PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a magic user very focused on his physical shield?

Talionis
2017-04-08, 10:36 AM
I'm looking for ideas on a magical character fixated on defensive abilities and a physical shield. My player says he wants the player to use magic defensively. Obviously the character needs something for offense too but the focus of the character is protecting himself and the people around him.

Paladin is obvious to look at what are the good spells and builds that make that make sense?

But I think he's looking for a full caster or full caster with small dips out of full caster.

Vorpalchicken
2017-04-08, 10:59 AM
Forge cleric (UA)? (Or any cleric really, Human can take Shield master) Human Lore Bard with Moderately Armored? Hobgoblin Wizard with Moderately Armored (need lv 4)?

willistillam
2017-04-08, 11:21 AM
Paladin is probably best bet. Go cleric if you want to be more of an all round character. Utility/control/defensive casting (sanctuary, shield of faith, spiritual guardian, healing spells) mixed with good weapons/armour accessibility, average hit points (d8), potentially decent strength and a high con can make for a decent physically defensive caster. Bonus wisdom save with high wisdom means your are not constantly failing them and being turned on teammates. As far as domains go, tempest and war bump you up to martial weapons and heavy armour (nature gets heavy armour). Light domain gets warding flare which is pretty good. I find clerics are pretty good because they do not need to only rely on their spells, they save them until they are absolutely necessary, can take a hit pretty well and control a battlefield decently. If you are going for full defensive caster go paladin if you want a more even spread then go cleric. Abjuration wizard could also work.

Corran
2017-04-08, 01:10 PM
If he is looking for a full caster, then probably abjuration wizard, with a one evel dip in cleric for grabing armor and a shield and the sanctuary spell for protecting his allies (or himself).

Atomic_Templar
2017-04-08, 01:18 PM
A really good one would be stone sorc (UA) with the stone aegis ability they get to defend allies, along with normal shield proficiency too

Talionis
2017-04-08, 09:36 PM
A really good one would be stone sorc (UA) with the stone aegis ability they get to defend allies, along with normal shield proficiency too
I didn't know about this one. It may work.

Zman
2017-04-09, 08:30 AM
Level 1 Fighter for Shield Proficiency, Con Saves, Protection style, and Heavy armor Proficiency.

Then go pure Abjuration wizard.

You'll rock AC 21 in Plate+Shield, 26 when Casting Shield, and have an Abjuration shield to soak damage.

You shall not die!

zeek0
2017-04-09, 08:56 AM
If you're looking for non- mechanical solutions, then refluffing can be powerful. Perhaps every abjuration spell is cast on and through the shield, and even offensively cast spells are shield themed (magic missile is reverberations made by banging on the shield, etc.)

Biggstick
2017-04-09, 08:57 AM
I agree with the Fighter 1-2 and then rest Abjuration Wizard.

You're really not getting much more defensive as a full caster as compared to an Abjuration Wizard.

Biggstick
2017-04-09, 08:58 AM
Level 1 Fighter for Shield Proficiency, Con Saves, Protection style, and Heavy armor Proficiency.

Then go pure Abjuration wizard.

You'll rock AC 21 in Plate+Shield, 26 when Casting Shield, and have an Abjuration shield to soak damage.

You shall not die!

With Protection fighting style, wouldn't the base AC be 20?

Zman
2017-04-09, 09:36 AM
With Protection fighting style, wouldn't the base AC be 20?
Playe(18) +Shield(2) +1Protectiin=21

Or didn't i just mix up the name of the fighting style for +1 AC in armor. Indeed I did, I meant Defense.

Veldrenor
2017-04-09, 11:27 AM
If he is looking for a full caster, then probably abjuration wizard, with a one evel dip in cleric for grabing armor and a shield and the sanctuary spell for protecting his allies (or himself).

I'm currently running this build myself and it's a great defensive/support character. Life Cleric 1/Abjurer X means I've got Bless to boost my allies, I can use my owl familiar to deliver Cure Wounds at range, Counterspell keeps opposing spellcasters on lock down, at higher levels I'll have great battlefield control spells with Wall of Fire/Force/Stone/etc, and the build has terrific defenses from full plate, a shield, Shield, the arcane ward, and Mirror Image. Plus, ending fights by Suggesting that the toughest enemy in the bunch spend the afternoon picking flowers is a hoot.

Potato_Priest
2017-04-09, 11:45 AM
I did this as an abjuration wizard when I had a similar concept.

Citan
2017-04-10, 09:20 AM
I'm looking for ideas on a magical character fixated on defensive abilities and a physical shield. My player says he wants the player to use magic defensively. Obviously the character needs something for offense too but the focus of the character is protecting himself and the people around him.

Paladin is obvious to look at what are the good spells and builds that make that make sense?

But I think he's looking for a full caster or full caster with small dips out of full caster.

Barring UA (lost the flow since a few months), it will be easiy enough to stack a few spells and abilities.

For a single class, it's obviously Ancients Paladin. So that's done.

For a multiclass...
Grab Crown Paladin as a chassis, with Protection Fighting Style. Up to 7 at least for CD and Reaction HP swap.
Grab Light or Nature Cleric up to 6 as you prefer
I'd honestly rather take Nature because it makes you more versatile (protection against energy + elemental damage), but another way to go could be to just cast Warding Bond on the creature depending on how strict your DM would be regarding interaction with Divine Allegiance (honestly, the "right way" to rule it makes it a totally uninteresting combo. A nice way to rule it would be houserule but make it worthwhile).
Or just grab Protection From Energy.
Grab Fighter (Battlemaster or EK) and Rogue (Swash/AT) 2 to finish.

Spells of choice: Command, Bless, Sanctuary, Spirit Guardian, Protection spells, etc.

Feats: (Shield Master), Dual Wielder, Tavern Brawler, (Inspiring Leader).

Crown Paladin 8 / Nature Cleric 8 / 3 Eldricht Knight / Swashbuckler 3 would end as a pretty nice package, with Paladin start up to 5, Nature Cleric up to 4, Rogue 1, Fighter 3, then finish as you wish.
Or otherwise Paladin 3 > EK 3 (weapon cantrip) > Paladin 4 > Rogue 1 > Cleric 4 > whatever

As a variant Human, you can immediately start with STR 15+1 / DEX 10 / CON 12 / INT 8 / WIS 14 / CHA 13+1 and the Dual Wielder feat, so you can use your Shield as an improvised weapon already.
Take Tavern Brawler next (great with Expertise coming just after) so you can attack reliably when needed and be a bit less pathetic with Dex saves since you now have Extra Attack + bonus action dual-wielding attack, whichever can be used to Shove.
Then bump CHA or STR (I'd advise CHA honestly but up to you) and finish as you want.

Eldricht Knight is here to ensure your precious shield is never stolen from you (you could even go "Shield to the max" and wield two magical shields XD). Also provides weapon cantrips for decent sustained damage and Shield for emergencies.

Rogue is here for +CHA to initiative (always useful), extra Sneak Attack damage, free disengage and Cunning Action.

As soon as you have basic "defender" spells (Bless, Command, Sanctuary, Compelled Duel), Dual Wielder and Protection style your character concept is online. Everything beyond is just making him better at what he does.