PDA

View Full Version : The Spellblade - A Fighter/Mage Base Class for 5e D&D

Octomac
2017-04-10, 05:51 PM
Hi, everyone.

I've been working on and off on this for about three weeks with a couple other members of my group, and we're going to be play-testing it here in a new campaign at the end of the month. I'd love to get some feedback before I do so, potentially identifying any issues and necessary tweaks before we go live with it in a game.

This is the Spellblade, a new base class for Dungeons and Dragons 5e. It is a 50/50 balance of arcane magic and martial prowess. I envision it as sitting comfortably between the Eldritch Knight (which is about 75% fightin', 25% castin') and the Bladesinger (which is about 75% castin', 25% fightin'). It's the gish-in-a-box build that I really want but feel is missing from the game at the moment. I believe there is space to design here, a need that can be filled, and this is my crack at doing just that.

The Spellblade

Spellblades are powerful warriors who blend arcane magic with deadly combat skills. They are singularly dedicated combatants whose incredible focus and willpower allows them to stand up to nearly any foe. While many spellblades are elves, owing to the fey peoples' incredible lifespan, members of any race can become spellblades, provided they possess the determination necessary to master this demanding tradition.

Class Features
As a Spellblade, you gain the following class features
Hit Points
___
- Hit Dice: 1d8 per spellblade level
- Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constituion modifier
- Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per spellblade level after 1st

Proficiencies
___
- Armor: Light and medium armor
- Weapons: Simple weapons, arming swords, longswords, rapiers, scimitars, shortswords
- Tools: Artisan's tools

___
- Saving Throws: Constitution, Intelligence
- Skills: Choose two from Athletics, Acrobatics, Arcana, History, Insight, Stealth

Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
- *(a)* a martial weapon or *(b)* two light martial weapons
- *(a)* five javelins or *(b)* any simple ranged weapon
- Leather armor and a scholar's pack

The Spellblade

| Level | Prof. | Features | Cantrips Known | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
| 1st | +2 | Spellcasting | 2 | 1 | — | — | — | — |
| 2nd | +2 | Fighting Style, Arcane Strike | 2 | 2 | — | — | — | — |
| 3rd | +2 | Spellblade Tradition | 2 | 3 | — | — | — | — |
| 4th | +2 | Ability Score Improvement | 3 | 3 | — | — | — | — |
| 5th | +3 | Extra Attack | 3 | 4 | 2 | — | — | — |
| 6th | +3 | Spellblade Tradition Feature | 3 | 4 | 2 | — | — | — |
| 7th | +3 | Arcane Shield | 3 | 4 | 3 | — | — | — |
| 8th | +3 | Ability Score Improvement | 3 | 4 | 3 | — | — | — |
| 9th | +4 | — | 3 | 4 | 3 | 2 | — | — |
| 10th | +4 | Spellblade Tradition Feature | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2 | — | — |
| 11th | +4 | Improved Arcane Strike | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | — | — |
| 12th | +4 | Ability Score Improvement | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | — | — |
| 13th | +5 | — | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 1 | — |
| 14th | +5 | Spellblade Tradition Feature | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 1 | — |
| 15th | +5 | Arcane Sight | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 | — |
| 16th | +5 | Ability Score Improvement | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 | — |
| 17th | +6 | — | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 1 |
| 18th | +6 | Spellblade Tradition Feature | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 1 |
| 19th | +6 | Ability Score Improvement | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 |
| 20th | +6 | Arcane Restoration | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 |

Spellcasting
As part of your studies, you seek to understand the powers of the arcane. At 1st level, you have created or acquired a spellbook that contains the first steps of your journey to greater knowledge. You use the wizard spell list for your spellcasting. See chapter 10 in the Player's Handbook for general rules of spellcasting and Chapter 11 for the wizard spell list.

Cantrips
At 1st level, you know two cantrips of your choice. You learn additional cantrips from the wizard spell list at higher levels, as shown in the Cantrips Known column of the Spellblade table.

Spellbook
At 1st level, you obtain or complete work on a spellbook containing four 1st-level spells from the wizard spell list of your choice.

