PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Chameleon item creation, what is my CL?

prototype00
2017-04-11, 04:08 AM
So the Chameleon from Races of Destiny can become a pretty good item crafter due to that floating feat it has but you need CL from other sources to qualify for item creation feats (from Factotum, say)

However once you qualify for the feat and get busy making the magic item, can you use the Chameleon's actual CL (20 CL in 10 levels!) to craft? After all at this point you aren't using it to qualify as a pre req.

Thanks for the answers!

Fouredged Sword
2017-04-11, 09:18 AM
Yep. So long as you meet the base prerequisits for your feat you can craft using the caster level granted by your focus just like you can use the spells granted by your focus.

Gruftzwerg
2017-04-11, 09:53 AM
I would still suggest a warlock 12 / Chameleon 2 / Yyyyy X and max UMD.
With UMD and warlocks take-10-on-UMD you get easily access to all spells for crafting. Further you can use the floating feat for:
- crafting (when you need it)
- create Undead (the Dead Walk via Extra invocation). can be used in noncombat times.
- combat related Invocation via Extra Invocation
If you really want a versatile crafter you should give this build at least a thought.

prototype00
2017-04-11, 10:01 AM
Yep. So long as you meet the base prerequisits for your feat you can craft using the caster level granted by your focus just like you can use the spells granted by your focus.

Ah, thanks! Thats nice to know.

I would still suggest a warlock 12 / Chameleon 2 / Yyyyy X and max UMD.
With UMD and warlocks take-10-on-UMD you get easily access to all spells for crafting. Further you can use the floating feat for:
- crafting (when you need it)
- create Undead (the Dead Walk via Extra invocation). can be used in noncombat times.
- combat related Invocation via Extra Invocation
If you really want a versatile crafter you should give this build at least a thought.

Knowing all the spells... isn't exactly a problem for the Chameleon whatever the entry class? Just buy a Boccob's blessed book, take a month off and scribe every Arcane Spell up to lvl 6 in it? (Divine spells you just get) using the floating feat to pick Extra spells (of course this is after you fill all your Chakra slots with Soulmelds).

Warlock gets nice stuff, tis true. I'm partial to the factotum, but it lacks the low level punch of the Warlock.

Fouredged Sword
2017-04-11, 10:37 AM
I like duskblade 3 / Spellthief 3 / chameleon 10 / Uncanny Trickster 3 personally. Duskblade and spellthief both bring things forward into chameleon casting (arcane channeling and casing in light armor (master spellthief))

And that 1d6 sneak attack is nice to slap on craven and other sneak attack boosters that only work when you already have sneak attack dice.