PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Phan'ts Luckstones?

Skree
2017-04-09, 04:31 PM
I read about these items, apparently they allow you to reroll a die and then the item is destroyed. They cost 1000GP.

However i can't find them in any manual nor find them via a Google search O_o

Does this item exists? if so where? A dragon Magazine issue?

Thank you :P

Venger
2017-04-09, 04:33 PM
phant's luckstones are on p 72 of ghostwalk

Fizban
2017-04-09, 07:13 PM
Fun story: immediately after I finished talking up how awesome an on-demand re-roll is for saving your butt, I get hit by a save or lose (Darkbolt), burn a luckstone, and fail the save anyway.

DM didn't finish me off, told me the module supported it, later found out he wasn't bluffing to save my feelings and the module really did say the horrible murder demon would drop everything to protect the cleric. Good thing the rogue bag of tricks'd a grizzly bear onto the guy. Replenished my stock but didn't use any more luckstones before the campaign died.

Zanos
2017-04-09, 11:21 PM
Yeah, these are one of my favorite mid-high level items. Look at the luck blade and mantle of second chances if you find yourself needing a lot of rerolls as well.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-10, 09:06 AM
Those things are way too cheap for what they do. The closest equivalent (Doomwarding weapon from PGtF) costs 5,500gp per charge.
That's probably too much given the Ring of Nine Lives, but i'd probably at least double the cost.

Fun story: immediately after I finished talking up how awesome an on-demand re-roll is for saving your butt, I get hit by a save or lose (Darkbolt), burn a luckstone, and fail the save anyway.

DM didn't finish me off, told me the module supported it, later found out he wasn't bluffing to save my feelings and the module really did say the horrible murder demon would drop everything to protect the cleric. Good thing the rogue bag of tricks'd a grizzly bear onto the guy. Replenished my stock but didn't use any more luckstones before the campaign died.

Situations like that are why i like to carry a Ring of Nine Lives. Sure, it's expensive at 5000gp/charge, but it's a guaranteed success. Also the cost of Raise Dead, but without the level loss.
And you can choose when to use them, so you're not blowing your money on less deadly saves even if you fail.

Not an option for lower levels (unless you can buy one with less than full charges), but useful insurance all the same.

Zanos
2017-04-10, 09:55 AM
Those things are way too cheap for what they do. The closest equivalent (Doomwarding weapon from PGtF) costs 5,500gp per charge.
A Mantle of Second Chances let you reroll any die roll 1/day for 12k gp, so that's the same as 12 luckstones. A luckblade with 0 wishes remaining sells for 22,060gp, a little over the cost of 22 of the buggers, but is slotless and also useable once per day, in addition to being a +2 shortsword. A scroll of alter fortune takes an immediate action to use admittedly, but is 1375gp. A wand costs 61,250 and has 50 charges, so that's 1225gp per charge.

With that in mind I agree this item is still extremely strong, but it isn't out of line with the cost of similar reroll effects.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-10, 10:38 AM
A Mantle of Second Chances let you reroll any die roll 1/day for 12k gp, so that's the same as 12 luckstones. A luckblade with 0 wishes remaining sells for 22,060gp, a little over the cost of 22 of the buggers, but is slotless and also useable once per day, in addition to being a +2 shortsword. A scroll of alter fortune takes an immediate action to use admittedly, but is 1375gp. A wand costs 61,250 and has 50 charges, so that's 1225gp per charge.

With that in mind I agree this item is still extremely strong, but it isn't out of line with the cost of similar reroll effects.
The Luckblade and the Mantle are pretty much equal once you substract the cost for a +2 short sword and the +1 non-resistance save bonus. Slightly cheaper because you're getting a mwk short sword for 60gp, but lets not quibble over peanuts.
The scroll needs to be in hand, so a scroll of Alter Fortune is pretty much a waste of paper for most situations.

I think the closest comparison is the wand, and that "cheaper than a wand of Alter Fortune" is too cheap. Wands generally come at a price reduction because you buy in bulk.
There's also the action advantage for the stone to consider.
Not much too cheap, but i'd at least price them at 1500-2000gp.

Zanos
2017-04-10, 10:45 AM
Not much too cheap, but i'd at least price them at 1500-2000gp.
That's fair I suppose, I thought you were suggesting it was way out of line with existing items. If we do a little bit of not strictly RAW math and start with the luckblade because it's slotless and takes no actions:
22,060gp
-8,310(+2 MWK Shortsword)
13,750gp

If we assume this is a "Once per day use activated power", that should cost CL*SL*2000/5 gp. We don't need the CL*SL since I'll assume it's the same for both items. To convert a once per day item to a once and done item, we can look at the price for once only use-activated item, which is CL*SL*50 gp. So the ratio between these two prices is 1/8th. 13,750/8 = 1718.75gp. I'd round up to 1750gp and call it good.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-10, 11:14 AM
That's fair I suppose, I thought you were suggesting it was way out of line with existing items. If we do a little bit of not strictly RAW math and start with the luckblade because it's slotless and takes no actions:
22,060gp
-8,310(+2 MWK Shortsword)
13,750gp

If we assume this is a "Once per day use activated power", that should cost CL*SL*2000/5 gp. We don't need the CL*SL since I'll assume it's the same for both items. To convert a once per day item to a once and done item, we can look at the price for once only use-activated item, which is CL*SL*50 gp. So the ratio between these two prices is 1/8th. 13,750/8 = 1718.75gp. I'd round up to 1750gp and call it good.

You forgot to substract 2000gp for the +1 luck bonus to saves (bonusē x2000 for non-resistance). So it comes out closer to 1500gp.