PDA

View Full Version : Are there any tiny humanoid races?

Nebuul
2017-04-08, 02:34 AM
The title says it all -- is there a single RAW tiny humanoid race in all of D&D 3.5e? I'm looking for something a gnome could alter self into.

Celestia
2017-04-08, 02:42 AM
Kobolds are small, but with the Slight Build racial trait, they count as tiny for most purposes. Otherwise, I don't know of any.

ben-zayb
2017-04-08, 04:21 AM
By strict RAW? No.

That said, Dragonborn isn't a template, it doesn't require being a humanoid, and it sets your type to humanoid. Basically, you could Alter Self into any Dragonborn <any Tiny monster>. To clarify, this requires deliberately selective reading of the rules where it benefits you, so take this with a Wall of Salt.

Celestia
2017-04-08, 05:13 AM
By strict RAW? No.

That said, Dragonborn isn't a template, it doesn't require being a humanoid, and it sets your type to humanoid. Basically, you could Alter Self into any Dragonborn <any Tiny monster>. To clarify, this requires deliberately selective reading of the rules where it benefits you, so take this with a Wall of Salt.
Dragonborn does no such thing. A creature's type is unchanged by it.

ben-zayb
2017-04-08, 05:34 AM
Dragonborn does no such thing. A creature's type is unchanged by it.
Check your book:
Humanoid (dragonblood): Dragonborn are humanoids with the dragonblood subtype and any other subtypes they had before undergoing the Rite of Rebirth.Now, this wouldn't be a problem if you are required by RAW to be a humanoid, as there would be no type change. However this simply is the RAW prerequisite:
In order to be accepted as a suitable candidate, the supplicant must be non-evil and have an Intelligence score of at least 3.

Vizzerdrix
2017-04-08, 05:51 AM
Return to Nature on either an eneko or a half giant, but I dont think that helps you much.

ShurikVch
2017-04-08, 07:08 AM
Are there any tiny humanoid races?The only one I'm aware of is Mite (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mite_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)) from Dangerous Denizens: The Monsters of Tellene

Soranar
2017-04-08, 07:10 AM
the jermlaine and the muckdweller are both tiny if I remember right

DrMotives
2017-04-08, 07:43 AM
the jermlaine and the muckdweller are both tiny if I remember right

Jermlaine are fey, not sure about muckdweller.

PacMan2247
2017-04-08, 07:48 AM
The 'prerequisites' section on dragonborn only stipulates that an applicant must be non-evil and have an Intelligence score of 3, but the second sentence of the chapter states "Each one enters the world as a Halfling, an elf, a human, or a member of some other humanoid race with all that race's propensities and traits." A very strict reading of "including a handful of scales from a metallic dragon" in the 'Cost' section would also make actual hands a requirement, but since the humanoid bit is already covered, I think you'd have to be looking for an excuse to bar amputees and spell-damaged supplicants to pick that fight.

Soranar
2017-04-08, 08:57 AM
muckdweller is a monstrous humanoid

monster finder says there is no such thing as a tiny humanoid, sorry

Malimar
2017-04-08, 09:21 AM
Check your book:Now, this wouldn't be a problem if you are required by RAW to be a humanoid, as there would be no type change. However this simply is the RAW prerequisite:

Check your book, specifically the The Mechanics Of Rebirth sidebar.

Type, Subtype, and Race: You retain your original type and subtypes, gaining the dragonblood subtype. You still count as a member of your original race for the purpose of any effect or prerequisite that depends on race.

ben-zayb
2017-04-08, 09:46 AM
Check your book, specifically the The Mechanics Of Rebirth sidebar.
So since we have conflicting text, but both of which are RAW, it seems like the trick requires... I dunno, selective reading and deliberately ignoring the contradictory half of the rules?

By strict RAW? No.

:smallsigh:
You know, whoever you're replying to should've really clearly clarified that. Maybe even should've emphasized to take it with far more than a grain of salt, or something.

Rerednaw
2017-04-08, 09:57 AM
To OP does it have to be via Alter Self?
Would Reduce Person work for you?

Inevitability
2017-04-08, 01:45 PM
Be a jermlaine or muckdweller, make up some backstory about a kinky Master of Many Forms knocking up your great-grandmother (D&D humans being what they are), and take Human Heritage?

Venger
2017-04-08, 01:56 PM
Be a jermlaine or muckdweller, make up some backstory about a kinky Master of Many Forms knocking up your great-grandmother (D&D humans being what they are), and take Human Heritage?

to be fair, commoners don't have know (local) as a class skill. if someone says "how do you do, fellow human?" they take it at face value.

DrMotives
2017-04-08, 02:05 PM

That won't help, the player is a gnome who wants to Alter Self into a tiny humanoid. Instead of Human Heritage, they'd need a Fey Heritage or something that opened up more types with Alter Self.

Venger
2017-04-08, 02:08 PM
That won't help, the player is a gnome who wants to Alter Self into a tiny humanoid. Instead of Human Heritage, they'd need a Fey Heritage or something that opened up more types with Alter Self.

He means instead of being a gnome, if the game's not started yet begin as a jermlaine/muckdweller and get human heritage to qualify for type stuff. fey heritage does not change your type to fey for the purposes of effects.

Celestia
2017-04-08, 03:55 PM
So since we have conflicting text, but both of which are RAW, it seems like the trick requires... I dunno, selective reading and deliberately ignoring the contradictory half of the rules?

:smallsigh:
You know, whoever you're replying to should've really clearly clarified that. Maybe even should've emphasized to take it with far more than a grain of salt, or something.
The whole humanoid thing was written while under the impression that players only ever play as humanoid races. After all, why would anyone play something else? It was later clarified (I don't remember if it was errata or FAQ) that creature type is unchanged.

Nebuul
2017-04-08, 05:28 PM
To OP does it have to be via Alter Self?
Would Reduce Person work for you?

Well, the goal would be to alter self and then reduce person after you did that.

Also, my game group only allows the basic races in PHB, so no doing weird stuff.

Thurbane
2017-04-08, 06:52 PM
It's templated, so you can't Alter Self into it, but...a Tiny humanoid-shaped construct that becomes an Incarnate Construct is a Humanoid.

Maybe in your campaign a race of these have bred true, and are no longer templated?