PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Some Houserules

Ursus Spelaeus
2017-04-10, 08:29 AM
I'm working on a houserule document for an upcoming, and noodling around with some ideas. These ones though are just little patches and clarifications.

Splash Weapons & Ammunition
Flasks are a kind of thrown ammunition, and may be enchanted as such.
Flasks deal damage according to whatever liquid they contain (including splash damage), but add their enhancement damage to both the direct damage and splash damage if enchanted.
Ammunition has size. Projectile weapons may only load weapons of appropriate size.
Stepping up a flask's size increases its splash area; small and medium flasks have a splash area of 5', large flasks have a splash area of 10', huge flasks have a splash area of 15', and so on.

Gauntlets
Gauntlets are a separate weapon category in addition to light, one-handed, and two-handed melee weapons.
Gauntlets follow the same rules as light weapons, except...
Gauntlets are equipped to the 'hand' body slot.
Gauntlets always come in pairs.
Attacks with gauntlets count as unarmed strikes for purposes of effects that relate to it (and benefit from both flurry of blows and the monk's unarmed strike scaling damage).
Attacking with gauntlets does provoke attack of opportunities (unless you have the improved unarmed strike class feature).

Action Economy
You may trade standard actions for additional move actions (but not vise versa)
You may trade move actions for additional swift actions (but not vise versa)
You may 'Exert' as a standard action; if you do, you may perform any one full-round action as a standard action during your next turn.

NEW WEAPONS

Slayer Sword: Exotic weapon. A two-handed slashing weapon with 10' reach that deals d12 damage.
Evening Star: Martial version of the morning star. Damage is stepped up.
Bladed Parasol: Exotic weapon. One-handed version of the collapsing crescent fan. Finesse-able.
Power Fists: Martial gauntlets. You can power attack with these weapons, and add your full Strength modifier to damage with the gauntlet wielded in your main hand.
Dwarven Battle-Fists: Exotic gauntlets. One gauntlet deals bludgeoning damage and grants a +1 shield bonus as though wearing a buckler. The other gauntlet deals piercing damage and has a x4 critical multiplier.

NEW FEATS

Improved Exertion: You can Exert as a move action instead of as a standard action.
Tax Break: Reduces all ability score requirements of other feats by two.
Roll: Counts as Dodge for purposes of meeting prerequisites for feats and prestige classes. Gain a +1 dodge bonus to AC as an immediate action, and make a 5' move if that attack misses.
Vigilance: As Combat Reflexes, but keys off of Wisdom instead of Dexterity. Counts as Combat Reflexes for purposes of meeting prerequisites.
Vitality: Gain +1 HP per hit die. Gain +1 death threshold for every two hit dice. (Thus, a level 20 character would gain +20 HP from this feat, and die at -20 HP. Characters normally die at -10 HP.) Counts as Toughness for purposes of meeting prerequisites.

How about it?

Westhart
2017-04-10, 08:48 AM
Splash weapons
Look good
Gauntlets
unarmed strike class ability, can't remember if it is so but does improved unarmed strike (the feat) do the same? Because if so, you should probably specify to avoid confusion...
exert
With time to prepare this can be useful, requires tactics, which I like.... only problem I can see is someone using ToB material (diamond mind precisely) to get quite a fw attacks per round but [shrug] I like the idea.
NEW WEAPONS:
slayer sword: prefer 2d6 :smallsmile: but looks fine, possibly bonus to disarm or able to make trip attacks, after all 1d12 and reach is not that much, most will go the way of the spiked chain
evening star: how stepped up?
bladed parasol: what sourcebook is the collapsing crescent fan in?
power fists: alright, looks good, although wondering why you can have full str on one (more heavily weighted?)
dwarven gauntlets look good
Feats
Improved exertion: Not sure if this one is best... lose a move to get another full round action... spellcasters may break this, lose move action, cast more spells next round and they can still cast
Tax break: not sure what good this is since most feats (that come to mind atm) will base off the necessary score... but if player/dm does not mind looks good to me...
vigilance: nice
Vitality: love it, have homebrew very similar to this

So all in all I think it is good :smallsmile:

Ursus Spelaeus
2017-04-10, 08:59 AM
Slayer Sword: 2d6 would work. Instead of disarm or trip, what about something a little more unconventional? Maybe a free cleave when you threaten a critical hit? Too potent?

