PDA

View Full Version : Warlock builds

calebcom
2007-07-28, 06:10 PM
I'm wanting to make a warlock, but I need some tips on what feats I should take in the low levels. All I can think of for my 1st level feat is Skill Focus: Bluff

Human Warlock lvl 5
str 9
dex 16
con 13
int 16
wis 9
Cha 18

Any help would be appreciated.

Starsinger
2007-07-28, 06:14 PM
Ability Focus, Eldritch Blast
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#abilityFocus

Raolin_Fenix
2007-07-28, 06:38 PM
Don't neglect Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot, so you can Eldritch Blast into melee (and get a +1 bonus to attack and damage). After that, Extra Invocations are always good. Battle Caster will let you wear heavier armor without suffering a spell failure chance. Don't forget Spell Penetration (and Greater Spell Penetration), to compensate for annoyances with Spell Resistance to screw your Eldritch Blast until you get Vitriolic. You might even go with Weapon Focus: Ranged Spell and Weapon Specialization: Ranged Spell. You might want some Craft feats, given the fact that Use Magic Device is an important class skill for the Warlock (and several class abilities are focused around it).

That's just off the top of my head.

MrNexx
2007-07-28, 07:54 PM
A good PrC for a warlock to angle towards is Chameleon, provided they're human. The floating feat at 2nd level allows them to craft pretty much anything, and that two-level dip won't hurt a warlock that much.

slexlollar89
2007-07-28, 08:05 PM
you might want the feat supernatural transformation, it changes the eldrich blast from sp to su, making it able to bypass SR and lets you aviod attacks of opportunity
it is in savage species

oyher than that, what do you want your warlock to do?

Dhavaer
2007-07-28, 08:09 PM
Warlocks don't qualify for Supernatural Transformation; invocations don't count as innate spell-like abilities.

slexlollar89
2007-07-28, 08:17 PM
eldritch blast does

MrNexx
2007-07-28, 08:19 PM
Warlocks don't qualify for Supernatural Transformation; invocations don't count as innate spell-like abilities.

Why not? I would think that warlocks, of all PC classes, would be very well suited to it.

slexlollar89
2007-07-28, 08:19 PM
anyway, the way i see it, mind you not evryone has to agree, but i see invocations sort of the bun of the warlock sandwich... the feats and how you play one are the meat and the condiments

Nebo_
2007-07-28, 08:25 PM
The intent of that feat is that innate means it comes from your race. Since EB is gained by virtue of class levels, it doesn't qualify you. That said, Point Blank and Precise shot are good choices.

slexlollar89
2007-07-28, 08:33 PM
i mean absolutely no offens by theis, but dude have you even read the description of the warlock?! there powers come from fiendish or fey blood, or a dark pact from an ancestor or some similar thing. a warlock might as well be a fiend or a template because you can already get a warlock style ability from the anarchic template (albeit a much less powerful one.)

and anyway, things like birth, blood, or race dont matter since you could be a favored soul, sorcerer, warlock, paladin, warforged... all those things have blood or the gods handpicking you for something and even then a warforged cant have the draconic blood to be a sorcerer. a sorcerer's spells are innate, hence the heritage feats, just like the warlock, so i say go ahead have supernat. trans.

MrNexx
2007-07-28, 08:44 PM
Now I'm curious. Where is this feat from?

slexlollar89
2007-07-28, 08:52 PM
as i said, savage species... along with a lot of cool, but slightly old stuff.

calebcom
2007-07-28, 08:56 PM
i mean absolutely no offens by theis, but dude have you even read the description of the warlock?! there powers come from fiendish or fey blood, or a dark pact from an ancestor or some similar thing. a warlock might as well be a fiend or a template because you can already get a warlock style ability from the anarchic template (albeit a much less powerful one.)

and anyway, things like birth, blood, or race dont matter since you could be a favored soul, sorcerer, warlock, paladin, warforged... all those things have blood or the gods handpicking you for something and even then a warforged cant have the draconic blood to be a sorcerer. a sorcerer's spells are innate, hence the heritage feats, just like the warlock, so i say go ahead have supernat. trans.

Wizard ruled that warlocks do not qualify for that feat.

slexlollar89
2007-07-28, 09:00 PM
WHAT!? oh man, that sucks... that totaly ruins half of the warlocks i have ever made... what was their justification?

calebcom
2007-07-28, 09:39 PM
The intent of that feat is that innate means it comes from your race. Since EB is gained by virtue of class levels, it doesn't qualify you.

This would be the reason wizard stated.

MrNexx
2007-07-29, 11:49 AM
May I ask where Wizard's ruled this?

Matthew
2007-07-29, 09:39 PM
Dungeons & Dragons FAQ (June, 2007), p. 25.

Can a warlock qualify for the Supernatural
Transformation feat (Savage Species, page 39) and change
one of his invocations into a supernatural ability?
No. The warlock’s spell-like abilities are learned (from
class levels), not innate (that is, part of his racial traits).

Pretty pants (by which I mean rubbish and not attractive under/legwear), but there you go.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-07-29, 09:48 PM
just screw warlock, go for binder, get folocar and you get a lightnen blast every turn, no SR or AOO

Tokiko Mima
2007-07-30, 01:17 AM
Ability Focus, Eldritch Blast
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#abilityFocus

I thought about this too, but I don't think it's a very good first level feat. For one, there's no save on eldritch blast until you start taking the area blast shapes, and there's not one of those available until 11th level. You might be better off with Point Blank Shot so you can lead into Precise Shot and Improved Precise Shot.

Draz74
2007-07-30, 01:29 AM
I thought about this too, but I don't think it's a very good first level feat. For one, there's no save on eldritch blast until you start taking the area blast shapes, and there's not one of those available until 11th level. You might be better off with Point Blank Shot so you can lead into Precise Shot and Improved Precise Shot.

There is a save for Blast Essences too, and you can get those right from early levels. The FAQ rules that Ability Focus does work on saves caused by essences. Therefore, this is an important feat indeed ... though maybe not as urgent as Precise Shot.

MrNexx
2007-07-30, 02:17 PM
Dungeons & Dragons FAQ (June, 2007), p. 25.

Pretty pants (by which I mean rubbish and not attractive under/legwear), but there you go.

Oh, well, house ruled.

slexlollar89
2007-07-30, 03:26 PM
:smallsmile: well, you could take range spell spec: +2 dmg to range and range-touch spells. if you are in the markest for a skillful warlock, take jack of all trades: use any skill as if you had at least .5 of a rank.

if you are a good or evil warlock: sanctify/violate sp ability

still, i would say for a combat warlock, take the eldritch glaive least (2) invocation from dragon magic. you get a glaive made of your eldritch blast that you can make full attacks with as touch attacks!:smallsmile:

TheAlmightyOne
2007-07-30, 03:27 PM
Anyone know of a link to the warlock character build? Its not on d20srd.

Tokiko Mima
2007-07-30, 05:17 PM
It's in Complete Arcane, if that helps. There's an article on them here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20050630a), but they aren't OGL so unless you buy the book you'll have a tough time making them. You aren't even allowed to post class details on this board, because you don't want WotC busting Rich for piracy.