PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help in choosing a domain for domain sorcerer

Skree
2017-04-10, 04:19 AM
Hello all.

I would like to build a domain sorcerer, it's basicallay a sorcerer who doesn't take the familiar but gets a cleric domain for free (all domain spells are given for free in the spell list).

So... i am uncertain as to what to take. I would like for him to have martial inclination (that class allows to cast in light armor and gives free martial proficiency in ONE weapon), also +2pf / level for free).

So, the domains.

Healing: i would make a drow, so having healing spells to heal myself is good. Plus, i would be able to do more or less any role in the battlefield.

Luck: awesome power. Plus Miracle for free.

Any domain which grants divine power. I would practically get a gestalt character.

What say you?

weckar
2017-04-10, 04:27 AM
War seems the Obvious choice?

Skree
2017-04-10, 04:44 AM
Could be a good choice. But as i said, i am uncertain on what to choose... :S

War is good.

War? Healing? Luck?

Travel?

Pyromancer999
2017-04-10, 08:21 AM
Planar Domains are fun, especially since technically, they only take up both of a cleric's domain choices, not anyone else's. The ones with a Neutral component tend to offer up a Smiting ability for the opposed alignment to the non-neutral aspect of your alignment. They also grant two spells/level, which is great, especially considering Domain Sorcerer only lets you cast each domain spell once per day.

weckar
2017-04-10, 08:58 AM
Planar Domains are fun, especially since technically, they only take up both of a cleric's domain choices, not anyone else's. Elaborate please?

ShurikVch
2017-04-10, 12:16 PM
Note: if Dragon stuff is allowed, then #343 have Divine Sorcery feat - you will get one domain depending on your patron deity, race, and alignment ("domain" in that specific case is a "granted power" and one domain spell/day)Healing:

Patron deity
Race(s)
Alignment

Iallanis
Giant, Half-Giant
Neutral Good

Pelor
Half-Elf, Half-Orc, Human
Lawful Good or Neutral Good

Luck:

Bahamut
Half-Dragon
Lawful Good

War (for access to Divine Power spell):

Corellon
Elf, Half-Elf
Chaotic Good

Gruumsh
Orc, Half-Orc
Chaotic Evil

Heironeous
Assimaar, Human
Lawful Good

Hextor
Human, Tiefling
Lawful Evil

Laogzed
Troglodyte
Chaotic Evil

Moradin
Dwarf
Lawful Good

Panzuriel
Merrow, Underwater Monsters
Lawful Evil or Neutral Evil

Aetis
2017-04-10, 01:52 PM
I've never been disappointed by Travel.

Pyromancer999
2017-04-10, 04:16 PM
Elaborate please?

The text says a planar domain takes up both of a cleric's domain choice slots. Says nothing about anyone else who gets a domain, just clerics. Hence, even though a Domain Sorcerer can only choose one domain, a planar domain is a valid choice because it is a domain and a planar domain only takes up two domain choice slots for clerics, which the Domain Sorcerer is not.

Thurbane
2017-04-10, 09:50 PM
One of the domains that lets you command creature types might be nice to get some extra muscle: Air, Cold, Earth, Fire, Ooze, Plant etc.

Your Cha bonus will give you lots of rebuke attempts. Even if you don't use them to rebuke creatures, some feats will let you burn these up in place of Turn/Rebuke Undead attempts.

Venger
2017-04-10, 10:04 PM
take the summoning domain. it'll save you from having to burn a known slot each level

Troacctid
2017-04-10, 10:21 PM
The text says a planar domain takes up both of a cleric's domain choice slots. Says nothing about anyone else who gets a domain, just clerics. Hence, even though a Domain Sorcerer can only choose one domain, a planar domain is a valid choice because it is a domain and a planar domain only takes up two domain choice slots for clerics, which the Domain Sorcerer is not.
Unless it instructs you to choose a Cleric domain, in which case planar domains would not be a legal choice, as they are technically a separate category.

Pyromancer999
2017-04-11, 07:37 AM
Unless it instructs you to choose a Cleric domain, in which case planar domains would not be a legal choice, as they are technically a separate category.

Haven't seen a copy of Complete Divine in a while, but don't remember it specifying it being a Cleric domain. It is, of course, possible I am wrong. I'll check with my buddy who has a copy.

Matrota
2017-04-11, 11:13 AM
Spell domain. It's better than the magic domain, and gives you anyspell and greater anyspell, which are fantastic.

Skree
2017-04-12, 04:09 AM
take the summoning domain. it'll save you from having to burn a known slot each level

I like this one.

Sigh. I am still uncertain beetween war, Summoner ... and Healing. Healing is a horrid domain for a cleric, but for a sorcerer with spell resistance (i will be playing a drow) i think it is excellent to be able to realiably heal myself and Others.

Darn. I am really at a loss.

Healing seems the most sensible choice. I will be able to cast divine power with lesser wish, anyway.

Summoner is a very good choice also, and some of the creatures you can summon can heal (arvoral, i think) but they came later in levels.

I CAN'T DECIDE!!!

Thank everyone who has written, but i am truly in need of help.

Someone would elaborate what they think about healing domain for a Spell Resistant sorcerer?

Venger
2017-04-12, 12:31 PM
healing is a terrible domain. go with summoner. as you said, several summons can cure wounds, and replenishing hp damage is easily done with wands, potions, healing belts, etc.

Thurbane
2017-04-12, 03:45 PM
healing is a terrible domain. go with summoner. as you said, several summons can cure wounds, and replenishing hp damage is easily done with wands, potions, healing belts, etc.

Indeed: Healing seems a massive waste of this alternate class feature. Pretty much every other domain mentioned so far would be preferable.

If SR and healing are issues for your character, invest in the Reactive Resistance feat (DoTU p.52); but honestly, I can't see it being that much of an issue. For out of combat healing, all it takes is a standard action to lower your resistance.