Eveningstar: Maybe +1 average damage?

Bladed Parasol: Collapsing Crescent Fan is from Sandstorm. It grants a +4 to attacks against flatfooted foes.

Power Fists: One of the fists is supposed to much heavier than the other, like Hellboy's stone fist, or like the power fists from Warhammer 40K.

Tax Break: It's supposed to help alleviate MAD at the cost of a feat. It cuts Combat Expertise's requirement down to Int 11+ while also cutting Two-Weapon Fighting's requirement down to Dex 13+.

Westhart
2017-04-10, 09:17 AM
Slayer sword: not sure, cleave is when you drop a foe not a critical hit... maybe on a confirmed crit instead of threatened?

evening star: seems alright

parasol: alright then, maybe give it a bonus on checks to disguise as something else? (do not have sandstorm with me atm)

power fists: gotcha

tax break: no problem with this

Zombimode
2017-04-11, 04:09 AM

Probably not a good idea. Swift actions are generally MUCH more usefull then move actions.

Westhart
2017-04-11, 06:55 AM
Probably not a good idea. Swift actions are generally MUCH more usefull then move actions.

Ach, he is right missed that one... especially potent if ToB is being used...

Ursus Spelaeus
2017-04-11, 07:04 AM
Fair enough. Drop the move>swift action houserule then.
Standard>move is still fine though?
I should add that I would allow move actions to split around other move actions. For example, you can walk, open a door, then continue walking.

Westhart
2017-04-11, 07:14 AM
well, standard>move is in 3.5 I think... because you can take a full round, a move and standard, or 2 moves...

As far as adding that, I kinda use that too... but if you do that you have to change the spring attack feat tree... or just get rid of it your choice

oh, guess you could just say they can't attack as part of it....

jqavins
2017-04-11, 02:30 PM
For both Power Fists and Dwarven Battle Fists: gauntlets are hand specific, and the effects are different here. So, when these things are found as treasure, or in a shop with limited stock, you can't just say one does this and the other does that, you have to specify which is which. Not "the dominant hand gives full strength mod" but rather "the right hand gives full strength mod because it's the heavy one." Come to think of it, if the heavy one is on the off hand perhaps it should give one point less, as the off arm and hand are generally weaker. Likewise with the different effects for the dwarves ones.

Just my feeling, but I see the monk's unarmed strike as a feature that should not have exceptions; unarmed means unarmed. Magic gauntlets might provide exceptions, but not gauntlets in general. My $0.02.

Splash weapons: How about allowing extra small flasks. That would allow fine targeting of acid, flaming oil, or whatever attacks without splashing those around, for when finer targeting is desired (like when your allies are in the melee.)

Since you stated that the bladed parasol is finessable, it brought to mind a homebrew of mine that you might like. One-Handed Weapon Finesse: Where Weapon Finesse applies to all light weapons and just a few specific one-handed weapons, this feat applies to any one specific one-handed weapon of the players choice. Thus, you make a single weapon finessable, but only one at a time. If you like Improved Weapon Finesse (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiVr6fSkZ3TAhUl7IMKHeQBCpEQFgglMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dandwiki.com%2Fwiki%2FImprove d_Weapon_Finesse_(3.5e_Feat)&usg=AFQjCNGQ17Lz4enIRwGFHaUPGS6Q6c7NPQ&sig2=JxRnicUb6L1GWH1jcX67gw), It could be applied to weapons for which you have this feat.

Mr.J
2017-04-11, 11:26 PM
Are gauntlets like anything else? Can be enchanted, etc? Can you hold another weapon while holding gauntlets?

