PDA

View Full Version : To Sleep or Cause Fear?

BiPolar
2017-04-09, 07:36 PM
I'm building a gnomish divination wizard starting at one and waffling between these two spells.

I like sleep for area effect early on, but that UA Cause Fear is really nice.

Squeeq
2017-04-09, 07:49 PM
Cause fear is a save, and not a roll, but it also only affects humanoids and can only target one thing. Sleep is SUPER good at lower levels and for taking something on its last legs out at higher levels, but other than that, you'll grow out of both of 'em.

LeonBH
2017-04-09, 10:16 PM
It's a wizard, so ultimately it may not be important. But still, what flavor do you want your gnomish diviner to be? A feared wizard, or a tricky and enchanting one?

I think Sleep is more useful at low levels too, though. At least it can take out 2-3 goblins at low level.

SharkForce
2017-04-09, 10:41 PM
as a level 1 wizard, you're going to need all the early game power you can get. even later on it can still be useful sometimes, for example if you just dropped a shatter on a group of enemies and now a bunch of them are low HP.

when you use up a spell slot at level 1, you want it to have the absolute biggest impact possible. you don't have a lot of them, so they're something you use when you're in a really tough spot.

to me, everything points to sleep. at later levels, you probably won't care which you grabbed anyways. at early levels, sleep is way better.

BiPolar
2017-04-10, 08:46 AM
as a level 1 wizard, you're going to need all the early game power you can get. even later on it can still be useful sometimes, for example if you just dropped a shatter on a group of enemies and now a bunch of them are low HP.

when you use up a spell slot at level 1, you want it to have the absolute biggest impact possible. you don't have a lot of them, so they're something you use when you're in a really tough spot.

to me, everything points to sleep. at later levels, you probably won't care which you grabbed anyways. at early levels, sleep is way better.

Thanks - I was really like Cause Fear, but Sleep fit more with my character concept anyway. I'll take powerful and relevant for the win :)