PDA

View Full Version : castle fight builds

Satsujinki
2017-04-08, 06:38 AM
Ok, so here is the deal. My player will soon assault a castle to overthrow the local king and take control of the city.
But.... i dunno what to put inside this dungeon/castle.
the castle in question is this:
http://imgur.com/a/vLMzM
how it'll develop is that will be a distraction made by others, and while the distraction is on, they will enter the castle, clean it up and claim the city free of the government now in act.
The group is of 5 players, all level 10divided in: a totem barbarian halforc, battlemaster dwarf, high elf arcane trickster, high elf divinator wizard, ranger.

pls help i dunno what sort of traps or fights i should set up. Maybe wizards from volo's with some monster conjured by them?

Potato_Priest
2017-04-08, 03:17 PM
When I needed to protect a king, I had one abjuerer (from volo's) who could use his arcane ward on the king, and 8 or so veterans in half plate. I was only dealing with a lvl 7 party of all-martials, though. I'd take a look at the shield guardian construct from the monster manual. It seems like the sort of thing you're looking for.

Zanthy1
2017-04-08, 03:48 PM
I feel like any traps would have to be ones that would be quickly set up, probably from a spell of some sort. Look through the spell list and find a couple that make sense to be put up in times of attack. Maybe some glyphs of warding, hypnotic patterns, alarm obviously.

The court spell casters should be present as well along with a garrison of the royal guard. I always like to put a timer on things, so maybe have a messenger from the royal guard run to warn the army that is dealing with the distraction that the King is in danger, that way the players feel a little rushed to finish their business before the reinforcements arrive.

Don't forget to include a bunch of archers/crossbowmen from obscure balconies and towers. They'll probably only being doing a few points of damage, but its all about whittling the PCs down and making them sweat. This is a coup after all.

Potato_Priest
2017-04-08, 04:12 PM
Don't forget to include a bunch of archers/crossbowmen from obscure balconies and towers. They'll probably only being doing a few points of damage, but its all about whittling the PCs down and making them sweat. This is a coup after all.

Plus, it's a great opportunity for the king to shout "Archers!"

It's the "oongawa" of the fantasy genre

Dudewithknives
2017-04-08, 05:45 PM
Use plenty of locked and barred doors.

Go with the old add age of. Send enough.

Also have the king be a level 11 rogue assassin using a fake identity. Even his 20 armed guards don't know.

The will not beat his skill checks.

Meanwhile in the next room the real king is sitting in a leomunds tiny hut with 8 fighter level 3 champions with bows, action surge and a crit on 19-20, with readied actions to shoot the first person through the door. The last person in the hut is the advisor sorcerer who will just teleport the king and himself away and there is nothing they can do to stop it because his metamagics are quicken and subtle metamagic.

Tis is if the king is just and good, it is worse if the king is evil.

Asmotherion
2017-04-08, 06:31 PM
Ok, so here is the deal. My player will soon assault a castle to overthrow the local king and take control of the city.
But.... i dunno what to put inside this dungeon/castle.
the castle in question is this:
http://imgur.com/a/vLMzM
how it'll develop is that will be a distraction made by others, and while the distraction is on, they will enter the castle, clean it up and claim the city free of the government now in act.
The group is of 5 players, all level 10divided in: a totem barbarian halforc, battlemaster dwarf, high elf arcane trickster, high elf divinator wizard, ranger.

pls help i dunno what sort of traps or fights i should set up. Maybe wizards from volo's with some monster conjured by them?

Any full caster with access to Fireball/Wall of Stone. Preferably with Counterspell/Dispell Magic as well, to counter incoming fireballs and summons from the opponent.

Fireball is the good-old recipy for AoE damage. Hit a bunsh of enemies, potentially kill all the fodder mooks in a region (thus preventing them from using their number of attacks and criple your party). Rince and repeat on an other part of the Walls. 3-4 well placed ones will take care of most mooks on the opponent's side. You can get a better view with Fly, and an occasional Wall of flames might include more foes, but fireball can still work wonders, as an all-time classic.

Wall of Stone can use your opponent's own walls as the "firm foundation of stone" needed, and build stairs, etc... basically using their own wall against them. It also becomes permanent if you concentrate for the full duration, wich is the reason I love it more than passwall. That said, if you attack with a small party rather than an army, passwall is still a perfect option, to fast forward your way into the king's chambers and avoid unnecessary fights. If the king appears too problematic, enclose him into a permanent wall of stone with multiple layers of Wall, just to be sure. Then leave him starve to death (As long as he can't somehow teleport, which I doupt, as it would be one of the most important things a king would ensure).

If someone tryes to interfear with your spells with a counterspell, counter their counterspell with your own counterspell (like any Yougioh player would do).

Dispell Magic is there for preventing the enemy from using your own strategies against you. should he be out of range for a counterspell, and casts for example a Wall of Fire, you'll just need to run to it and dispell it on your turn.