Westhart
2017-04-12, 06:31 AM
Are gauntlets like anything else? Can be enchanted, etc? Can you hold another weapon while holding gauntlets?
1) Gauntlets can be enchanted, normally as a weapon
2) as far as i know yes, after all actual platemail had gauntlets built into it 99/100 cases

Ursus Spelaeus
2017-04-12, 09:28 AM
For both Power Fists and Dwarven Battle Fists: gauntlets are hand specific, and the effects are different here. So, when these things are found as treasure, or in a shop with limited stock, you can't just say one does this and the other does that, you have to specify which is which. Not "the dominant hand gives full strength mod" but rather "the right hand gives full strength mod because it's the heavy one." Come to think of it, if the heavy one is on the off hand perhaps it should give one point less, as the off arm and hand are generally weaker. Likewise with the different effects for the dwarves ones.

Just my feeling, but I see the monk's unarmed strike as a feature that should not have exceptions; unarmed means unarmed. Magic gauntlets might provide exceptions, but not gauntlets in general. My $0.02.

Splash weapons: How about allowing extra small flasks. That would allow fine targeting of acid, flaming oil, or whatever attacks without splashing those around, for when finer targeting is desired (like when your allies are in the melee.)

Since you stated that the bladed parasol is finessable, it brought to mind a homebrew of mine that you might like. One-Handed Weapon Finesse: Where Weapon Finesse applies to all light weapons and just a few specific one-handed weapons, this feat applies to any one specific one-handed weapon of the players choice. Thus, you make a single weapon finessable, but only one at a time. If you like Improved Weapon Finesse (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiVr6fSkZ3TAhUl7IMKHeQBCpEQFgglMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dandwiki.com%2Fwiki%2FImprove d_Weapon_Finesse_(3.5e_Feat)&usg=AFQjCNGQ17Lz4enIRwGFHaUPGS6Q6c7NPQ&sig2=JxRnicUb6L1GWH1jcX67gw), It could be applied to weapons for which you have this feat.

These are fantastic ideas! Thanks. :)

Gauntlets can be enchanted, but the enchantment only functions when both pieces of the pair are worn together.
You may have a pair of gauntlets share the same enchantment, or you may enchant each gauntlet separately.

You can hold other weapons while wearing gauntlets, but you may not attack with a gauntlet while you are holding a weapon in the same hand.

Westhart
2017-04-13, 06:56 AM
Gauntlets can be enchanted, but the enchantment only functions when both pieces of the pair are worn together.
You may have a pair of gauntlets share the same enchantment, or you may enchant each gauntlet separately.

I believe (may be wrong) that the magic ability only working with both is if you enchant them as wondrous items... I *think* that as weapons you can enchant them separately... or the DM's I have played with (and myself :smallbiggrin:) have done it wrong.

Ursus Spelaeus
2017-04-13, 08:48 AM
I believe (may be wrong) that the magic ability only working with both is if you enchant them as wondrous items... I *think* that as weapons you can enchant them separately... or the DM's I have played with (and myself :smallbiggrin:) have done it wrong.

You can enchant them separately? Or you must enchant them separately?

jqavins
2017-04-13, 09:50 AM
You can enchant them separately? Or you must enchant them separately?
Waitaminut waitaminut. You're the DM. It's a house rules thread. Why are you asking, when you should be telling?

I don't know what's in RAW, but here's what I would rule, if called on to do so, for what it's worth:

If enchanting a pair of gauntlets to have a single effect or set of effects then they are enchanted as a single item. That is, one enchantment for the pair.
If enchanting a pair of gauntlets to have different but related effects, e.g. some effects the same but some different variations, this is an extra complicated enchantment on the pair. Add 50% to time, gold, material, XP, and any other costs of enchantment, and they still only operate when both are worn.
Single gauntlets can be enchanted, but the effects should in general be weaker than is possible for a pair. For example, an enchantment that negates the off-hand penalty for TWF would only require enchanting the off hand gauntlet. Enchantments that affect the whole person, such as increasing the character's Strength, can't be done in single gauntlets. Enchanting a pair of gauntlets with unrelated effects requires enchanting them separately, which means that all the costs are double the cost of a single item.
Enchanting a pair with some common effects and some radically different, beyond the variations allowed under Rule 2, can work in either of two ways.

