PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Bard/Favored Soul Theurge (Buffing Focus)

Thurbane
2017-04-08, 06:46 PM
So, how would you go about building this?

Using Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten Spell for early entry. Able Leaner would be good for keeping UMD etc. on the "skill list".

Maybe something like Bard 2/FS 1/MT 10/FS +7

H Able Learner
1 Versatile Spellcaster
3 Heighten Spell
6 Extra Music

...any thoughts? This is something I may want to play when I eventually get a break from DMing.

Cheers - T

Twurps
2017-04-09, 10:41 AM
MT only advances bard casting. Isn't the standard trick for that sublime chord? Was it a conscious choice not to include that class? If so: what is it you're after?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-04-09, 01:11 PM
Bard spellcasting isn't as good at buffing as bard class features, and you're losing out on nearly all of those, plus I don't see Melodic Casting. Maybe throw in Sublime Chord and advance that with Fochlucan Lyrist, but even then I think you would be better off using Sorcerer over Bard.

Troacctid
2017-04-09, 03:07 PM
Bards aren't supported by most theurge classes because they only progress spellcasting, not skills or class features, so you lose all the stuff that makes you a Bard instead of a watered-down Sorcerer. And at that point, what's even the point, right?

Bard/Druid is well supported, but it's pretty much the only combination that is. All the other theurge classes are balanced for Wizards.

Anthrowhale
2017-04-09, 03:31 PM
Buffing and spontaneous casting are softly exclusive because buffing rewards a variety of spells.

For a charisma focused buffer, you might consider Sha'ir 5/Mystic Wanderer(charisma to AC, perform) 2/Heartfire Fanner(bardic music, grant fighter feats) 5/??

Thurbane
2017-04-09, 07:59 PM
...so, I'm hearing an overwhelming "don't theurge as a Bard/FS".

Assuming for some reason I still want to, any advice, other than "Don't!"?

Zombulian
2017-04-09, 07:59 PM
Hmmm... well I'm not sure where you want to take this. As the other posters pointed out already, theurging doesn't do a good job of progressing your music which is the best buffing part of Bard.
Regardless, Chaos Music is probably a solid feat to pick up.

Troacctid
2017-04-09, 08:19 PM
...so, I'm hearing an overwhelming "don't theurge as a Bard/FS".

Assuming for some reason I still want to, any advice, other than "Don't!"?
Use Sublime Chord. It's OP.

I generally recommend theurging with a Druid because it's the only combination that's really supported by the rules. So, consider Bard/Spontaneous Druid/Green Whisperer/Sublime Chord/Fochlucan Lyrist.

If you can't swing that, then you'll still want Fochlucan Lyrist, but you'll just need some way of speaking Druidic.

Zombulian
2017-04-09, 08:24 PM
Use Sublime Chord. It's OP.

I generally recommend theurging with a Druid because it's the only combination that's really supported by the rules. So, consider Bard/Spontaneous Druid/Green Whisperer/Sublime Chord/Fochlucan Lyrist.

If you can't swing that, then you'll still want Fochlucan Lyrist, but you'll just need some way of speaking Druidic.

4 level - I guess if we're using sauce metaphors you'd call it a - scoop in Loremaster. Boom.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-04-09, 08:39 PM
...Prestige Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigeBard)?

Troacctid
2017-04-09, 09:19 PM
...Prestige Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigeBard)?
Doesn't work with divine casters.

If you were going Favored Soul into Bardlike Prestige Class, I would probably use Divine Prankster.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-04-09, 10:42 PM
I meant, since he's only dipping Bard anyway, progress Sorcerer with MT and dip Prestige Bard.

I would encourage something like Savage Bard 8/ Ur-Priest* 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ MT 8 over taking MT early, using the printed Ur-Priest variant that makes it for (non-evil) worshipers of a dead god or a powerful being looking to ascend to godhood. It's a bit more MAD, but by that level you can get a decent Enhancement bonus.