Preparing and Casting Spells
The Spellblade table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

You prepare the list of spellblade spells that are available for you to cast. To do so, choose a number of spellblade spells from your spellbook equal to your Intelligence modifier + your wizard level (minimum of one spell). The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

For example, if you’re a 5th-level spellblade, you have four 1st-level and two 2nd-level spell slots. With an Intelligence of 16, your list of prepared spells can include six spells of 1st or 2nd level, in any combination, chosen from your spellbook. If you prepare the 1st-level spell magic missile, you can cast it using a 1st-level or a 2nd-level slot. Casting the spell doesn’t remove it from your list of prepared spells.

You can change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest. Preparing a new list of spellblade spells requires time spent studying your spellbook and memorizing the incantations and gestures you must make to cast the spell: at least 1 minute per spell level for each spell on your list.

Spellcasting Ability
Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for your spells, since you learn your spells through dedicated study and memorization. You use your Intelligence whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a wizard spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier

Spellcasting Focus
You may use a weapon with which you are proficient as an arcane focus. This allows you to use your weapon as a spellcasting focus for your spellblade spells. Rules for arcane foci are found in Chapter 5 of the Player's Handbook.

Learning Spells of 1st Level and Higher
Each time you gain a spellblade level, you can add one spell of your choice from the wizard spell list to your spellbook for free. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots, as shown on the Spellblade table. On your adventures, you might find other spells that you can add to your spellbook (see “Your Spellbook” in the Wizard class entry in the Player's Handbook for additional rules).

Fighting Style
At 2nd level, you adopt a particular style of fighting as your specialty. Choose one of the following options. You can’t take a Fighting Style option more than once, even if you later get to choose again.

Defense
While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.

Dueling
When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand that does not have the heavy property, and have no weapon in your other hand, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.

Two-Weapon Fighting
When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.

Versatile
When you wield a weapon with the versatile property in one hand, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls with that weapon. When you wield a weapon with the versatile property in two hands, you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.

Arcane Strike
Starting at 2nd level, when you hit a creature with a melee weapon Attack, you can expend one spell slot to deal your choice of fire, cold, lightning, or acid damage to the target, in addition to the weapon's damage. The extra damage is 2d8 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d8 for each Spell Level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d8.

Spellblade Tradition
When you reach 3rd level, you choose a Spellblade Tradition, a path of study that informs how you blend arcane and martial traditions. You choose from the paths of the Duskblade and the Magus, which are detailed at the end of the class description.

Your choice grants you features at 3rd level, and again at 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th level.

Ability Score Improvement
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Extra Attack
Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

Arcane Shield
Beginning at 7th level, you have the ability to protect yourself with a burst of arcane energy. When you are hit with an attack, you can expend a spell slot as a reaction to create a shield of arcane power around yourself, absorbing some or all of the damage. The damage is reduced by 2d8, plus 1d8 for each Spell Level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d8.

Improved Arcane Strike
At 11th level, your Arcane Strike ability improves. You can now choose from additional damage types: thunder, force, necrotic, and psychic.

Arcane Sight
At 15th level, you have trained yourself to see the subtle threads of magic everywhere around you. You gain the ability to cast detect magic without expending a spell slot.

Arcane Restoration
At 20th level, you gain a limited ability to recover your expended magical energies. You may spend an action to regain spell slots. The slots recovered can have a total level of 5 + your Intelligence modifier, and no slot may be greater than 5th level. For example, a spellblade with an Intelligence of 16 could regain a single 5th level spell slot and a 3rd level slot, or two 2nd level slots and a 3rd level slot, or eight 1st level slots.

Once you have used this ability, you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest.

Spellblade Traditions
Spellblades follow one of several traditions, which focus on different ways to intertwine martial combat and magical prowess. Each tradition is associated with a school of thought, describing a philosophy of combat and magic combined.

Duskblade
The path of the Duskblade was originally pioneered by the elves, though now the tradition has expanded to many other races and cultures. Duskblades are focused on the art of casting spells while attacking, eventually becoming capable of doing both nearly simultaneously.