Enchant each gauntlet separately and also enchant the pair. This is three separate enchantments, but has the advantage that the single enchantments work whether or not the pair is worn and then the pair effects kick in when they are. This sort of thing is not too uncommon, where single items are some use but full sets are better than the sum of the parts.
Enchant them together. The cost is as two separate enchantments even though they only work when both are worn. The advantage is the easier and less costly enchantment work.

Quite a bit of this comes down to judgement calls, and some will not like that; it means negotiating between players and DM, and sometimes players will be unhappy with DM decisions. If you and your group are not comfortable with that sort of thing then do not use the above.

Westhart
2017-04-13, 01:19 PM
I like jqavins idea, my DM allowed us to do it sperately for some things... ex: want one flaming gauntlet and one frost one... of course this was *only* for weapon enhancements, almost everything else I have seen requires two... really do like jqavins though :smallbiggrin:

So for how we did it they were basically two different weapons unless you used them for wondrous items

Ursus Spelaeus
2017-04-13, 10:13 PM
Waitaminut waitaminut. You're the DM. It's a house rules thread. Why are you asking, when you should be telling?

Because I want to see other people's interpretations.

Yours is pretty good.

I would perhaps add that gauntlets can be enchanted as both weapons and wondrous items simultaneously (in the same way shields can be enchanted as both weapons and armor.) What kinds of weird interactions might this cause?

DeAnno
2017-04-13, 10:24 PM

This is quite gross in corner cases. Arcane Spellsurge, mainly, but also a number of other powerful uses of swift and/or immediate actions such as Wings of Cover and certain ToB maneuvers get a lot stronger.

Westhart
2017-04-14, 08:07 AM
I would perhaps add that gauntlets can be enchanted as both weapons and wondrous items simultaneously (in the same way shields can be enchanted as both weapons and armor.) What kinds of weird interactions might this cause?

Well, honestly in my experience it has not been bad, you would have to have craft magic arms and armor along with craft wondrous item too make them then follow item creation rules. Get +6 dex on an unarmed fighter... I don't think that it can be takne too far seeing that anything over 200,000 (I think it was around there) is epic.

DeAnno has a good point when he talks about the move to swift action and I am still not sure about the Improved exertion because of this:

ROUND 1:
Wizard casts quicken spell, uses improved exertion, then casts normal spell.
ROUND 2:
Wizard casts quicken spell 1, uses move for additional swift and casts another spell, then uses standard for spell, then since exerted get another full round action (possibly another spell). Of course if this was epic might not be too bad, but if not watched closely can go down hill quickly...
...and that is not getting into ToB

Ursus Spelaeus
2017-04-16, 09:00 AM
Thanks for everything, guys!

Now, while I'm houseruling gauntlets and splash weapons, is there anything else that you would recommend that I work on for my houserule document? Any weapon/armor related edge cases or ambiguities I should work on next?

Westhart
2017-04-17, 07:13 AM
Just weapon wise I might suggest the spiked chain be toned down...
...I have had DM's believe that it was how exotic weapons should be since yo have to spend a feat, annd had ones that thought it was rubbish, guess it depends on your preferences...
Some people do not like +5 defending spikes on armor and shield stacking for +10 to AC, although I think by RAW they do...
EDIT: WIll look through books and somethings, then possibly have suggestions tomorrow. :smallsmile:

Ursus Spelaeus
2017-04-17, 08:32 AM
I was actually thinking of instead buffing other exotic weapons instead.

Westhart
2017-04-17, 01:19 PM
I was actually thinking of instead buffing other exotic weapons instead.

Yes, thought about doing the same at some point, so I will start that... I also agree with themm needing a tad more for the feat. Will hopefully have some tomorrow :smallbiggrin:

Westhart
2017-04-18, 07:13 AM
I know that these are not that great, and I did not get them all but here are some ideas I have:

