PDA

View Full Version : DM Help One-shot for Reduced Party??

SilverStud
2017-04-10, 11:18 PM
A few of my players are going to be unavailable for this week's session, and they are getting to a very critical part of the story. The kind you don't want anyone to miss. But we still want to play, and so here I am.

I'm looking for suggestions as to a decent one-shot adventure, something that won't take longer than a session to complete. I don't want to have unresolved story, ya know?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Cespenar
2017-04-11, 01:27 AM
There are various free one-shot adventurer's league scenarios, you could give them a try.

There is also another fun option which my DM tried one day. Play a side-group within the same campaign, doing something else that may be critical or tangential to the main plot. Like a perspective story.

SilverStud
2017-04-11, 11:01 AM
There are various free one-shot adventurer's league scenarios, you could give them a try.

There is also another fun option which my DM tried one day. Play a side-group within the same campaign, doing something else that may be critical or tangential to the main plot. Like a perspective story.

OOh! I like that second idea. The more I think about it, the more my mind revs up about the possibilities. Thanks!!

MrStabby
2017-04-11, 11:22 AM
Do the cow level.

MrMcBobb
2017-04-12, 06:18 AM
Do the cow level.

Don't leave us hanging man, elaborate!!

nickl_2000
2017-04-12, 11:05 AM
Don't leave us hanging man, elaborate!!

Ever played The computer game Diablo? It's a reference from that

Laurefindel
2017-04-12, 11:42 AM
Play a side-group within the same campaign, doing something else that may be critical or tangential to the main plot. Like a perspective story.

This

As a player, I hate when the DM throws us a totally unrelated one-shot just before a critical point in the adventure because players are missing. In those times, I'd rather play boardgames, watch a movie or do something else with those who can be there.

But a tangential game, as suggested above, can be fun and constructive. Whether you play with different characters working toward the same goal, or with the usual characters (in which you are invested) in a prequel 1-shot that ends-up being relevant to the campaign, or a dream of some sort, a scouting mission gone wrong etc, give the feeling that the adventure is moving forward and not completely stalling.

Foxolicious
2017-04-12, 12:09 PM
A few of my players are going to be unavailable for this week's session, and they are getting to a very critical part of the story. The kind you don't want anyone to miss. But we still want to play, and so here I am.

I'm looking for suggestions as to a decent one-shot adventure, something that won't take longer than a session to complete. I don't want to have unresolved story, ya know?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

If it's a large scale battle maybe some of the towns folk need to be trained to defend themselves and create a mini militia and that the town gets invaded mid training session where the party has to lead by example to defend the town I did this recently with my group n they loved it they even liked the new npc's I created