PDA

View Full Version : Built for Defense

CrazedGoblin
2007-07-28, 01:29 PM
For a long time now ive enjoyed playing characters more suited to defending, the kind of ones that can protect casters from harm while holding the line type thing.

The kind of defense i prefer is the sheild and plate armour to spells and magic, but ive mainly been making these builds on Neverwinter Nights one and two, such builds as the basic fighter sword/sheild high AC or a dex fighter useing a staff (on NWN parry looks and sounds good with a staff) and lots of points in parry.

Does anyone have any experiance with any other builds that are well suited for defense?

CrazedGoblin
2007-07-28, 01:33 PM
oops wrong forum, could a very kind moderator move it please :smallbiggrin:

Lord Herman
2007-07-28, 01:34 PM
The Knight from PHB2 is perfect for defence. The class is completely built around defending the rest of the party.

Unfortunately, the one time I got to play a knight, there were no squishies in the party. By squishies I mean wizards, rogues, archers, etc. - anyone who actually needs defending. A knight is still awesome to play, but it can feel a bit pointless without squishies.

I don't think the Knight is in any of the NWN games, though.

Oh, and shouldn't this be in one of the gaming boards? Never mind, you noticed it yourself.

edit: If you want a mod to move your thread, you should PM one of them, or alternatively, report your own post.

ForzaFiori
2007-07-28, 01:51 PM
dwarven defender.

though idk if its in NWN

Ranis
2007-07-28, 01:52 PM
Sorry, but this bothers me to no end.

Defense is spelled with an "S," not a "C."

Thank you.

CrazedGoblin
2007-07-28, 01:54 PM

Thank you.

sorted :smallbiggrin:

Ranis
2007-07-28, 02:03 PM
If you go for the Knight from PHBII, I highly recommend you use a weapon with a 10' reach, so that when you get to the level that you gain the ability that you threaten anywhere you reach, you get AoO's out the wazoo while you just stand there, a pillar of defense AND death.

Lord Herman
2007-07-28, 02:18 PM
Or be an half-ogre with a spiked chain :smalltongue:

ChrisMcDee
2007-07-28, 02:28 PM

Thank you.

I think C is the English spelling and S is the American English spelling. I'm not sure though, I'm no linguist :smallwink:

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-28, 02:45 PM

Thank you.

Depends on what country you're in, mate.

Belial_the_Leveler
2007-07-28, 02:48 PM
Surprisingly, A Hexblade/Blackguard/Barbarian/F. Berzerker is very, very good for defence. Insane saves especially versus magic, mettle and temporary immortality vs damage.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-07-28, 02:51 PM
Surprisingly, A Hexblade/Blackguard/Barbarian/F. Berzerker is very, very good for defence. Insane saves especially versus magic, mettle and temporary immortality vs damage.

Then he rolls a 1, explodes, and kills his party (who can't rely on his low Will save to control him).

Thexare Blademoon
2007-07-28, 02:55 PM
On the subject of the Knight, and since you mentioned NWN in the original post, it was just added to the PRC (http://www.nwn2prc.com/) recently. However, the current version's a beta with a lot of debug text added in that might annoy the hell out of you.

Even without that, the Dwarven Defender is available in NWN with one of the expansions.

Matthew
2007-07-28, 04:11 PM
Depends on what country you're in, mate.

Indeed: American and British English Spelling Differences (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences)

Generally speaking, a good many British words end with 'ce' to distinguish them phonetically as the noun from the verb form, as in the case of 'advice and advise'. The same practice is retained even for nouns that cannot be so easily modified to become verbs.

ChrisMcDee
2007-07-28, 04:19 PM
Interesting language fact of the day :smallsmile:

tannish2
2007-07-28, 06:09 PM
the ultimate defender character, i actually built it, idk about NWN but if your working from real D&D heres the cheese: monk 2 tatooed monk 2 favored soul 3 or 4 pious templar 1 paladin 2 (or hexblade 3) you might want to add more in the monk or tatooed monk classes, while u have them, or not, but this should put your saves at mildly godly, adding 2 stats to AC and each save, thats happy, with evasion and mettle decent HP and insane AC if you do a few more monk levels, and since everything will be within a few levels of each other you wont take EXP penaltys for long, and if you take the monk classes early.... not to mention the healabiliy that favored soul gives you, then add some luck feats so you can take the damage for your allies and reroll failed saves...... then take any later levels in favored soul, or other multi-save classes, maybe ranger, or take tatooed monk last, and make your first tatoo the spell resistance one, and take all later levels in tatooed monk.... spend all you money on defence items, and your happy, and by happy i mean a character full of cheese with no real identity, but if your just going mechanics and not RPing, (which i would never do and have never done, and clearly know nothing about <.< >.>) this is the ultimate rock, and if you add a barbarian level for even more movespeed, it becomes a thrown rock, or going into sacred fist is always a possibility, any way you do it with this general build, you have some rockcheese

RAGE KING!
2007-07-28, 09:27 PM
...going for a barbarian thing, for the whole will bonus idea would be okay, but then you would have to go for a race that can get stone rage as a feat (+1 nat armour during rages.)

id just go for a dwarven defender fighter, with really powerful armour, and maybe a few levels of barbarian. he would have a goliath greathammer (for sundering) and a bashing shield.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-07-28, 09:48 PM
For the ultimate in melee battlefield control...

EWP: Spiked Chain, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, and Combat Reflexes. Everyone in 10' of you fall down go boom. Combine with Power Attack for extra fun, since a trip attempt is a touch attack and so ignores armor. It won't work on everything, but it will work on most humanoids. For extra fun, get a sorcerer or wizard cohort with Enlarge Person to not only increase your damage, but your reach as well.

I don't know how this will work in NWN2, what their rules are for tripping, and reach, and if they have the infamous Spiked Chain in their program. Otherwise, you could theoretically have all this by level 2 as a human fighter. Then just tack on Barbarian levels for more damage output and bigger hit dice.