PDA

View Full Version : What domains should a Paladin take?

Lt.Col.Problem
2017-04-11, 12:25 PM
I'm rolling a paladin and planning on dipping Cleric, (making my final build Paladin 5/Cleric 1/Pious Templar 4/Fist of Raziel 10) so she can cast more spells. What domains would be best for her?

Gildedragon
2017-04-11, 12:34 PM
Well what god ya taking?

Also have you considered going Prestige Paladin instead? Get serenity in there and you're pretty set

Good is not too bad as it is relatively easy to add the Good descriptor to your spells

Spell is pretty great because of the spells in it

ATHATH
2017-04-11, 12:49 PM
Just dropping this here:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2773.0

Venger
2017-04-11, 12:58 PM
'm rolling a paladin and planning on dipping Cleric (making my final build Paladin 5/Cleric 1/Pious Templar 4/Fist of Raziel 10) so she can cast more spells. What domains would be best for her?

your build is weird. what kinds of powers do you want for your gal? do you want to focus on casting? are you interested in being a gish? I don't see what pious templar is offering you. are you just there for mettle?

since you seem comfortable playing a full caster, had you considered sacred fist?

if you're set as far as your stub goes, what are you looking for in a domain? do you want additional spells? is the granted power more important? what is your build or typical combat strategy like? are you restricted to particular gods, or can you pick whatever domain you want

Lt.Col.Problem
2017-04-11, 01:26 PM
your build is weird. what kinds of powers do you want for your gal? do you want to focus on casting? are you interested in being a gish? I don't see what pious templar is offering you. are you just there for mettle?

since you seem comfortable playing a full caster, had you considered sacred fist?

if you're set as far as your stub goes, what are you looking for in a domain? do you want additional spells? is the granted power more important? what is your build or typical combat strategy like? are you restricted to particular gods, or can you pick whatever domain you want

I'm trying for a gish with emphasis on smiting and casting. I can pick any domain, and while I'm looking for a good balance between viable spells and granted powers, I'd say the powers are just a bit more important. Also, her role is both the secondary combatant and a support/face.

Gildedragon
2017-04-11, 01:47 PM
Hmm...
Cleric 5 (Dynamic Priest feat)
Prestige Paladin

Charm and Good Domains

Particle_Man
2017-04-11, 01:53 PM
"Law and good deeds are the meat and drink of paladins", as they used to say, so I vote for Law and Good as domains. :smallbiggrin:

Inevitability
2017-04-11, 02:03 PM
"Law and good deeds are the meat and drink of paladins", as they used to say, so I vote for Law and Good as domains. :smallbiggrin:

Law and Good just give more cleric spells and passive bonuses: other domains get you new, character-enhancing abilities that also increase power.

Lt.Col.Problem
2017-04-11, 02:05 PM

Can't say those are what I'm looking for. Tiny caster level bonuses just aren't that good.

Venger
2017-04-11, 02:18 PM
hard to argue with the spell or magic domains for overall utility.

Lt.Col.Problem
2017-04-11, 02:38 PM
(Dynamic Priest feat)

Charm and Good Domains

That's a pretty good idea. Think I might take War as well, for the free weapon focus. Maybe spell for the utility.

Particle_Man
2017-04-11, 03:03 PM
Law and Good just give more cleric spells and passive bonuses: other domains get you new, character-enhancing abilities that also increase power.

With the craft arms and armour feat it also allows you to create an axiomatic holy weapon, fwiw.

Inevitability
2017-04-11, 03:06 PM
With the craft arms and armour feat it also allows you to create an axiomatic holy weapon, fwiw.

If the party's paladin is the magic item crafter, something, somewhere has gone horribly wrong.

Gildedragon
2017-04-11, 03:14 PM
If the party's paladin is the magic item crafter, something, somewhere has gone horribly wrong.

Midgard Dwarf Paladin of Moradin

Uses his smith hammer as his weapon and holy symbol
Magic item of Launch Item, hurl shrunk item anvils

Inevitability
2017-04-11, 03:16 PM

That's somewhat niche, though.

Lt.Col.Problem
2017-04-11, 03:20 PM

Magic item of Launch Item, hurl shrunk item anvils

That's awesome and hilarious at the same time. Very niche, but interesting.