PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow Sniper build

Telonius
2017-04-09, 08:04 AM
I've been researching the possibility of a Crossbow Sniper build. I've read several related handbooks, but haven't seen an actual proposed build for one of them, so I've tried to put one together. Here's what I have so far.

Human Wilderness Feat Rogue

1 Rogue1 Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot, Trapfinding
2 Rog2 Hand Crossbow Focus, Evasion
3 Sneak Attack Ftr1 Craven, +1d6 Sneak Attack
4 Rog3 Trap Sense +1
5 Rog4 Crossbow Sniper, Uncanny Dodge
6 Rog5 Able Sniper
7 Rog6 Woodland Archer, Trap Sense +2
8 Rog7
9 Rog8 Manyshot, Greater Manyshot, Improved Uncanny Dodge
10 Rog9 Trap Sense +3
11 Rog10 X, Special Ability (Camouflage)
12 Rog11 Dark Stalker
13 Rog12 Improved Rapid Shot, Trap Sense +4
14 Rog13 Special Ability (Hide in Plain Sight)
15 Rog14 Improved Precise Shot, Improved Initiative
16 Rog15 Trap Sense +5
17 Rog16 Savvy Rogue, Special Ability (Skill Mastery)
18 Rog17 X
19 Rog18 Dead Eye (Dragon Compendium), Trap Sense +6
20 Rog19 Special Ability (Crippling Strike)

The idea is that you get the skill points and abilities from Rogue, a level of Sneak Fighter to qualify for Craven, and eventually get HiPS from Wilderness Rogue. Right now I've got two open feats at levels 11 (Fighter feat) and 18 (level-up feat). I've haven't fleshed out the skill points yet, but Rogue means you've got plenty of points for stealth and UMD-ing wands of Camouflage, as well as giving you something to do when you're not in combat. The only thing this really requires is a high Dex score.

I'm also considering the Versatile Combatant feat from Drow of the Underdark. The wording is a little ambiguous, but if it allows you to shoot your crossbow without provoking at all times (and not just if you're dual-wielding a rapier), I'd take it at 6th level and move Able Sniper to 10th. (I've asked about this in the Rules Questions thread but no response so far).

Any ideas on improving this? I'd considered Order of the Bow Initiate, but I don't think it gives me enough to justify it, especially if Versatile Combatant works the way I think it does. I don't like keeping Trap Sense; is Spell Sense all that better?

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-09, 08:44 AM
You could trade 3 levels of rogue for 3 levels of scout and get Swift Ambusher.

Also Manyshot only works with arrows. Not crossbow bolts.

Telonius
2017-04-09, 09:17 AM
Yikes, thanks, hadn't caught that. (Bolt and arrow occupy the same space in my head). Well, two more feats freed up, and that's definitely worth trading away Crippling Strike.

WhamBamSam
2017-04-09, 09:40 AM
You aren't actually proficient with the Hand Crossbow. You could take EWP as a Human, or switch your race to Lesser Drow for Weapon Familiarity, which is feat neutral, but gets +2 Dex (albeit at the cost of -2 Con).

I'd try to jam in a level of Hit-and-Run Fighter for another Dex to damage against flat-footed opponents. You could make it Sneak Attack Fighter as well, and so qualify for Craven. One disadvantage of Lesser Drow is that this would incur multiclass penalties if your game uses them and you're intent on sticking mostly to pure Rogue.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-09, 09:51 AM
If you're looking for feats to take Sickening Strike and Terrifying Strike (both DoTU) are pretty decent (unless you're in an undead-heavy campaign).
They don't do much for you unless you use poison, but a no-save -4 to the saves of anything you hit is pretty nice for your parties spellcasters.

And there's really no reason not to pack a few poisoned crossbow bolts (+1 Assassination if you can afford it, with GMW for +5 to poison DCs). Combined with the feats above that makes even the affordable mid-range poisons pretty deadly.
Sure, many things are immune so you don't want to focus your whole build on it, but lots of things aren't immune, even at high levels.
And it's not like you need to spend a lot on it - a few doses of poison and a handful +2-equivalent bolts shouldn't cost you more than 1,000-2,000gp - but a few bolts with the right poison can cut a boss fight short in a hurry.

Or you could just spend a feat on Hidden Talent for Psionic Minor Creation and get Black Lotus Extract for free.

You aren't actually proficient with the Hand Crossbow. You could take EWP as a Human, or switch your race to Lesser Drow for Weapon Familiarity, which is feat neutral, but gets +2 Dex (albeit at the cost of -2 Con).
Rogues get Hand Crossbow Proficiency for free. Wilderness Rogue doesn't change that.

DEMON
2017-04-09, 12:10 PM
I would suggest Strongheart Halfling instead of Human (or another Halfling variant, since you're not stretched for feats).
They get access to a great special ability at 10th level if you're pursuing the sniping route. They also should get a boost to ranged sneak attack, but that doesn't apply to a Feat Rogue.
They also have the option of trading the Trap Sense for Thief's luck (a reflex save re-roll).

Scout 3 or 4 and Swift Ambusher + Improved Skirmish is a decent combo, but not very sniping compatible. More like a backup plan.
If you do take Scout levels, trade your Rogue's Trapfinding and Uncanny Dodge for Poison Use and Disruptive Attack, respectively.

Knowledge Devotion is also a decent feat, even though you don't have many relevant Knowledges on your skills list. And FWIF, I also read the Versatile Combatant feat the way you do (i.e. it allows you to shoot Hand Crossbow without provoking, regardless of whether you dual wield a rapier or not).

