PDA

View Full Version : [Spoilers] V as Elan's mentor

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-28, 01:32 PM
I actually thought this latest strip was a really cool moment, with V tutoring Elan and helping him to use all of his... *cough* potential. I suppose we could trace the foreshadowing all the way back to http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0066.html strip 66, where V is out of magic and has to instruct Elan on what to do. I can actually see this pair-up happening often, as it seems like Elan and V have surprisingly good chemistry (the Elanicalicus mini-arc was the only other time they've really interacted). They don't play off of each other often but when they do it's always interesting. Does anyone else want to see them working together again?

Rajhiim
2007-07-28, 01:52 PM
V and E teaming up makes me smile.

Nomadic
2007-07-28, 02:58 PM
They do tend to make a nice team. V's intellect showing elan how to make the best of his powers. Along with the above mentioned comic there was the one where V showed elan how to inspire haley to open the locks

:elan: I believe in you
:haley: *click*

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-28, 03:56 PM
They do tend to make a nice team. V's intellect showing elan how to make the best of his powers. Along with the above mentioned comic there was the one where V showed elan how to inspire haley to open the locks

:elan: I believe in you
:haley: *click*

I had forgotten about that one! Remember from the Elanicalicus arc, Elan pretty much wrote in permanent marker that he looked up to V. "I... I just wanted to be smart, and, and cool, and powerful like, you, and... and..."

So Elan really does consider V as a role-model, maybe even as much as Roy. He looks at Belkar as a friend (sometimes), Haley as a lover, Roy and V as people to emulate, and Durkon as... well, shoot. Durkon doesn't get enough screen time for anyone to think of him as much of anything, now does he? :smalltongue:

O.T.R
2007-07-28, 04:01 PM
It's a nice enough Lenny and George relationship they could have going. Elan's use-impairment seems to come from no-one having had the patience to show him how to be effective, until V and Julio [people with copies of Origins, feel free to correct me]

But how Haley and Belkar have been getting on has been more interesting to me: the restrained psycho and the essentially good-hearted kleptomaniac. It's less familiar territory than the smart-stupid double act (overdone, let's face it),yet Haley probably has more in common with Belkar (thieving, subterfuge) than any other character bar Xykon. And hey, Belkar draws out her dark side, which always makes for a more interesting character:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0171.html

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-28, 04:22 PM
It's a nice enough Lenny and George relationship they could have going. Elan's use-impairment seems to come from no-one having had the patience to show him how to be effective, until V and Julio [people with copies of Origins, feel free to correct me]

But how Haley and Belkar have been getting on has been more interesting to me: the restrained psycho and the essentially good-hearted kleptomaniac. It's less familiar territory than the smart-stupid double act (overdone, let's face it),yet Haley probably has more in common with Belkar (thieving, subterfuge) than any other character bar Xykon. And hey, Belkar draws out her dark side, which always makes for a more interesting character:

I agree. Haley, despite being good, DOES have a dark side that shows from time to time. It just makes her a better character.

TreesOfDeath
2007-07-28, 04:53 PM
Elan and V rocks as a comedy duo, and they make a good pair.
Hope to see more ELan and V in the future!
Atually i'm gonna post that in the comic thread

TroyXavier
2007-07-28, 06:55 PM
I like it when Elan and V work together. Arcane goodness abounds.

RAGE KING!
2007-07-28, 08:10 PM
int, and charisma all the way!

they're a great team, and i hope they work together more (maybe elan will multiclass to sorc, or wizard.)

Ithekro
2007-07-28, 08:19 PM
How would a multi-class from Bard-(prestige class: Dashing Swordsman)-Wizard work? He's got something like 12 levels of Bard and probably one of his new prestige class. How is taking a level in wizard going to help him now?

(Can one Class back into Bard after taking a prestige class? I'm unfamiliar with how this works)

kirbsys
2007-07-28, 08:20 PM
Elan's use-impairment seems to come from no-one having had the patience to show him how to be effective, until V and Julio [people with copies of Origins, feel free to correct me]

Actually, origins provides another character that ignores him due to his use-impairment. I agree whole-heartedly with you.

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-28, 08:22 PM
Actually, origins provides another character that ignores him due to his use-impairment. I agree whole-heartedly with you.

I whole-heartedly agree with your whole-hearted agreement.

Chronos
2007-07-28, 10:49 PM
(Can one Class back into Bard after taking a prestige class? I'm unfamiliar with how this works)At any level, one can advance in any class (provided any requirements are met). It may or may not be a good idea to do so, though.

