PDA

View Full Version : Stats for a Golem pet

sotik
2017-04-08, 11:32 PM
I am going to give my wizard player a pet golem pet. They are level 1 players, and so I don't want it to be OP so the stats in the monster manual are a no go. So I have been looking around on the internet for someone who already has a template for a golem pet, but can not find one. Does anyone here have suggestions for stats, or a link to someone who has already did the work and put together one?

Thanks for the help.

Arcangel4774
2017-04-08, 11:40 PM
What's the party look like besides the wizard? What sort of interactions with this Golan do you want to encourage/discourage

Hrugner
2017-04-08, 11:48 PM
What's it's purpose, and why is he getting it? It's hard to stat something out when I don't know what it should do and what it's for. If you want something simple, make it a familiar but treat summoning as building and/or repair. From there, just use the stat block of one of the familiars.

sotik
2017-04-09, 11:27 PM
The wizard's story is that he grew up and made the golem as a friend. It would serve in helping him with tasks and protection when he decided to leave home and live in the woods alone (this is explained in his background story but that's TLDR status) So it really serves no purpose more then that. The main reason he is getting it is because I wanted to give the players something that made each one of them special, one owns her own bakery already, one has a pet pony, and so on.

The group so far is the wizard, a fighter, a bard, a rogue, and a ranger. The fighter doesn't seem like he is going to be a tank, but more of a crowd control/damage with his halberd.

solidork
2017-04-10, 09:48 AM
Check out the rules for the Artificer mechanical companion: https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/1_UA_Artificer_20170109.pdf

I would use one of the low CR humanoid stat blocks presented in the PHB/MM (like the Guard) and then give it some of the bonuses described in the Artificer, like poison immunity, charm immunity, the ability to repair if destroyed. If he wants it to be more than just an assistant, maybe come up with a feat that makes the golem more potent in combat (using a higher CR stat block) and lets him heal the golem by expending spell slots.

sotik
2017-04-10, 05:49 PM
Check out the rules for the Artificer mechanical companion: https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/1_UA_Artificer_20170109.pdf

I would use one of the low CR humanoid stat blocks presented in the PHB/MM (like the Guard) and then give it some of the bonuses described in the Artificer, like poison immunity, charm immunity, the ability to repair if destroyed. If he wants it to be more than just an assistant, maybe come up with a feat that makes the golem more potent in combat (using a higher CR stat block) and lets him heal the golem by expending spell slots.

Thanks for the help, that's a really great idea. I am going to go with this, and then tell him that if he wants to upgrade it more into a combat role, then he will need to spend like a month or so focusing on magically enchanting it.