3SecondCultist
2017-04-09, 12:41 PM
If you want free EWP with a Hand Crossbow (and you want to increase both your number of attacks and your damage), consider a 2 level dip in the Targetteer Fighter from DragMag 310. Arrow Swarm is to Rapid Shot what a dire wolf is to a hunting dog, and Vital Aim stacks with Dead Eye (you need at least a Strength of 10 though).

In the past, my crossbow sniper build has looked more like this: Whisper Gnome Ranger 2 / Targetteer Fighter 4 / Deepwood Sniper (if your DM allows it) 10 / X 4. Generally speaking, the sneak attack or skirmish from Rogue / Scout isn't typically worth giving up too much BAB for, but I like the Sneak Fighter, and I don't know why I didn't think of it before.

The above build doesn't have as many d6 dice of damage, but it's a more consistent output and you can usually do it at a longer range, allowing you to hide and set up full attack ambushes. If you also make an argument for the Quick Loading property on a pair of hand crossbows reloading them automatically, you can TWF them for maximum damage. Add Splitting for a truly ludicrous amount of attacks per turn. :smallamused:

oxyartis
2017-06-07, 01:22 PM
You could trade 3 levels of rogue for 3 levels of scout and get Swift Ambusher.

Wow this is what i'm currently trying to build up, and i'm going crazy coz noone on internet seem to have spotted this build!! so there isn't any guide for a NON-ranger swiftambusher :smallfrown:.

I'm starting as scout 3 levels, then Sneak Warrior for the Competence in all weapons/armors and the +1d6 SA, and then going up as feat rogue for X level improving the SK. In this way i got a very good amount of feat, the only problem is that i would like to use ligth crossbow (why ranged combat!?!?!? i'm a fool i know!!! :smallbiggrin: ) and there are very few options with crossbows in 3.5 (4-5 feats are really strong, while others are not so important).
How to optimize???
The only strong optimization for the skirmish is the Telflammar Shadowlord PrC?? it's worthy to take the shadow template or the BAB will suffer too much?
Someone know a good way for the combo move 10''+full attack ??

Thanks all :smallsmile:

Darrin
2017-06-07, 01:50 PM
My Crossbow Sniper Swift Hunter build:

Race: Human, Azurin, Strongheart Halfing, or Frostblood Orc/Half-Orc
1) Ranger 1. Feat: Travel Devotion (Complete Champion), Human: PB Shot, Bonus: Track. Wild Empathy -> Spiritual Connection ACF (Complete Champion). Favored Enemy: Undead.
2) Ranger 2. Bonus: Rapid Shot.
3) Scout 1. Feat: Rapid Reload. Skirmish 1d6
4) Fighter 1. Bonus: Weapon Focus: Light Crossbow. Hit-and-Run ACF (Drow of the Underdark).
5) Scout 2. Skirmish 1d6.
6) Scout 3. Feat: Crossbow Sniper (PHBII). Skirmish 1d6AC+1.
7) Scout 4. Bonus: Swift Hunter. Skirmish 2d6AC+1.
8) Ranger 3. Bonus: Endurance -> Heat Endurance (Sandstorm ACF). Skirmish 2d6AC+2.
9) Ranger 4. Champion of the Wild ACF -> Bonus: Manyshot (Complete Champion), Feat: Improved Rapid Shot. Animal Companion -> Distracting Attack ACF (PHBII) or Spiritual Guide ACF (Complete Champion).
10) Ranger 5. Favored Enemy: Constructs. Skirmish 3d6AC+2.
11) Dragon Devotee 1.
12) Dragon Devotee 2. Feat: Improved Skirmish. Skirmish 4d6AC+2/6d6AC+4.
13) Dragon Devotee 3. 1st level Sorcerer casting (pick at least 2 divination spells, such as true strike and detect undead).
14) Dragon Devotee 4. Skirmish 5d6AC+2/7d6AC+4
15) Unseen Seer 1. Feat: Travel Devotion (x2). Skirmish 6d6AC+2/8d6AC+4
16) Unseen Seer 2.
17) Unseen Seer 3.
18) Unseen Seer 4. Feat: Travel Devotion (x3). Skirmish 7d6AC+2/9d6AC+4
19) Highland Stalker 1.
20) Highland Stalker 2. Skirmish 8d6AC+2/10d6AC+4

ShurikVch
2017-06-07, 03:04 PM
If Dragon stuff is available, #310 have bunch of variant Fighter classes - point of interest is Targetteer: Vital Aim special ability allow do add Dex to ranged damage (as long as your Str ins't penalty, and target isn't immune to crits.)

EDIT: Targetteer also gets free proficiency with any two exotic ranged weapons

Kaje
2017-06-07, 03:42 PM
Kobold Scout 1 / Cloistered Cleric 1 / Fighter 2 / Scout 16

Feats
1 - Dragon Tail
1 - Prehensile Tail [Flaw: Noncombatant]
1 - Multiweapon Fighting [Flaw: Weak Will]
2 - Travel Devotion [Cleric]
3 - Point Blank Shot [Fighter]
4 - Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Hand Crossbow)
4 - Weapon Focus (Hand Crossbow) [Fighter]
6 - Dead Eye
7 - Rapid Reload [Scout]
9 - Crossbow Sniper
11 - Precise Shot [Scout]
12 - Extra Turning
15 - Improved Precise Shot
15 - Improved Initiative [Scout]
18 - Rapid Shot
19 - Far Shot [Scout]