PDA

View Full Version : I need help finding a supernatural creature

The Eye
2017-04-09, 07:14 PM
I need help finding a supernatural creature (God, demon, monster, fairy , genie or anything like hat) that is associated with the following things:

-Life, in special healing and nature.
-Wind.
-Light and holy elements, maybe in the form of exorcist.
-Mind controlling powers.
-Ice.
-Fear and insanity (this one is the least important, so if you can find a creature that fits all of the above, it’s fine)

Any ideas? I can think of creatures that fit one or two items but now all of them at the same time.

GAAD
2017-04-09, 07:50 PM
How about Celestial Wendigoes? Since wendigoes fit everything except the holy descriptor, tacking on the Celestial template should fit like a glove.

Fable Wright
2017-04-09, 09:04 PM
How about Celestial Wendigoes? Since wendigoes fit everything except the holy descriptor, tacking on the Celestial template should fit like a glove.

Eeeexcept that wendigo are the spirits of cannibals. That does not fit well with holy themes. At all.

That said, not many holy beings are into the removal of free will, and ice is usually demonized due to the fact that it kills people, plants, and drives the animals away. If you're looking for anything without strictly negative connotations with ice, you're probably looking at inuit or eskimo mythology. You're also looking for creatures that don't only eat people. Amaguq is... one god/spirit that has very little written on it, but it's a deific figure (for holy connotations), a trickster (closest I can get for fear and mind control), related to the Amarok (who has, in one myth, beaten the weak bones out of a frail child's body, which is the closest I can get you to healing), and is a wolf, for the nature aspect.

This is something that you're going to need to homebrew, though.

veti
2017-04-09, 10:00 PM
Weell... there's the Spirit of Winter, from Zelda: Oracle of Seasons. I think that meets most of your criteria.

It's not exactly authentic mythology, though.

For a slightly less "gamey" option: how about the Father of Winter, from Bujold's Chalion stories? (There are five gods in the pantheon, one for each season plus one for things "out of season". They're all, broadly speaking, benign and ineffable.

-Life - yep, although with an emphasis on protection and order, rather than healing
-Wind - well, "winter"
-Light and holy elements - hello? he's a god
-Mind controlling powers. - mmm, kinda counter to the Chalionese pantheon's ethic, but certainly - persuasive
-Ice - see "winter"
-Fear and insanity - yeah, this pretty much applies to anyone who has a connection to these gods, although the "insanity" seems to be mostly benign.)

Yora
2017-04-10, 12:46 PM
Silver dragons from D&D perhaps?

S@tanicoaldo
2017-04-10, 07:21 PM
Cernunnos? I mean he is a god of fertility and protects forests from hunters.

-Life -Well he is a god of fertility.
-Wind - He is often associated with the seasons so.. Summer breeze?
-Light and holy elements -Well he is a god and protect holy and sacred forests from evil.
-Mind controlling powers. -I don't really think he has those :/
-Ice - He is often associated with the seasons so... Winter.
-Fear and insanity - That what happens if you don't respect the forests or animals under his protection.

It has hard to find soemthign that has to do with both life and ice since ice is often assoited with death. Maybe the others(white walkers) form Song of Ice and Fire?