PDA

View Full Version : AoO on your turn?

Shadowbane13
2017-04-10, 08:28 AM
So here's what's in question. My duskblade took the metamagic feat explosive spell on channeled pyroburst. Which means that when channeled it thrusts any affected by the spell to the edge of the spell. So if I surrounded myself with three enemies and used the spell to knock them back 10+ feet on my turn would that grant me an attack of opportunity on each of them (granted I have combat reflexes and a +3 dex). Cause in the combat part of the books it says attack of opportunity is whenever an ememy moves through or leaves your threat range. Basically my goal was to explode then make an AoO on each of them with my chain lightning sword.

legomaster00156
2017-04-10, 09:03 AM
Unfortunately, unless otherwise stated, involuntary movement does not provoke AoO's.

Necroticplague
2017-04-10, 10:06 AM
So here's what's in question. My duskblade took the metamagic feat explosive spell on channeled pyroburst. Which means that when channeled it thrusts any affected by the spell to the edge of the spell. So if I surrounded myself with three enemies and used the spell to knock them back 10+ feet on my turn would that grant me an attack of opportunity on each of them (granted I have combat reflexes and a +3 dex). Cause in the combat part of the books it says attack of opportunity is whenever an ememy moves through or leaves your threat range. Basically my goal was to explode then make an AoO on each of them with my chain lightning sword.

Doesn't work, they wouldn't provoke AoO's.
An enemy that takes certain actions while in a threatened square provokes an attack of opportunity from you. If you’re unarmed, you don’t normally threaten any squares and thus can’t make attacks of opportunity.
Bolded the important part. Getting knocked back by you isn't them taking an action.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-10, 11:08 AM
Explosive Spell specifically has the enemies moved not provoke AoO's.

In any event, this movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Unfortunately, unless otherwise stated, involuntary movement does not provoke AoO's.
I'd like a rules citation on that please, because in my experience it's actually the other way around. See the example above.
Moving out of a threatened square provokes an AoO, with no restriction on voluntary movement unless the effect inducing the movement states otherwise.

Other examples include Fling Enemy, Fling Ally, Great Throw and Pushback, who all specify that the movement doesn't provoke AoO's.

Getting knocked back by you isn't them taking an action.
The action in question isn't "getting knocked back", it's "moving out of a threatened square".

Necroticplague
2017-04-10, 12:08 PM
The action in question isn't "getting knocked back", it's "moving out of a threatened square".

Except it's not an action. When you're forcefully moved, you're not taking any kind of action. As per the part I quoted previously, you have to take an action to provoke an AoO.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-10, 12:40 PM
Except it's not an action. When you're forcefully moved, you're not taking any kind of action. As per the part I quoted previously, you have to take an action to provoke an AoO.

While that's certainly one way to interpret it the part about moving out of a threatened square provoking doesn't specify voluntary movement.
It also clashes with all the other examples of involuntary movement provoking AoO unless specified otherwise (some of which i posted above), and the various examples of involuntary movement provoking AoO's unless specified otherwise, most notably Bull Rush.

Big Fau
2017-04-10, 12:55 PM
Doesn't work, they wouldn't provoke AoO's.
Bolded the important part. Getting knocked back by you isn't them taking an action.

The rules for Bull Rushing someone disagree.

Necroticplague
2017-04-10, 01:06 PM
While that's certainly one way to interpret it the part about moving out of a threatened square provoking doesn't specify voluntary movement.
It also clashes with all the other examples of involuntary movement provoking AoO unless specified otherwise (some of which i posted above), and the various examples of involuntary movement provoking AoO's unless specified otherwise, most notably Bull Rush. The rules often contain redundant text to make it easier to read. You can't take the specific rules, and from that derive any form of general rule. If non-action Movement doesn't cause AoO, then explosive spell and co's text on not provoking is redundant. If they do, then bull-rush's text is redundant. Either way, one of them is unneeded, so it doesn't serve as evidence.

Just like the similar argument for bonus feats and prereqs doesn't work from that angle. Either you need prereqs, and fighter's text is redundant, or you don't, and monk's is.

The rules for Bull Rushing someone disagree.

Specific overrides general in that that situation, doesn't stop the general from being true.

Shadowbane13
2017-04-10, 02:21 PM
So basically it's a no. There is no AoO when knocking people away with the spell?

J-H
2017-04-10, 02:41 PM
Control Flames (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlFlames.htm) gives a Reflex save to move to another square immediately to avoid fire damage.
I think this movement (not being involuntary, or a 5' step) does provoke an AOO. That's how it was ruled the one time I used it.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-10, 04:00 PM
So basically it's a no. There is no AoO when knocking people away with the spell?

Yes, it's a no.
Explosive Spell specifically states that the movement doesn't provoke.

Darrin
2017-04-11, 07:50 AM

Thicket of Blades (Tome of Battle) might still work, but you'd have to resolve the whole "always/never" conflict.