PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Cantrip Fighting Style for Paladin/Ranger (PEACH)

Crisis21
2017-04-10, 12:10 AM
So, I'm sure some people have noted that Paladins and Rangers don't have cantrips on their spell lists. Well, fair enough, cantrips are a means for primary spellcasters to do something each round even when their spell slots are all gone. And paladins and rangers have the option to use weapons, and use them well, so... cantrips are almost redundant for them. Or potentially overpowered a bit.

But what if you still want your paladin/ranger to cast cantrips? And you don't want to use a Feat to do it?

Well, here's my proposal: A fighting style available to paladins and rangers that lets them use cantrips. The cost? Well, it's your fighting style. If you pick this, you give up on using a different one. No Great Weapon Fighting or Close Quarters Shooter for you.

So here goes:

Fighting Style: Cantrip User
Available to Paladins and Rangers. Instead of honing your fighting skills, you decided to hone your magical skills instead. You may select three cantrips from the appropriate spell list (Cleric for Paladins using CHA modifier, Druid for Rangers using WIS modifier). You now know these cantrips and can use them to aid you in your adventures. You may not change your known cantrips later, so choose wisely.

Potato_Priest
2017-04-10, 12:13 AM
Fighting Style: Cantrip User
Available to Paladins and Rangers. Instead of honing your fighting skills, you decided to hone your magical skills instead. You may select three cantrips from the appropriate spell list (Cleric for Paladins, Druid for Rangers). You now know these cantrips and can use them to aid you in your adventures. You may not change your known cantrips later, so choose wisely.

The paladin't version should specify that they get to use charisma as their casting stat.

JNAProductions
2017-04-10, 09:21 AM
Honestly, seems fine to me. As a Martial character, they're probably better off casting Sword or Bow instead, but it's nice having options.

Mr.J
2017-04-10, 01:19 PM
Sounds pretty useful to me. It creates more diversity for a class, and it's more than reasonable to believe that a Paladin or a Ranger could instead wish to cast more spells, feeling more close to their God or whatever.