PDA

View Full Version : Puzzles & Riddles as PC Tools

Primal Fury
2017-04-09, 03:57 PM
Would anyone happen to know of any options for players who want to use puzzles and riddles as weapons/tools? Is this something that's at all practical, or is this something that might be better re-skinned from something else?

Segev
2017-04-10, 12:32 PM
Can you elaborate with some examples in fiction as to what you mean by this? Weapons in what sense? Tools to do what? There are probably ways to do this, but I don't want to be shooting in the dark at what you might mean.

Vitruviansquid
2017-04-10, 02:57 PM
Depends on the system, I guess?

Elysiume
2017-04-10, 03:30 PM
The much-maligned feat from Pathfinder, Sacred Geometry (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/sacred-geometry/)?

Primal Fury
2017-04-10, 07:44 PM
The much-maligned feat from Pathfinder, Sacred Geometry (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/sacred-geometry/)?
That's kind of what I'm looking for, yeah. The same way a spell-caster can use math to enhance their spells, I'm wondering if there are options for classes to use riddles and puzzles to enhance themselves, or at least hinder their opponents.

Why is that feat maligned anyway? It seems kinda neat, if unreliable.

And I meant for specifically d20 system.

Can you elaborate with some examples in fiction as to what you mean by this?
Hm... I know it's a bit dated, but I imagine it like the bridge keeper from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. He asks you a question, and if you answer wrong, you're thrown into the gorge/your eyes melt/you explode.

Weapons in what sense? Tools to do what? There are probably ways to do this, but I don't want to be shooting in the dark at what you might mean.
Not really weapons, rather things that can enhance or supplement a character's abilities, like the Sacred Geometry feat.

legomaster00156
2017-04-10, 08:39 PM
Why is that feat maligned anyway? It seems kinda neat, if unreliable.
First, because it's hideously complicated. Second, because it is possible with enough ranks to use multiple metamagic for free 100% of the time. Third, because its actual use at the table bogs down gameplay by instead having a single player playing calculus homework. Fourth, because it basically gives two metamagic feats for free.

Segev
2017-04-11, 01:02 PM
You could honestly take standard prepared spellcasting and claim that the magic is due to puzzles and riddles and tricks the caster has set up. Just refluff what the preparation is and what the spellcasting is.