PHB
Light-melee

Kama: 1d6, x2, and can trip… Give it range 10’ and possibly ranged trip attempts and this becomes fun to play with especially if the tank is nearby or the rogue with sneak attack of opportunity. If it had range I believe it might replace my favorite of throwing daggers, Except for the crit range (just 20)
Nunchaku: Hmm, makes me think of those old movies where the guy swings it around forever before anything happens... Maybe allow them to make a ‘flurry’ attack that gives them an additional attack at highest BAB -2. Or you could add something for the grapplers, where they can pin someone and chokehold them.
Sai: prong like offshoots gives a +4 bonus on disarm, seems alright but +4 for a feat? I will rather take something else. Maybe the progs give it a bonus benefit when used in off hand granting a +2 shield bonus to AC?
Siangham: Special monk weapon, that’s it… Maybe give it a piercing chance if used as a full round action. EX: You have a line with 3 people AC 25, 31, and 29 or so. You roll a 26 so it hits the 25 since he is first and continues towards the 31, gaining a -2 bonus to hit for everyone it goes through. Thus the roll -2 would not hit the AC 31 and stops there. Not if you rolled a 34 you would hit all three. Of course this turns it into a ranged weapon so you have to give it a range increment, possibly 30’?

One handed-melee

Bastard Sword: This is really weak for an exotic weapon, I usually make it a martial, not much you can do with this. Adding reach changes the concept and overlaps with your slayer sword. Bonus on disarm does not make much sense nor does trip… like I said this is better moved down to a martial weapon. The thing that keeps it exotic is it does 1d10 vs the top of 1d8 in the PHB
Dwarven Waraxe: Same as the bastard sword, but with this you can add trip. Maybe since dwarves are renowned craftsman make it so they can be adjusted as a move/standard action to gain 10’ reach but if you do so it should stay exotic. Possibly become a two hander when extended?
Whip-any player I have played with has preferred dagger whip to this. AoO for using? Negated by armor or natural armor bonus? Using the dagger whip is better.

Two handed melee weapons

Orc double axe: I want to say this looks good, if looking for something unconventional maybe as a full round action make an attack against all adjacent enemies. (duplicating whirlwind attack) Not sure how powerful this would be since you need combat expertise anf then whirlwind attack… I usually give weapon familiarity with this to orcs and half orcs
Gnome hooked hammer: with a d6 (x3) and a d4 (x4) this is an equivalent of a handaxe and a light pick… I feel this is actually weaker because with TWF you can get better damage… Honestly not sure how to fix this… maybe increase damage a die and add a trip attack...
Two bladed sword: perhaps give it the whirlwind idea as the orc double axe. 1d8/1d8 19-20 x2 seems alright nothing too special…
Dwarven urgrosh: have a thing where the spear end can either launch out or just extend, possibly catching the foe flat footed for the first time it is used against that foe during the encounter if extend should just not have any reach, if actually springs at them then maybe 10’?

Ranged weapons

Bolas: Not sure if this should be nonlethal, after all it is a ball of iron attached with two chains… That is why you can make ranged trip attacks (wraps around legs), of course I believe I am thinking of the same thing… To demonstrate: In Only possible change I can think of is to make it stun for 1 round on a crit (makes useful then for rogue bounty hunters, one trips up, possibly dazes and then others get sneak attack) Not really sure here though.
Hand crossbow: As was, little better then throwing daggers (larger range increment) and definitely worse than bows. Possible changes: Increase damage so medium is 1d6 and small is 1d4, reduce reload time to a free action… after all otherwise just pick up quick draw and throw daggers, or for that matter get a bow and save the feat. You could also throw other items by picking up quick draw and throw anything… this is not a good item w/out rapid reload and that is an extra feat… One more idea you could use: Within 30’ the wielder of a hand crossbow may add their dexterity to damage. This represents the marksmanship and how he can aim fro more vital spots at close range...
Repeating crossbows-Not sure why these are exotic, you pull a lever to load another bolt faster… only suggestion is to either make it a martial weapon (if not simple) or to make it hold more bolts… Making it martial or simple would not make it the go to weapon as you can still get a bow, and at low levels it is costly. Another idea could be letting them make an additional attack at -2 penalty
Net: I like the net… Or I would if it did not take *2* full rounds to get back to normal. Fixes: Instead of -4 to dex lose dex (makes better for rogue types). Instead of escaping with DC 20 escape artist (Available on a roll of 10-20 at 7th level if 10 for dex, and maxed escape artist) you can make it an opposed grapple check with a -4 penalty for using it at range? Only 6 hit points means that against anyone you would actually hit will soon be out, and Str check of 25… Maybe increase the DC’s but that only extends the lifespan into higher levels. I also believe it may be negated by freedom of movement which means at higher levels anyone with this feat has wasted it… And I do not see a way to fix that… so the net gets left.
Shuriken: My initial thought was that these suck, plain and simple. I am still of that opinion but seeing that they are treated as ammunition they might not be bad for a sneak attack but… I would take improved unarmed strike before exotic weapon proficiency for this, you still deal more damage with a punch. Only good thing is for someone apply poison use, although I would still use other range possibilities before this. Maybe make things similar to alchemists arrows (Arms and Equipment Guide) depending on how advanced the setting is these could be interesting then. For example if you had the gnomish tinkerers more advanced then possibly give them one that hits and blows up for some damage in a small radius… I just don’t like shurikens in D&D.