Battle Tested Mage
At 3rd level, you are capable of effectively maintaining your spells in combat. When you take damage while maintaining concentration on a spell, you gain a bonus to your Constitution saving throw equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum 1).

War Magic
At 6th level, when you use your action to cast a cantrip, you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action.

Spell Shift
At 10th level, when you cast a spell of 1st level or higher, you can use a bonus action to teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied location you can see. You can teleport before or after the spell is cast. Once you use this ability, you must complete a short or long rest before using it again.

Improved War Magic
Starting at 14th level, when you use your action to cast a spell of 1st level or higher, you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action.

Prescient Blade
At 18th level, when you become the target of an attack or spell, you can cast any spell of 5th level or lower with a casting time of 1 action or 1 bonus action as a reaction. Once you use this ability, you must complete a long rest before using it again.

Magus
Magi are arcane fighters and scholars who learn to effectively channel their spellcasting power through their weapons. Magi focus on making themselves more deadly and more durable in close combat, using magical might to overpower their opponents quickly and fiercely.

Expanded Spell List
As you progress as a Magus, you gain access to additional spells. You may choose from an expanded list of spells whenever you learn a new spellblade spell by gaining a level in the spellblade class. The following spells are added to the spellblade spell list for you. You cannot learn a spell from this list that is of a level higher than you can cast.

| Spell Level | Spell |
| 1st | thunderous smite |
| 2nd | branding smite |
| 3rd | blinding smite |
| 4th | staggering smite |
| 5th | banishing smite |

Potent Strike
At 3rd level, you are particularly capable of channelling magical power through your strikes. When you use your Arcane Strike ability, you may add your Intelligence modifier to the extra damage dealt.

Elemental Strike
At 6th level, you learn a special technique to improve your Arcane Strikes. Choose one ability from the list below. Your Arcane Strikes made with the associated damage type gain additional properties.

Burning Strike. You can empower your arcane strikes with burning energy. When you use your Arcane Strike ability and you have chosen to deal fire damage, all other enemies within 5 feet of the target must make a Dexterity save against your Spell Save DC or take 2d8 fire damage, or half that much on a failed save.

Clinging Strike. You can cause a burst of acidic energy to envelop your foes. When you use your Arcane Strike ability and you have chosen to deal acid damage, the target of your attack must succeed on a Constitution saving throw versus your Spell Save DC. On a failure, it takes 2d8 acid damage at the start of your next turn.

Freezing Strike. You can charge your arcane strikes with bitter coldness. When you use your Arcane Strike ability and you have chosen to deal cold damage, the target of your attack must make a Constitution saving throw against your Spell Save DC. On a failure, its speed is reduced to 0 until the end of your next turn.

Shocking Strike. You can imbue your arcane strikes with the power of lightning. When you use your Arcane Strike ability and you have chosen to deal lightning damage, all creatures within a 15 foot line from the target must make a Dexterity saving throw against your Spell Save DC or take 2d8 lightning damage.

Aggressive Resistance
At 10th level, when you successfully perform an Arcane Strike, you gain resistance to the type of damage you chose to deal until the end of your next turn.

Empowered Strike
At 14th level, you learn to channel your magical powers further into your weapon attacks. Choose one ability from the list below. Your Arcane Strikes made with the associated damage type gain additional properties.

Clouding Strike. You can channel magical energies into your arcane strikes to cloud the minds of your opponents. When you use your Arcane Strike ability and you have chosen to deal psychic damage, the target of your attack must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw versus your Spell Save DC. If it fails, you shield yourself from that creature's perception, and you are invisible and silent to that creature until the end of your next turn. If you attack the target before the end of your next turn, this effect is broken.

Repelling Strike. When you use your Arcane Strike ability and you have chosen to deal force damage, all creatures within 5 feet of you must succeed on a Strength saving throw versus your Spell Save DC. On a failure, a creature is pushed 15 feet directly away from you. If this movement would cause it to hit a wall or other barrier, it stops there and takes an additional 1d6 damage per 5 feet it would have moved. You cannot push creatures of Huge size or larger with this ability.

