PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Q:Could you help me with some different Magus builds?

CrimsonRaven
2017-04-08, 08:47 AM
Q: I am searching for some different Magus Builds. One of My pc's wants to play a Magus, and I am trying to see different ways he could build him, in order to give him a unique flavour. I am not asking for optimization builds. Just for things that work, and will not be wasted feats, and still give a different flavour. I was thinking for a dervish dance build. Is it viable?

Kurald Galain
2017-04-08, 09:19 AM
Q: I am searching for some different Magus Builds.

A: Here you go! (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?423754-Myrrh-Frankincense-and-Steel-Kurald-Galain-s-Guide-to-the-Magus)

CrimsonRaven
2017-04-08, 10:11 AM
Thank you very much! It looks like a very interesting guide. Still if you could I would appreciate if you were to make some clarifications to me.

You said that the Strength Magus is more accurate and damaging, but ins't the dex Magus, equally accurate damaging, with the dervish dance feat, whih you can get quite early either way (Level 3 if I am not mistaken) ? While remaining a high AC, and his movement speed unaffacted?

Lunging Spell Touch. This seems to be for spell combat but not for spell strike. Correct or did I misaprehend it?

On the Eldritch Assault feat. Shouldn't you be concealed for this to work? Isn't it hugely situational or is it me? Can you cast invisibility to yourself during combat? ( Shouldnt you have to stealth first? ) ( I am talking for before you get Greater Invisibility)

On the Weapons Finesse Feat. "Because of errata, this no longer works with Slashing Grace or Fencing Grace." This refering to? You mean you can't used slasshing grace or fencing grace, when having a spell chared on the other hand? Then what about using only spell strike? And not holding charges in your hand?

Arcane Mark - Not seeing how doing a meele tocuh attack with arcane mark gives you anything but a -2 on your Attack Rolls. Am I missing something :/

Florian
2017-04-08, 10:30 AM
@CrimsonRaven:

A STR-Magus can take Power Attack and switch to two-handing a regular weapon for added damage w/o a hassle. The feats you sink into making DEX-2-DMG work, the STR magus already has Weapon Focus and Power Attack going.

CrimsonRaven
2017-04-08, 10:40 AM
Ok that does make some sense. It must be becaue I am not a fan of power attack ( Nor piranha strike for that matter) that I did not see it that way. I am still more of a fan of the Dex Magus the way I see it, for the higher AC, but yeah the STR one still has his advantages

Kurald Galain
2017-04-08, 10:56 AM
Ok that does make some sense. It must be becaue I am not a fan of power attack ( Nor piranha strike for that matter)
You are quite correct, neither of these feats is a good choice for a Magus.

I have not said anywhere that the strength Magus is more accurate. He is, however, more damaging because he adds 1.5 times his strength bonus on attacks outside of spell combat. And he saves two feats, which is an important difference.

CrimsonRaven
2017-04-13, 07:48 AM
Ah yeap got it. The strength modifier on damage icnrease, when wielding an OH weapon with both hands. Makes sense