Mole from the Deep: A mole that can detect meat through dirt and burrow towards it to eat it.
This is the first one I've done today that I'm actually feeling proud of.

Done! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2952527#post2952527)

TheLogman
2007-07-28, 10:54 PM
A creature that can nearly at will change the Battle-Field, at-will controlling everything with Anti-magic fields, Walls of Force, disintegrates to open up holes in the ground and the ability to expand the range of the effects, cause them to happen at a huge distance, and the ability to know what is happening in its domain (Usually terraformed into a dungeon.) There could even maybe to two flavors, one for dungeons and subterranean areas, and then one for Jungles, with more druid spells, like Spike stones, and Animate Plants, with Animate Objects for the Dungeon ones.

Xuincherguixe
2007-07-29, 01:33 AM
Probably you've got twelve already but how about

Riding Squirrel. It's a large squirrel that people (generally elves I would imagine) can ride and shoot arrows off the back off. Unfortunately as they are squirrels it's hard to get them to focus much and they tend to just hop about. But yeah, mostly intended as calvary in the forest. Great for ambushes.

Also it's cute and lets face it, insane.

ALOR
2007-07-29, 01:52 AM
ok so you've probably already got your 12 monsters but i would love to see a hyper-intelligent shade of the color blue stated out. it's kind of a inside joke with our gaming group but it could be intresting in a dungeon. :smallbiggrin:

Mike_Lemmer
2007-07-29, 02:35 AM
You mean an inside joke of any H.P. Lovecraft and/or Douglas Adams fan?

The New Bruceski
2007-07-29, 03:42 AM
The shattering wind: a superheated desert twister that attacks by fusing the sand swirling inside into shards of glass.

hippie_dwarf
2007-07-29, 08:48 AM
i would love to see a hyper-intelligent shade of the color blue

HAHAHA! That is the single funniest thing in the entire book, i haven't heard anyone say that for at least a year.

SITB
2007-07-29, 09:07 AM
The Hypno-Toad *Bzztsnap All hail the Hypno-Toad! Bzzztcrackle*

I. MEANT. TO. ASK. YOU. ABOUT. FLOWERS.

Star control II much?

A breed of angels who are tasked with creating stories and myths (either through practician or otherwise) that encourage morality.

evisiron
2007-07-29, 09:34 AM
Jigsaw undead.

They replace limbs with different ones (eg, bone arm for zombie leg) to mess with DR and do different damage types themselves.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-29, 10:28 AM
Claws On The Wall - An oversized tiger... Er, a monstrous snarling feline beast large enough to have 10' reach that prefers to attack its prey on vertical cliff faces or even from roomy dungeon ceilings.

(Heck, housecats do this already. Except they're utterly adorable when doing so.)
I think I'm coming out of my writer's block.

Done! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2953777#post2953777)

ziratha
2007-07-29, 10:53 AM
I would request a creature color coded for your convenience. I dont care what kind it is and what not. My only concern is that when in battle, it will change colors based on the color of clothing/flesh of the creature it is battling and the color of the creature reflects it's current abilities perhaps even stats(though not a deal breaker).

ps. Extra points if it is 'cute'.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-29, 11:53 AM
Fog of Visions.

Fog of Visions is a creature that feeds of anything consumable that enters it's body. When you enter the Fog of Visions you start to have visions of being a participant of long gone battles and epic duels.

All yours. Including the name.
Now this one got the creative juices going.

Hows this look? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2953944#post2953944)

Bassetking
2007-07-29, 12:14 PM
Hrm.... Let's see here...

Pick any 'ya choose, Trib!

1) A living cloud of gravel that slays by abrading its foes? Perhaps represented as a sentient Swarm-mind Golem? One mind, shared across thousands of tiny, shredding pebbles?

2) An instrument construct. A creature borne from the darkest evils of Chirugery and mad, bad science, this construct isn't just the Creature from the labs, it's what brought the creature to life, and is furious over the life that has been denied it so often. IT brought them to life, why shouldn't it get to live as well?

3) Harvestborne. Outsiders drawn by the energies of harvest, and which trade their assistance in aiding the harvest for corporeal, gourd and wheat bodies, made from the best of the crop.

4) Shell Horror. A favorite of seaside wizards, these undead creatures made from monsterous crab carapaces, monsterous squidbits, and terrible, terrible clams, terrorize beaches and sno-cone shacks by day, and spend their nights hulking up and down the sand, preying on those who like long, slow walks.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-29, 01:08 PM
Oh well, got half a dozen done at least, but it did the job anyways.

I'll get to the others at my leisure ;)

Yahzi
2007-07-29, 04:35 PM
My creativity has been in the sewers of late and my tank of inspiration going on empty.
Did you see the Book of Armies (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37056) thread? Some great ideas in there for everything from encounters with patrols to whole invasions.

tannish2
2007-07-29, 04:47 PM
12 foot tall fire breathing cyborg hoversalmon... like the easter bunny IRL (idk why hes called that, or what the eggs are for)