Elan could take another level of Dashing Swordsman, or he could go back to bard, or he could take some other prestige class he qualified for, or he could even switch to wizard or some other base class. I think the first two are by far the most likely. And assuming that his Cha hasn't risen to 20, the only thing he'd gain going from Bard 12 to Bard 13 is one more fourth-level spell slot and one more use per day of bardic music, so if he's metagaming, Dashing is probably most likely.

Holy_Knight
2007-07-29, 12:47 AM
I actually thought this latest strip was a really cool moment, with V tutoring Elan and helping him to use all of his... *cough* potential. I suppose we could trace the foreshadowing all the way back to http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0066.html strip 66, where V is out of magic and has to instruct Elan on what to do. I can actually see this pair-up happening often, as it seems like Elan and V have surprisingly good chemistry (the Elanicalicus mini-arc was the only other time they've really interacted). They don't play off of each other often but when they do it's always interesting. Does anyone else want to see them working together again?

I like it too, and there's actually more interplay than that. Elan mentions to Haley at one point that V has been helping him to use his illusions better, so I think V mentoring Elan has been sort of an ongoing thing since Elanicalicus. (There's also the time when V explains the laws of random encounter probability to him, although that's not about magic specifically.)

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-29, 12:49 AM
I like it too, and there's actually more interplay than that. Elan mentions to Haley at one point that V has been helping him to use his illusions better, so I think V mentoring Elan has been sort of an ongoing thing since Elanicalicus. (There's also the time when V explains the laws of random encounter probability to him, although that's not about magic specifically.)

I remember Elan saying that, but could you remind me which strip?

Holy_Knight
2007-07-29, 01:05 AM
I remember Elan saying that, but could you remind me which strip?

Here it is! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0217.html)

Roderick_BR
2007-07-29, 02:34 AM
If by good chemistry, you mean Vaarsavius reminding Elan that he even has magic, then you're right :smallwink:
But really, that kind of interaction among characters makes the comic get even more amazing. The characters act like real people, one reminding the other of what they can do, and one teaching new tricks to the other.

Felixaar
2007-07-29, 05:53 AM
Also, if you check out when they fought the ogres, Elan says V's been helping him with his illusions.

Yeril
2007-07-29, 09:21 AM
V used aid another to give Elan a +2 circumstance bonus to the will save DC on his spell.

Siwenna
2007-07-29, 07:02 PM
V and Elan is OK, but it seems to be more like V telling Elan what to do when she is out of spells than them working together. I imagine that V showed Elan some stuff with his illusions to make up for upseting him after the Elanicalicus incident.

I much prefer Belkar and Haley. Belkar seems more willing to compromise with Haley than any other characters and is actually helping. She makes him more useful while he brings out her evil side. (As a side note, I would much rather Haley be in a relationship with Belkar than Elan.)

Ithekro
2007-07-29, 11:03 PM
Well this is the second or third time she's lead Belkar on a mission. The first one ended because they suck at spot and listen checks (ninja goblins), the second time ended with a tent being set of fire and Haley getting the point on leadership across to Belkar through threat of violence. This time thinks are going a little smoother, probably because they both have something at stake (Haley doesn't want to be in command and she's loyal to Roy. Belkar has the Mark of Justice and can't leave Roy behind even if he wanted to, so it is in his best intrests to get Roy back safe and relatively intact). This may show some advancement in the characters themselves, since they are working together because they want to rather than because it is a contracted job or there is a potential reward in it for them. Or this may just show that even Belkar will do the right thing if properly motivated.

As for Elan and V, they seem to work well together because Elan will listen to V and V is nothing if not willing to talk about magic if V assumes the listener will be able to grasp the concept (Elan grasping the concept seems like a long shot, but he is a caster, so therefore someone V can talk to about magic).

SoD content spoiler:
Odd. Elan is in Xykon's position verses wizards. Elan is looked down on for his intellect and Xykon was looked down on for being a sorcerer (assumed to have low intellect as the magic is a gift from birth rather than studied like a wizard). At least with Elan and V their relationship and personalities seem to go better than anything Xykon ever did.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-07-29, 11:19 PM
V and Elan is OK, but it seems to be more like V telling Elan what to do when she is out of spells than them working together. I imagine that V showed Elan some stuff with his illusions to make up for upseting him after the Elanicalicus incident.

I much prefer Belkar and Haley. Belkar seems more willing to compromise with Haley than any other characters and is actually helping. She makes him more useful while he brings out her evil side. (As a side note, I would much rather Haley be in a relationship with Belkar than Elan.)

You remember the Lust/Hate story arc, right?

Kurald Galain
2007-07-30, 01:07 AM
(Can one Class back into Bard after taking a prestige class? I'm unfamiliar with how this works)

Yes. To my knowledge the only classes that one can't advance in again after leaving them are paladin and monk.