PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Multiclassing and skills

Westhart
2017-04-11, 09:07 AM
Alright, so the question is:
If I multiclass into a class with different class skills are these and my old ones both class skills or are they class skills for just those skill ranks?

I am away from my books, and I can not answer the question off the top of my head for a player. Thanks :smallsmile:

Darrin
2017-04-11, 10:03 AM
If I multiclass into a class with different class skills are these and my old ones both class skills or are they class skills for just those skill ranks?

Your old class skills are still considered class skills for determining their max skill ranks (character level +3). However, when you take a new class, your previous class skills that are not currently class skills in your new class are considered cross-class for the purposes of spending skill points.

Example: Rogue 2 puts 5 ranks into UMD as a class skill. At 3rd level, he takes a level of Fighter instead of Rogue. UMD is no longer a class skill for Fighter, but he still treats the max skill ranks as if it were a class skill. In this case, he can spend two skill points as a Fighter to gain 1 rank of UMD (6 ranks total).

Venger
2017-04-11, 10:04 AM
Alright, so the question is:

I am away from my books, and I can not answer the question off the top of my head for a player. Thanks :smallsmile:

here's how it works:

your class skills are what your current class has as class skills. that means your cap is your character level +3, and you buy skills at 1 point per point.

so far so good.

if you have ever had something as a class skill, you will always treat your skillcap as character level +3.

if you later switch to something that doesn't have that as a class skill, your cap is unaffected, but you now pay double for it. you pay 2 skill points for one rank.

example:

level 1 you are a rogue. you have bluff as a class skill. you can buy it at 1 point per rank, and your cap is 4.

level 2 you go to wizard which doesn't have bluff. your cap is still 5 (2+3) but if you want to buy bluff now, it costs 2 points per rank. if you spend 2 points, you will be able to raise bluff to 5 ranks.

make sense?

Westhart
2017-04-11, 10:06 AM
ah, ok thanks :smallbiggrin: