PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Experience for killing a class based-NPC in 1 vs 1

AleixRuiz
2017-04-08, 05:23 PM
Hello,

A lvl 3 fighter of my party fought in a 1 vs 1 duel against a lvl 4 bard NPC that was with the party, and the fighter killed him, how much experience do you think should be rewarded for doing so? I am not finding any clear information.

Thank you guys.

Angelmaker
2017-04-08, 06:37 PM
I don't know, but i do know, awarding xp individually might lead to serious munchkinry on the side of your players.

Malifice
2017-04-08, 09:20 PM
Hello,

A lvl 3 fighter of my party fought in a 1 vs 1 duel against a lvl 4 bard NPC that was with the party, and the fighter killed him, how much experience do you think should be rewarded for doing so? I am not finding any clear information.

Thank you guys.

At a rough guess a fourth level bard is probably a CR 1 or maybe a 2 (Depending on spell load out ie sleep).

I honestly don't know why dungeon Masters bother statting up an entire NPC like this.

Slipperychicken
2017-04-08, 10:03 PM
Have you considered plugging the NPC enemy's numbers into the monster creation rules presented in the DMG? From there you just treat him as if he was a monster of that CR, and award experience based on that.

Malifice
2017-04-08, 10:18 PM
Have you considered plugging the NPC enemy's numbers into the monster creation rules presented in the DMG? From there you just treat him as if he was a monster of that CR, and award experience based on that.

Exactly my thoughts.

A 4th level bard probably would've had in the vicinity of 25 HP. His at will damage would have been a d8+dex. He would have had an armour class of around 15. That makes him around a CR of one half.

Factoring in spells however is a little bit more difficult. I'm pretty confident he would be a CR of 1.

Unoriginal
2017-04-09, 08:32 AM
Hello,

Thank you guys.

Did the Fighter accomplish anything of note by killing a NPC that was with the party? If no, then why give him XP?

Slipperychicken
2017-04-09, 09:49 AM
Did the Fighter accomplish anything of note by killing a NPC that was with the party? If no, then why give him XP?

Because that's the way experience is distributed in 5th edition dnd. It's not the best way, but that's what the system calls for.

Contrast
2017-04-09, 01:36 PM
Because that's the way experience is distributed in 5th edition dnd. It's not the best way, but that's what the system calls for.

The DMG gives several methods of deciding how to award XP. It says you can handing out XP by defeating encounters, handing out XP by milestones or disregarding XP entirely and levelling by sessions/milestones. That said, it clearly is how AleixRuiz chooses to run their game or they wouldn't be here asking the question they did so :smalltongue: