PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Spheres of Power 5E Conversion (WIP)

sammyp03
2017-04-09, 12:55 AM
So im not a fan of the base magic system of 5e. Its good, relatively balanced, and does what it is intended to do. It is just not my cup of tea nor does it really mesh well with my homebrew setting and my vision of magic wielders. This is my attempt at a conversion for spheres of power. I understand the formating isnt great but i wont make it a nice document until I have a good foot going forward

I ran into 2 problems while trying to do this. One major and one minor.

The major problem is that SoP uses caster level as a really major balancing factor in its abilities. Since caster level isn't really a thing in 5e, I am trying not to bring it back. My two (potential) fixes for this is to treat it akin to the mystic class that just came out which is to use spell points to simulate spell levels in the base system. Second, My thoughts here to start is to have each base sphere scale somewhat, Just like certain cantrips do in the base D&D magic system

The Minor Problem is that SoP uses a very scaled back # of Spell points. This i think is the easy fix of the two and shouldnt be a whole lot of trouble.

This is a hybrid of the Mystic class structure and the actual SoP stuff so if you see a bunch of similarities thats why.

Ive done most spheres but not all are converted yet so this is far from complete.

I am open to any and all feedback provided its constructive and not rude.
If you post a rude comment about how I suck and have no clue about balance, cool Factor, yada yada I just wont reply to you.

Thanks in advance! and please provide as much feedback as you can. The document is set up to allow viewers to comment so id prefer feedback in the document but on here is fine too

https://docs.google.com/document/d/197QudhtOXLeFEVhkVRC7RnSUzux1Fi2l4N9Rbhh1TQQ/edit?usp=sharing

A.J.Gibson
2017-04-09, 01:15 AM
The major problem is that SoP uses caster level as a really major balancing factor in its abilities. Since caster level isn't really a thing in 5e, I am trying not to bring it back. My two (potential) fixes for this is to treat it akin to the mystic class that just came out which is to use spell points to simulate spell levels in the base system. Second, My thoughts here to start is to have each base sphere scale somewhat, Just like certain cantrips do in the base D&D magic system

The Minor Problem is that SoP uses a very scaled back # of Spell points. This i think is the easy fix of the two and shouldnt be a whole lot of trouble.

This is a hybrid of the Mystic class structure and the actual SoP stuff so if you see a bunch of similarities thats why.

Ive done most spheres but not all are converted yet so this is far from complete.

The 5e spell casting system works fairly differently than PF, and is a lot less broken, not only because spells scale with slot rather than caster level, but also because attack and save scale with the character rather than the spell level. You're going to have to rewrite a lot of the SoP system to get it to work - Destruction would be insane in 5e without a rewrite. If it were me, I would make each sphere a school that lets you design a spell, with spell slot replacing caster level. Additional talents in a sphere let you add more options, possibly raising the required spell slot in the process.

Edit: after reading a bit more, I think the mana system could work as well, though some sphere maybe should be broken down to make them mechanically simpler. For example, War could be broken down into totems, rallies, and mandates.

sammyp03
2017-04-09, 01:23 AM
The 5e spell casting system works fairly differently than PF, and is a lot less broken, not only because spells scale with slot rather than caster level, but also because attack and save scale with the character rather than the spell level. You're going to have to rewrite a lot of the SoP system to get it to work - Destruction would be insane in 5e without a rewrite. If it were me, I would make each sphere a school that lets you design a spell, with spell slot replacing caster level. Additional talents in a sphere let you add more options, possibly raising the required spell slot in the process.

I understand what your saying. And that's a neat idea.

For destruction I made the base ability akin to an Eldritch blast which would scale the same way as it does in the base 5e system. And made the talents hopefully fall pretty decently in line with the 5e stuff

What I did is made spell points work like to spell slots To simulate an increase in power. So for example, something like the explosive Orb talent, it starts at 10ft burst but would increase by 5ft per 2 Spell Points spent.

This is balanced by each character having a limit of Spell Points they can use per round that scales as the increase in level.

khadgar567
2017-04-09, 02:00 AM
Since masters of spheres answered there is no need for me to add any think

A.J.Gibson
2017-04-09, 09:54 AM
Since masters of spheres answered there is no need for me to add any think

I think AmberVael and stack have more claim to that title than me.

khadgar567
2017-04-09, 10:42 AM
I think AmberVael and stack have more claim to that title than me.
still you guys are three musketeers of spheres of power.

sammyp03
2017-04-09, 03:29 PM
Edit: after reading a bit more, I think the mana system could work as well, though some sphere maybe should be broken down to make them mechanically simpler. For example, War could be broken down into totems, rallies, and mandates.

I am not quite sure I understand what you mean.

A.J.Gibson
2017-04-09, 03:46 PM
I am not quite sure I understand what you mean.

If you actually wanted to make spheres into mystic style powers, you would need chop up the spheres a bit to make them smaller, but you're not doing that, so nevermind.

How often to characters gain talents in your system?

sammyp03
2017-04-09, 03:51 PM
If you actually wanted to make spheres into mystic style powers, you would need chop up the spheres a bit to make them smaller, but you're not doing that, so nevermind.

How often to characters gain talents in your system?

That is something I am still working on.

An example for a cleric might look like this from the SoP book
Magic Talents: A sphere cleric gains 1 magic talent at 2nd level and every 2 levels thereafter.

Focus: A sphere cleric who chooses to channel positive energy at 1st level gains the Life sphere as a bonus magic talent. A sphere cleric who chooses to channel negative energy gains the Death sphere as a bonus magic talent. They gain an additional talent from this sphere at every odd level beyond 1st.

Domains: A sphere cleric gains domains as normal, but does not gain domain spells. Instead, they gain a bonus magic talent at 1st level, chosen from the spheres associated with his selected domains. He gains an additional magic talent from one of those domains whenever he would have gained a bonus spell.

My thoughts are since the magic wont be quite as powerful as the normal 5e system(atleast thats how it appears to me so far) casters should probably have a few more talents than normal.

A.J.Gibson
2017-04-09, 09:56 PM
That is something I am still working on.

An example for a cleric might look like this from the SoP book
Magic Talents: A sphere cleric gains 1 magic talent at 2nd level and every 2 levels thereafter.

Focus: A sphere cleric who chooses to channel positive energy at 1st level gains the Life sphere as a bonus magic talent. A sphere cleric who chooses to channel negative energy gains the Death sphere as a bonus magic talent. They gain an additional talent from this sphere at every odd level beyond 1st.

Domains: A sphere cleric gains domains as normal, but does not gain domain spells. Instead, they gain a bonus magic talent at 1st level, chosen from the spheres associated with his selected domains. He gains an additional magic talent from one of those domains whenever he would have gained a bonus spell.

My thoughts are since the magic wont be quite as powerful as the normal 5e system(atleast thats how it appears to me so far) casters should probably have a few more talents than normal.

Well, there are a lot of ways doing this. Spheres came out of a desire to fix PF spellcasting, but 5e's isn't as bad (kinda pissed there are no 10th level spells, though). What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this conversion?

sammyp03
2017-04-09, 10:17 PM
Well, there are a lot of ways doing this. Spheres came out of a desire to fix PF spellcasting, but 5e's isn't as bad (kinda pissed there are no 10th level spells, though). What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this conversion?

The feel of magic in my homebrew world. Since all conduits (magic users in my setting ) derive their ability to use magic from the same source Arcane divine separations make no sense in my setting, neither does spells and spell slots (although 5e isn't as bad as previous editions) I just don't like it. It's not that it's bad or not balanced just isn't what my setting is all about

A.J.Gibson
2017-04-09, 11:31 PM
The feel of magic in my homebrew world. Since all conduits (magic users in my setting ) derive their ability to use magic from the same source Arcane divine separations make no sense in my setting, neither does spells and spell slots (although 5e isn't as bad as previous editions) I just don't like it. It's not that it's bad or not balanced just isn't what my setting is all about

How do you want magic to work mechanically? SoP tends to make casters more specialized in opposed to Vancian's toolbox wizards, while also giving a lot more at-will power. Drawbacks also give players more options in how their magic works (which works well for your setting). SoP also rewards stacking bonuses a lot more, while 5e generally avoids it by making everything Concentration limited. SoP is also big into modifiers, while 5e is more about advantage.

sammyp03
2017-04-10, 12:17 AM
How do you want magic to work mechanically? SoP tends to make casters more specialized in opposed to Vancian's toolbox wizards, while also giving a lot more at-will power. Drawbacks also give players more options in how their magic works (which works well for your setting). SoP also rewards stacking bonuses a lot more, while 5e generally avoids it by making everything Concentration limited. SoP is also big into modifiers, while 5e is more about advantage.

The magic in my setting is based on the wheel of time series. Conduits gain access to magic by experiencing the source of creation, a reservoir of power from a time before time. they then weave and braid the ley-lines of the reservoir to achieve magical effects. Your classes like wizard, or paladin, etc.. provide a different way of touching this energy. Divine characters can touch this reservoir because the gods have lead them there, where as arcane characters do it through study or innate power, etc.

I think mechanicly, SoP is almost exactly what i am looking for. Id like for my players to be able to make make characters based on concepts rather than spell lists. If a player wanted say make a prophet (cleric in my setting) whose sole purpose for being awoken was to burn away the sins of the world, he'd have to make some weird multiclass combination to even have access to some of the fire spells and things of that nature.

I am not going to get rid of the 5e base system entirely, Ill just treat those spells as mostly story rewords and things like that.