Arms And Equipment Guide
Exotic melee:

Claw bracer: Not as bad as I thought at first, lets you use this with spells normally and also can not be disarmed, something I believe most gauntlets should share. A d4 is dagger damage, with the same crit… Not something I would spend a feat on. Maybe if you could do the spell razor idea where you cast a spell and attack once as a standard action but even for the gnome quickrazor it requires an additional feat...
Stump knife: This one is interesting, if you deal damage in ‘continuous’ melee it is increased to 17-20 which with the keen property becomes an even bigger range
Tiger claws: not disarmable, similar ‘nekode’ gives climb bonus
Triple dagger: made for disarming +3 bonus on disarms, no two weapon fighting penalties as long as just for disarming (What I think it means)
Whip dagger: 15’ reach, don’t worry about armor, 1d6 x2, maybe an ability were you stab them with the end and drag them closer to you?
Bladed Gauntlet: Nice for what it is, but where is the classic blocking with the blades technique? Maybe a shield bonus equal to ¼ BAB or just a plain +2. What I would like to see on the gauntlet is rending if you hit with both of them.
Chain and dagger: A weaker version of the spiked chain, at this point I would not even bother to include in a game with it because increasing what it does just ends up with basically the same thing.
Double mace: perhaps if you hit with both ends and one is a crit save dc = 10+damage dealt from all attacks or nauseated/shaken?
Double scimitar: interesting idea, could add a trip here
Full blade: Medium need exotic b/c it is so big just to wield one handed, not bad for damage 2d8 19-20 x2 but that is all that is going for it… maybe a special bull rush where you can attempt to hit a creature back with it. (It is so big it is referred to as ‘ogre greatsword’)

Ranged weapons

Gnome Calclus: Alchemical items with a better range? Sorry, but I do not believe this one can be fixed… Maybe apply some additional damage, ex: a flask of alchemists hitting you in the face will shatter dealing 1d3 piercing and bludgeoning damage. Most Dm’s would probably allow you to use a plain sling and do the same.
Fukimi bari: Another one of the difficult ones to fix, 1 pt of damage will not help unless using contact poisons, injury poisons will be nerfed by a single point of DR in most cases. Also as you get higher levels poison becomes less and less useful as immunities and heavy resistances make the saves easier.
Two ball bolas: This does not make sense, the PHB entry begins “A set of bolas consists of two or three heavy wooden spheres” At least this is not nonlethal damage as normal bolas, and still have ranged trip. Only medium or smaller creatures.
Spring loaded gauntlet: Makes me think of the prince of persia-sands of time movie. Except that guys shot pieces of metal in a rough diamond shape and shot like 5 at a time… Takes a move to load, only one bolt a load. Thinking add some more bolts, and possibly reducing to a swift/free reload action
Harpoon: creatures smaller than medium take a -2 even with exotic weapon proficiency, which seeing that small harpoon would be shaped for a small creature does not make much sense… removal deals damage equal to initial damage unless heal dc 15 is achieved. Possibly deadly with a sneak attack. Possible changes include getting a higher DC.

I hope it helps, although the suggestions aren't much :smallfrown: