PDA

View Full Version : cloud of daggers magic damage ?

Lance Tankmen
2017-04-08, 10:02 PM
sorry if this has been answered before but is the damage considered magic i cant find where in the books it says if the slashing damage from a spell is magic damage?

Foxhound438
2017-04-09, 12:12 AM
damage from spells is in fact "magic damage", at least in the sense that it bypasses resistance/immunity to nonmagical damage from b/p/s sources.

AttilatheYeon
2017-04-09, 01:26 AM
From most spells yes. In the case of magic daggers also yes.

Foxhound438
2017-04-09, 01:33 AM
From most spells yes. In the case of magic daggers also yes.

the only exceptions I can think of are SCAG cantrips and smite spells, and they do magic damage on top of the weapon's damage. Maybe you could also count earthquake since the way that does damage is by forcing things to fall... fancy enough though, it still gets by resistances, if you're a RAW only type.

AttilatheYeon
2017-04-09, 02:00 AM
the only exceptions I can think of are SCAG cantrips and smite spells, and they do magic damage on top of the weapon's damage. Maybe you could also count earthquake since the way that does damage is by forcing things to fall... fancy enough though, it still gets by resistances, if you're a RAW only type.

Correct, that would be why i said most spells. Just noting that there are exceptions. And again correct that even the exceptions have exceptions in that the 2 SCAG cantrips do elemental damage on top of the normal weapon damage and using a magic weapon makes the damage magical. I just wanted to avoid creating an argument about those particular spells so i didn't list them. 😉

Lance Tankmen
2017-04-09, 02:24 PM
thank you all for the answers