PDA

View Full Version : Is this too much healing for a class ability?

gooddragon1
2017-04-10, 04:30 PM
Channeled Healing (Su)

As a standard action, a clergy vigilant can heal wounds by touch by converting magical energy. A clergy vigilant must use all the energy from a single source on a single target and cannot save it for later. Non-divine sources of magical energy provide half as much healing as divine sources, and the minimum amount of healing this ability can produce is 1 hit point.

This healing can come from unused spell slots (from the clergy vigilant or other willing casters) or magical items. An unused spell slot can be converted into an amount of healing equal to the level of the spell slot x (clergy vigilant level + clergy vigilant charisma modifier if any). 0 level spells are treated as 1st level spells. A clergy vigilant of 3rd level or lower is treated as having unused 1st level spell slots even if he ordinarily would not be high enough level to cast them if his wisdom modifier would be sufficient to grant him bonus 1st level spell slots. When using a spell slot from a willing caster, the clergy vigilant must ready a standard action to channel the spell energy while the willing caster casts the spell in this alternate method. A clergy vigilant cannot use this ability more than once every 24 hours with any specific spellcaster other than himself.

Magical items can also be used to fuel this ability without permanent damage. A magic item without limited charges or uses provides healing equal to half the caster level used when making the item x (clergy vigilant level + clergy vigilant charisma modifier if any). Thereafter, the item becomes nonfunctional for 1d4 rounds, and cannot be used again in this manner for 24 hours. If the item has charges, one of those charges is used up when it is used in this way. If it has limited uses, one of those uses is used up (example: scrolls and potions with single uses are rendered useless). Items with multiple different charges or limited uses have a random use or charge expended. Items must be owned by the clergy vigilant, willing if sentient, and cannot be artifacts.

Other sources of energy than those described above could potentially be used, but such innovative magical ability would likely be an impressive feat.

It's on a 4th level slot cap caster, full BAB (the one in my sig basically).

So, is this too much healing?

Zombulian
2017-04-10, 04:35 PM
It's on a 4th level slot cap caster, full BAB (the one in my sig basically).

So, is this too much healing?

No. Especially considering how contrived the mechanic is and the 24h cooldown.

gooddragon1
2017-04-10, 04:36 PM

The word contrived seems bad. Is it bad? I thought it might be at least partially useful.

Zombulian
2017-04-10, 04:39 PM
The word contrived seems bad. Is it bad? I thought it might be at least partially useful.

It's just a lot of work to go through to get an okay amount of healing once per day. As long as it's not the lynchpin of the class it's a fine ability.

Starbuck_II
2017-04-10, 04:41 PM
"A clergy vigilant cannot use this ability more than once every 24 hours with any specific spellcaster other than himself."
Actually, it is 1/day on others but not on self.

gooddragon1
It's just a lot of work to go through to get an okay amount of healing once per day. As long as it's not the lynchpin of the class it's a fine ability.

You can use your own spell slots as many as you have. Each item you have can be used once per day. Each other spellcaster besides you can be used once per day.

EDIT: Semi-ninja'd

The_Jette
You may want to consider changing it so that 0-level spells count as 1/2 level spells. That's how it's normally used if 0 level spells are allowed to be sacrificed at all. Also, you should note that this ability can be misused in games where cantrips are at will. Essentially, take a one level dip into this and you'll be able to fully heal your party between encounters, given a little bit of time. At level 1, counting 0 level spells only, with a +3 Cha bonus, you're healing for 3 hp per round at will.

gooddragon1
2017-04-10, 04:44 PM
You may want to consider changing it so that 0-level spells count as 1/2 level spells. That's how it's normally used if 0 level spells are allowed to be sacrificed at all. Also, you should note that this ability can be misused in games where cantrips are at will. Essentially, take a one level dip into this and you'll be able to fully heal your party between encounters, given a little bit of time. At level 1, counting 0 level spells only, with a +3 Cha bonus, you're healing for 3 hp per round at will.

I've never heard of that, but:
"If a spell slot becomes usable at will, it can't be used more than once every 24 hours for this purpose."

That should fix it.

Also, I've run into many people who didn't like doing math in D&D which is why it's not half for 0 level spells. However, with the seconded suggestion, I think I will make it that way.

Zombulian
2017-04-10, 04:48 PM
I still think it's fine. It's fairly clear that it's an out of combat healing ability and it's definitely not too much.
Might second the 0th level spells being 1/2 instead of 1, but really I don't see much of a problem.

gooddragon1
2017-04-10, 05:18 PM
I still think it's fine. It's fairly clear that it's an out of combat healing ability and it's definitely not too much.
Might second the 0th level spells being 1/2 instead of 1, but really I don't see much of a problem.

Changes made, thanks to everyone for the feedback.