PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Best Rogue Talent for a Backstabber?

Palanan
2017-04-10, 12:07 PM
I have a second-level Unchained rogue who has everything except his first rogue talent. Right now I’m not sure whether to emphasize his facility with backstabbing or his smoothly duplicitous nature.

If I highlight the backstabbing, what would be a good rogue talent to support that? I’m open to all official Paizo content, although I don’t know if there’s much support for rogue talents beyond the major hardbacks. Is there anything that would be especially useful for my stabbing needs?

Psyren
2017-04-10, 12:34 PM
Slow Reactions is one of the better combat talents.

I know you mentioned stabbing but I would probably get Canny Observer, (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents/paizo-rogue-talents/canny-observer-ex/) it's pretty much always useful (and particularly so at low levels.) Minor Magic/Major Magic are also good to have.

You mentioned all Paizo content - some rogue talents are not technically legal choices for the uRogue, did your GM waive that?

Geddy2112
2017-04-10, 12:46 PM
In addition to the ones Psyren mentioned;

You can't go wrong with combat trick-free combat feat is always good.
If you are TWF using two of the same weapon finesse talent is one you will want.

Depending on your game and DM's particular style, trap spotter might be incredibly useful or totally useless. Black market connections also falls into this catagory.
If you want to go super backstabby, surprise attack and underhanded are incredibly good.

Palanan
2017-04-10, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Psyren
Slow Reactions is one of the better combat talents.

I know you mentioned stabbing but I would probably get Canny Observer, it's pretty much always useful (and particularly so at low levels.) Minor Magic/Major Magic are also good to have.

You mentioned all Paizo content - some rogue talents are not technically legal choices for the uRogue, did your GM waive that?

Thanks for these, a couple of interesting options here.

I’m the GM, but I’m not that familiar with rogue talents. Which ones won’t work with the unchained rogue?

Originally Posted by Geddy2112
If you want to go super backstabby, surprise attack and underhanded are incredibly good.

Thanks, these are really strong contenders. Maximized sneak attack damage? Yes please.

Which skill is used for concealing a weapon? Whatever it is, I may need to max that out.

CockroachTeaParty
2017-04-10, 01:18 PM
This has little to do with either of the things you mentioned, but I'm currently playing an unchained rogue through a long-running campaign (we just hit level 10).

While I've got the standard spread of combat trick, etc. etc., the best rogue talent I ever took was Expert Leaper. I took it as a filler talent, since I had everything I wanted and was just waiting for advanced talents, but boy is it fun. The numbers quickly grow insane, and in the absence of a fly speed an absurd Acrobatics check essentially gives you wire-fu. You can leap over obstacles, up into trees, laugh at pits and chasms, and fall from rooftops with relative safety. It is my #1 recommended rogue talent for the fun factor alone.

Psyren
2017-04-10, 01:21 PM
Thanks for these, a couple of interesting options here.

I’m the GM, but I’m not that familiar with rogue talents. Which ones won’t work with the unchained rogue?

Do you have Pathfinder Unchained? The class entry lists the ones it came with and the ones you can bring over from the rogue.

I suppose though that technically, nothing is stopping you from using Extra Rogue Talent to learn one of the ones that wasn't ported.

Which skill is used for concealing a weapon? Whatever it is, I may need to max that out.

Sleight of Hand