PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Android Melee Iron Priest

Archpaladin Zousha
2017-04-08, 11:44 AM
I'm looking to make an Android player character for the Iron Gods Adventure Path using the Iron Priest (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Cleric%20Iron%20Pr iest) Cleric archetype. Having never played a proper Cleric before (my divine casters so far have been an Oracle, an Inquisitor, a Paladin and a Druid), I seek tips on how to build him.

My instinct is to dip a level in a martial class like Fighter to gain access to heavy armor, as well as an extra feat to use for Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Chainsaw). What spells should I be using? What's the secret to healing without healing spells (which I'm led to believe is a waste of time)? What's the best setup for a 20 point-buy android? What are Iomedae's best domains? Should I consider any prestige classes? I understand that this can be potent with little effort, but I have no idea how to direct said effort. Thank you all! :smallsmile:

Manyasone
2017-04-08, 12:55 PM
Glory, Good, Law, Sun, War for Iomedae. And for full casting progression 'exalted' prc from the inner sea gods. Or 'divine scion' from inner sea magic. Both are viable
Edit: Archon, Day, Heroism, Honor, Light, Tactics for subdomains

Archpaladin Zousha
2017-04-08, 03:06 PM
Thank you, though I was more asking which of those would be good choices rather than what they were.

Florian
2017-04-08, 03:35 PM
Why _that_ race on _that_ archetype? That´s... not going to work.

Archpaladin Zousha
2017-04-08, 06:03 PM
Because androids and their unique problems in Numeria are a strong facet of Iron Gods narrative?

Psyren
2017-04-08, 06:58 PM
What's the secret to healing without healing spells (which I'm led to believe is a waste of time)?

It is in combat. Out of combat you can just use wands (those spells are still on your list after all, even if you can't cast them spontaneously.)

In-combat, use your channel, which you can still use to heal living creatures (i.e. you and your party) just fine. Grab the standard stuff like Quick Channel and Selective Channel.

For more general advice, check the optimization guides compendium in my sig, which is basically an index of PF handbooks. Scroll to "Cleric."

Florian
2017-04-08, 11:31 PM
Because androids and their unique problems in Numeria are a strong facet of Iron Gods narrative?

The Android social issue won´t really come up in this AP (unless your gm specifically brings it in).
But please re-examine the archetype: It builds on channeling and using that to either heal or harm robots. Now the problem here is, basing it on channel positive energy (Iomedae) turns it towards healing robots, something you definitively don´t want in this AP. Here your race choice comes into it: No bonus to WIS, a malus to CHA, on an cleric that should channel? Doesn´t work.

As this is your first cleric, look thru the link/list Psyren provided and read up on the Reach Cleric guide to get a grip on how the basics work here. Unlike Psyren, I´m not advocating selective channel for the earlier levels, as you´re running into enough constructs and undead that this´ll not be an issue.

Edit: Generally speaking, clerics suffer from three problems, especially the ones that should heal: They´re slightly MAD, they´re having issues with the economy of actions and they´re starved on feats.
You try countering this by using a reach weapon and combat reflexes, summoning monsters (as a standard action, when possible) and heal using channel instead of spells.

Edit 2: If you´re up for a more challenging build, use the archetypes Angelfire Apostle and Herald Caller, based on either an Aasimar or Changeling (with the Hag Magic ART), deity being Shelyn.

Archpaladin Zousha
2017-04-09, 08:40 AM
So you're saying I should play something else if I want to play an android with a focus on faith capable of wearing heavy armor and wielding chainsaws?

Florian
2017-04-09, 08:59 AM
So you're saying I should play something else if I want to play an android with a focus on faith capable of wearing heavy armor and wielding chainsaws?

Go for a Warpriest with the Molthuni Arsenal Champion archetype. Gives you heavy armor proficiency, you can pump nearly anything in STR and CON, needs only a bit of WIS and can safely drop INT and CHA (PB20 w. racials: 16,12,16, 11, 14, 5). As sacred weapon is pretty useless with a chainsaw, you´re better of with a fighters weapon training instead.

Archpaladin Zousha
2017-04-09, 09:16 AM
But Molthune's nowhere NEAR Numeria. :smallconfused:

Florian
2017-04-09, 09:52 AM
But Molthune's nowhere NEAR Numeria. :smallconfused:

Crusaders from anywhere travel down the Selen and pass by Numeria. How else would an Android learn anything, besides copying what it sees other people do?

Archpaladin Zousha
2017-04-09, 10:20 AM
Huh. Good point. Thank you, Florian! :smallsmile:

Florian
2017-04-09, 11:56 AM
Huh. Good point. Thank you, Florian! :smallsmile:

De nada. A word of warning when you want to stick with your heavy armor: Resist Energy and Protection from Energy are your best friends then. Stockpile wands.