PDA

View Full Version : Optimization MM Saves Table?

malloc
2017-04-09, 03:25 PM
Wondering if there is a resource floating around out there similar to this great one: MM Resistances, Immunities, Vulnerabilities, and Damage (apologies, not enough posts to post the internal link--it's in the resources if you can't find it)

--but for monster save proficiencies. I know there are several with regards to monster attack types (and the best saves to take to resist those) but I was wondering if there was an opposite compilation: what types of saves are the monsters good at making (or bad at making, more importantly)?

I hit up the Notable Threads and did a cursory search, but didn't bump into anything. Maybe my Google-fu isn't strong enough?

hymer
2017-04-10, 02:54 AM
I don't think anyone's bothered to do make a thread like that yet, and I think I know why. When looking at what you're likely to get hit by, it makes sense to look at it on average. Because you're going to pick your good saves when you create your character, and you're more or less stuck with them for the rest of your career.
But when you attack, you always have options. It may be that one particular attack is pretty niche, and will only work well against a certain subset of enemies. But you may choose to pick it anyway, simply because you know you won't waste time on it when you're fighting stuff that can't be targeted efficiently with that attack. Rather than knowing which saves are good and bad in general, you should know which saves are good and bad on the monster you're fighting right now.