PDA

View Full Version : D20 Modern/Future Ship Weapons Deal x10 Damage to Characters?

ColorBlindNinja
2017-04-11, 10:09 AM
I have heard several references to this rule, but I cannot find it on the MSRD.

Do ship weapons deal x10 damage on characters? Nukes for example, deal 16d8 damage. If a nuke is dropped on a party, do they take x10 damage? This means the difference between taking 72 damage on average or 720.

Is this rule in the MSRD? If so, where? If it isn't, what book is it in? I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me.

Thanks!

Tainted_Scholar
2017-04-12, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I also really need to know where this rule comes from.

Starbuck_II
2017-04-12, 11:18 AM

Do ship weapons deal x10 damage on characters? Nukes for example, deal 16d8 damage. If a nuke is dropped on a party, do they take x10 damage? This means the difference between taking 72 damage on average or 720.

Is this rule in the MSRD? If so, where? If it isn't, what book is it in? I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me.

Thanks!

But wouldn't that be 10x only if shot the nuke by a ship?

ColorBlindNinja
2017-04-12, 11:26 AM
But wouldn't that be 10x only if shot the nuke by a ship?

Maybe? That depends if a "ship weapon" is a weapon fired by a ship or weapon that belongs to a ship.

This is also why I want to find the exact rule; it might answer this question.

Mato
2017-04-12, 02:19 PM
In the d6 Star Wars game ship weapons deal x10 to characters but Modern has no such rule. Check Future Tech - Chapter 6 on pages 92~96 with close attention to ship based orbital bombardment on page 92 where it explicitly mentions they deal normal damage but explosive range is increased - for your own confirmation.

The_Jette
2017-04-12, 02:30 PM

Thanks!

Wait... so a 10th level Barbarian with a good Con score has a chance of just tanking a nuke to the face? I mean, I've heard that these games toss logic to the wind, but 16d8 seems like a really weak version of a nuke...

Is it at least something like a mini-nuke from the Fallout universe?

frogglesmash
2017-04-12, 02:51 PM
Wait... so a 10th level Barbarian with a good Con score has a chance of just tanking a nuke to the face? I mean, I've heard that these games toss logic to the wind, but 16d8 seems like a really weak version of a nuke...

When nukes detonate in space they deal significantly less damage because the lack of atmosphere means there's no blast wave which is where much of the damage comes from.

The_Jette
2017-04-12, 03:14 PM
When nukes detonate in space they deal significantly less damage because the lack of atmosphere means there's no blast wave which is where much of the damage comes from.

So, the nuke info is only for space combat? Are there other stats for in atmo damage, then?

ZamielVanWeber
2017-04-12, 03:18 PM
I believe Apocalypse has atmospheric nukes which insta-kill in one range and can easily insta-kill in a second.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-04-12, 03:27 PM

No, it's a 1 megaton warhead.

In the d6 Star Wars game ship weapons deal x10 to characters but Modern has no such rule. Check Future Tech - Chapter 6 on pages 92~96 with close attention to ship based orbital bombardment on page 92 where it explicitly mentions they deal normal damage but explosive range is increased - for your own confirmation.

So the rule doesn't exist?

Edit: Any idea where the passage you're referring to would be in the MSRD? If it's in there at all.

frogglesmash
2017-04-12, 03:31 PM
It's also worth noting that d20 modern has much more unforgiving massive damage rules i.e. taking damage equal to or greater than your con score force a DC 15 fort save to avoid death. This coupled with a lack of magic items to boost your con score, or your fort saves mean that more often and not any damage value greater than 14 has a very good chance of killing most people.

Tainted_Scholar
2017-04-12, 03:37 PM

Apparently bombardments deals the same amount of damage though.

Well, D&D characters are blatantly superhuman.

Also this.

It's also worth noting that d20 modern has much more unforgiving massive damage rules i.e. taking damage equal to or greater than your con score force a DC 15 fort save to avoid death. This coupled with a lack of magic items to boost your con score, or your fort saves mean that more often and not any damage value greater than 14 has a very good chance of killing most people.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-04-12, 03:45 PM
Nevermind, I found the passage in question. I thought Future Tech was the name of a chapter or something, not a book. :smallsigh:

Edit: Just realized that orbital bombardments allow reflex for half... Evasion FTW!

Tainted_Scholar
2017-04-12, 03:50 PM
Nevermind, I found the passage in question. I thought Future Tech was the name of a chapter or something, not a book. :smallsigh:

Edit: Just realized that orbital bombardments allow reflex for half... Evasion FTW!

So if you try to nuke a party what happens is:

The Barbarian tanks it.

The Rogue dodges.

And the Wizard is immune.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-04-12, 03:51 PM

I nearly forgot, thank you so much for sharing this info!

So if you try to nuke a party what happens is:

The Barbarian tanks it.

The Rogue dodges.

And the Wizard is immune.

It's funny because it's true.