Thundering Strike. You can cause your weapon to create a wave of sonic energy, flattening your foes. When you use your Arcane Strike ability and you have chosen to deal thunder damage, all creatures in a 30 foot line or a 15 foot cone (your choice) must make a Dexterity saving throw versus your Spell Save DC. Any creature that fails is knocked prone.

Vampiric Strike. You can use your arcane strikes to steal the life from your opponents. If you reduce a creature to 0 hit points by using your Arcane Strike ability and you have chosen to deal necrotic damage, you immediately gain 2d8 temporary hit points.

Strike to the Core
At 18th level, you can destroy the defenses of even the hardiest opponents. When you use your Arcane Strike ability, you can cause the target of your attack to gain vulnerability to the type of damage you chose to use for 1 minute. If the target has resistance or immunity to that damage type, it instead loses its resistance or immunity.

Once you use this ability, you must complete a short or long rest before using it again.

I'm looking for any feedback on the class at all. What works well, what doesn't? What's too powerful or too versatile, and what could use a bit of a boost? In addition, I have only two Traditions for the Spellblade, which doesn't come close to what some of the other classes have, now that Unearthed Arcana has really gotten rolling. If you like the class, and you have an idea for another Spellblade Tradition, let's hash it out here!

Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to the community's feedback!

JNAProductions
2017-04-10, 07:49 PM
You know, I've seen people try to build spellswords before. They usual outfighter the fighter and outcast the wizard-which is bad for balance.

This? This doesn't. My gut says it's good.

Octomac
2017-04-10, 09:38 PM
You know, I've seen people try to build spellswords before. They usual outfighter the fighter and outcast the wizard-which is bad for balance.

This? This doesn't. My gut says it's good.

Thank you, I've been working very hard on making sure that it's balanced with existing classes. The Paladin was my benchmark, and as the class gains levels, I tried to keep it at about 75-80% of the raw damage output of the archetypical holy knights. Spellblades don't get the bonus to raw damage that Paladins do at higher levels, but I think that's more than made up for by the versatility of their spell list.

Octomac
2017-04-12, 05:06 PM
Just one quick bump here -- any other feedback? Ideas on where additional Traditions could go?

If not, I'll leave it be!

Thanks!

clash
2017-04-13, 09:59 AM
This actually looks really good and is unique enough from the Paladin to warrant it's own class I think. Good job.

A few comments:
This class should probably have it's own spell-list rather than just copying from the wizard spell list.
Prescient Blade is a reaction, but what is it a reaction to? A reaction isnt treated like a bonus action where it is just part of the action economy. It needs to be used as when X happens you can do Y as a reaction.

Octomac
2017-04-13, 12:00 PM
This actually looks really good and is unique enough from the Paladin to warrant it's own class I think. Good job.

A few comments:
This class should probably have it's own spell-list rather than just copying from the wizard spell list.
Prescient Blade is a reaction, but what is it a reaction to? A reaction isnt treated like a bonus action where it is just part of the action economy. It needs to be used as when X happens you can do Y as a reaction.

Thank you for the feedback! I will consider a spell list unique to this class, but honestly, it'd probably just end up being a major subset of the Wizard list, anyway.

With regards to the Prescient Blade ability, my intention is that it would be used as a sort of counterattack once per day. I will add the phrase "when you are the target of an attack" to indicate when you are allowed to use it. The idea is that you've become so quick at casting your spells, you can fire one off as a sort of interrupt to an enemy casting at or attacking you. How's that sound?

clash
2017-04-13, 12:04 PM
Ok, ya if that is the intent it just needs to be clarified and it should work as is

Octomac
2017-04-14, 06:44 PM
I'm toying with adding a third Tradition based on counterattacking other spell-casters. Here is my first draft at doing so, using a name that was quite common in 3rd Edition days:

_______

Abjurant Champion
Abjurant Champions are masters of the counterattack, capable of reflecting spells and effects back on their casters. These careful fighters build strong defenses while weakening their opponents and turning their own weapons against them.

Counter Strike
At 3rd level, when you are the target of a spell or magical effect which requires an attack roll, and that attack misses, you can spend a 1st level spell slot as a reaction to reflect that effect back on the creature that attacked you.

Make a spell attack roll using your Intelligence modifier. If it hits, the creature is affected as though it had been hit by the original attack.

Spell Reflection
At 6th level, when you are the target of a single-target spell or magical effect which requires a saving throw, and you succeed at the saving throw, you can expend a 2nd level spell slot as a reaction to reflect the magical effect on the caster.

The creature makes a saving throw of the same type that the original effect called for against your spellcasting DC. If it fails, it suffers the original spell or ability's effect.

Dispelling Strike
At 10th level, when you use your Arcane Strike ability using a 3rd level spell slot, you can forego dealing your arcane strike damage dice to attempt a dispelling strike instead. This functions exactly like the spell dispel magic as cast from a 3rd level slot, targeting the creature you hit with your arcane strike, except that you have advantage on the spellcasting ability check if one is required. You may use this ability even if you do not have dispel magic prepared.

When you use this ability, you may choose to spend a 4th level slot to cast dispel magic as a 4th level spell, and a 5th level slot to cast it as a 5th level spell.

Spell Redirection
At 14th level, when you succeed on a saving throw versus an spell or magical effect with an instantaneous duration that targets multiple creatures, you can spend a 4th level spell slot as a reaction to instead turn that effect back on its caster. The original caster makes the same type of saving throw as the original effect called for against your spellcasting DC. If it fails, the effect is instead created with an origin point centered on the original caster. Otherwise, the effect continues as though you had not countered it, though you still succeed on the saving throw.

Spell Absorption
At 18th level, when you successfully roll a saving throw against a spell or magical effect that targets only you, you can forego any effects or damage that you would normally incur from successfully saving and instead absorb the spell's energies to recharge your own arcane powers. If you do so, you immediately regain a total number of spell levels equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum 1). For instance, if you have an Intelligence of 16, you could regain a level 3 slot, or a level 2 and a level 1 slot.

Once you use this ability, you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest.

_______

Now, this draft is, I think, a bit ahead of the power curve. In particular, Counter Strike and Spell Reflection are fine at low levels, where you're parrying chromatic orb and fire bolt spells, but I think that by high levels, they may well be under-costed. It may be balanced by the fact that you're burning your spell slots to do it, and that the abilities can't be used with other level slots (so you will only, at most, be able to do these 3-4 times a day). Not sure, though -- I can't decide if this is a good enough balancing factor or not.

Would love to get some feedback and advice on this new Tradition!

Octomac
2017-04-14, 10:02 PM
Bad form to double-post, I know, but hear me out -- I had an hour long motorcycle ride home to think about where I was going with the Abjurant Champion Tradition. The scaling of the early abilities is out of whack as I've first written it, though thematically pretty cool. However, the class already has an excellent scaling mechanic in the Arcane Strike damage dice. So, rather than trying to figure out how to balance being able to reflect high-level spells, I figured just reusing the scaling damage from that would be much easier. So, I'll leave the other version above up for feedback, but I am leaning toward this new version now.

_______

Abjurant Champion, v.2
Abjurant Champions are masters of the counterattack, capable of reflecting spells and effects back on their casters. These careful fighters build strong defenses while weakening their opponents and turning their own weapons against them.

Counter Strike -- updated
At 3rd level, when you are the target of a spell or magical effect which requires an attack roll, and that attack misses, you can spend a spell slot as a reaction to reflect the magical energies back on the creature that attacked you.

Make a spell attack roll using your Intelligence modifier. If it hits, you deal 2d8 damage of the same type as the original attack, plus 1d8 for every spell level over 1st, to a maximum of 5d8. If the original attack did not have a damage type, you deal force damage instead.

Spell Reflection -- updated
At 6th level, your counter-magical abilities increase. When you are the target of a single-target spell or magical effect which requires a saving throw, and you succeed at the saving throw, you can expend a spell slot as a reaction to reflect the magical energy back on the caster.

The creature makes a saving throw of the same type that the original effect called for against your spellcasting DC. If it fails, the creature takes 1d8 force damage and is stunned until the end of your next turn. For each spell level over 1st, the creature takes an additional 1d8 force damage, to a maximum of 4d8.

Dispelling Strike
At 10th level, when you use your Arcane Strike ability using a 3rd level spell slot, you can forego dealing your arcane strike damage dice to attempt a dispelling strike instead. This functions exactly like the spell *dispel magic* as cast from a 3rd level slot, targeting the creature you hit with your arcane strike, except that you have advantage on the spellcasting ability check if one is required. You may use this ability even if you do not have *dispel magic* prepared.

When you use this ability, you may choose to spend a 4th level slot to cast *dispel magic* as a 4th level spell, and a 5th level slot to cast it as a 5th level spell.

Spell Redirection -- updated
At 14th level, when you succeed on a saving throw versus an spell or magical effect with an instantaneous duration that targets multiple creatures, you can spend a spell slot as a reaction to gather the expended magical energy and rebound it upon its creator. The original caster makes the same type of saving throw as the original effect called for against your spellcasting DC. If it fails, the spell or effect is created with an origin point centered on the original caster, instead of where it would have been.

If the creature succeeds on its saving throw, the effect continues as though you had not countered it, though you still succeed on the saving throw.

Once you use this ability, you must complete a short or long rest before you can use it again.

Spell Absorption
At 18th level, when you successfully roll a saving throw against a spell or magical effect that targets only you, you can forego any effects or damage that you would normally incur from successfully saving and instead absorb the spell's energies to recharge your own arcane powers. If you do so, you immediately regain a total number of spell levels equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum 1). For instance, if you have an Intelligence of 16, you could regain a level 3 slot, or a level 2 and a level 1 slot.

Once you use this ability, you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest.

_______

This feels a little more balanced and in-line, but I might still be underestimating its abilities. If anyone in the community has any feedback, it would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Twizzly513
2017-04-15, 11:37 AM
If it were me I might implement a feature similar to the Eldritch Knight's Arcane Bond. I'd tweak it so it wasn't a copy or anything, but I think there should be something special about a Spellblade's weapon. It would just seem weird to me for a guy being a Spellblade to take some guard's sword and then immediately use it as an arcane focus, ya know? Otherwise, great homebrew! I've been poking around for a melee based spellcasting class and this is really good!

Potato_Priest
2017-04-15, 11:42 AM
I don't see how they get lower damage than a pally. Their smites are the same and they can even get improvements to their smites. The main paladin damage feature that they lack is the every hit is a smite feature, but that means that they are equivalent in damage until a very high level.

Octomac
2017-04-15, 11:43 AM
If it were me I might implement a feature similar to the Eldritch Knight's Arcane Bond. I'd tweak it so it wasn't a copy or anything, but I think there should be something special about a Spellblade's weapon. It would just seem weird to me for a guy being a Spellblade to take some guard's sword and then immediately use it as an arcane focus, ya know? Otherwise, great homebrew! I've been poking around for a melee based spellcasting class and this is really good!

Thank you for the feedback!

I'm really torn about including the Arcane Bond. It's a great ribbon, and I like it a lot on the Eldritch Knight. My problem is, I'm already cribbing the EK's stuff for the Duskblade Tradition, and I don't want to step on the EK's toes too much.

That said, I will give it some thought this weekend, and see if I can come up with a ribbon feature that incorporates something like that.

Octomac
2017-04-15, 11:44 AM
I don't see how they get lower damage than a pally. Their smites are the same and they can even get improvements to their smites. The main paladin damage feature that they lack is the every hit is a smite feature, but that means that they are equivalent in damage until a very high level.

You're right, what I was referring to was the lack of an ability like the Paladin gets at level 11 that adds a flat 1d8 damage to every hit. They are equivalent up to that point in terms of damage output. In addition, Paladins get access to two-handed martial weapons and the Great Weapon Fighting style -- these guys have a bit more restriction in what they can use for their base weapon damage.

Skillasaurus
2017-04-17, 06:25 AM
Im gonna try and get one of my recently slain party members to playtest this!
Looks fun!

Octomac
2017-04-17, 11:24 AM
Im gonna try and get one of my recently slain party members to playtest this!
Looks fun!

Awesome! Good luck, and please post any play-test feedback you have!