PDA

View Full Version : Player Help (D&D 3.5e) Master Spellcrafter PrC

Zarion
2017-04-11, 12:55 PM
I'm looking to get some opinions on a PrC I've been working on. I'd like to know people opinions on its balance.

Master Spellcrafter
The Master Spellcrafter is the pinnacle of magical item creation. His understanding of magic and how items can be created using magic is so complete that he can create items faster, cheaper, and at less personal expense than any other spellcaster. He is also very adept at identifying magical items, and can even increase the power of the things that he creates. The drawback for this prestige class is that the Master Spellcrafter must spend many skill points in Spellcraft, Knowledge, and Craft. As well the Master Spellcrafter dedicates himself wholly to the act of item creation, losing out on gaining spells. This prestige class fits very well with wizards, but can also work well with clerics.

Requirements:
To qualify to become a Master Spellcrafter, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any
Skills: Craft (any) 8 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks, OR Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks, and Spellcraft 8 ranks.
Feats: Scribe Scroll, Any three Craft Magical Item feats.
Spells: Caster level 9th
Special: Must have completed a magic item worth at least 20,000 gp in base price.

Table: The Master Spellcrafter
Hit Die: d4
Skills: (2 + Int per level)

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special

1st
+0
+0
+0
+2
Bonus Feat, Spell Crafting Insight, Spell Crafting Power

2nd
+1
+0
+0
+3
Materials Knowledge (25%)

3rd
+1
+1
+1
+3
Bonus Feat

4th
+2
+1
+1
+4
Crafting Efficiency (25%)

5th
+2
+1
+1
+4
Bonus Feat, Item Knowledge

6th
+3
+2
+2
+5
Practiced Crafter

7th
+3
+2
+2
+5
Bonus Feat

8th
+4
+2
+2
+6
Materials Knowledge (50%)

9th
+4
+3
+3
+6
Bonus Feat

10th
+5
+3
+3
+7
Crafting Efficiency (50%)

Class Features:
All the following are class features of the Master Spellcrafter prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Master Spellcrafter gains no proficiencies in weapons or armor.
Bonus Feat: At levels 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 the Master Spellcrafter may select one of the following feats. Any Item Creation, any Metamagic.
Spell Crafting Insight: At level 1 the Master Spellcrafter gains a better understanding of how magical items function and the energies used to create them, he gains the ability to increase the energy efficiency of the items. For every 15 skill modifier points he has in both Spellcraft and, Knowledge (arcana) or Knowledge (religion), the character can increases the set numeric effects of magical items by 50% rounded down. For example a new wand of Magic Missile normally has 50 charges; and Boots of Teleportation normally have 3 uses per day. With the Spell Crafting Insight ability a Master Spellcrafter with at least 15 skill points can increase the amount of charges to 75 for the wand and 4 uses for the boots.
The Master Spellcrafter must devote skill points in various crafting skills in order to create magical items that are more powerful than normal types. For example to create Boots of Teleportation that are useable 4 times per day the Master Spellcrafter must succeed a Craft: Leatherwork against a DC of 20. For every 50% increase to the number of uses, increase the DC by 10, and increase the base cost of the item by 10%.
Example 1: “Spellcrafted” Boots of Teleportation. Any Character wearing this footwear may teleport four time per day, exactly as if he had cast the spell of the same name. Moderate Conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Wondrous Item; teleport; Craft: Leatherwork DC 20; Price: 53,900 gp; Weight 3 lb.
Example 2: “Spellcrafted” Boots of Teleportation. Any Character wearing this footwear may teleport six time per day, exactly as if he had cast the spell of the same name. Moderate Conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Wondrous Item; teleport; Craft: Leatherwork DC 30; Price: 59,290 gp; Weight 3 lb.
Spell Crafting Power: Levels in Master Spellcrafter count toward the caster level requirements of item creation, as if he had gained a level in the spellcasting class to which he belonged before adding this prestige class i.e. if a character had Wizard 5/Master Spellcrafter 3 he would have a caster level of 8 for the purpose of meeting the caster level requirement for crafting magic items, and the item would function at caster level 8.
Materials Knowledge: Through experience and insight at 2nd level the Master Spellcrafter has gained an understanding of what materials work best for crafting magical items. He has also learned how to use the materials more efficiently thus granting him a 25% reduction to the cost of the raw materials needed for crafting. This increases to 50% at level 8. He also gains a +2 to any Craft check made, this increases to +4 at level 8.
Crafting Efficiency: At level 4 the Master Spellcrafter reduces the XP cost for crafting items by 25%, this increases to 50% at level 8.
Item Knowledge: At level 5 the Master Spellcrafter gains the ability to cast the spell Identify as a spell-like ability 5 times per day. They also receive a +2 to their Appraise check.
Practiced Crafter: At level 6 the Master Spellcrafter has produced such a quantity of magical items that he gains a 50% reduction to the amount of time it takes to create a magical item.

Continual Requirements: The Master Spellcrafter MUST have the maximum number of ranks per character level in both Spellcraft and, Knowledge (arcana) or Knowledge (religion). If the Master Spellcrafter does not meet this criteria, then they do not receive the special ability for that level. If the ranks are eventually restored to maximum, then the caster retroactively gains the abilities that they “missed” previously.

Inevitability
2017-04-11, 01:01 PM
I suggest posting this in homebrew. You can ask a mod to move this thread by reporting it.

Zarion
2017-04-11, 01:57 PM
I suggest posting this in homebrew. You can ask a mod to move this thread by reporting it.

How do I do that? I don't use GITP much.

Inevitability
2017-04-11, 02:01 PM
How do I do that? I don't use GITP much.

Exclamation mark to your post's bottom left.

Zarion
2017-04-11, 02:02 PM
Exclamation mark to your post's bottom left.

Thank you, I've reported it.

Inevitability
2017-04-11, 02:17 PM
Thank you, I've reported it.

Also, while I definitely support your choice of avatar (deify the machine!), I suggest reducing its size a bit.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's suddenly gone.

Zarion
2017-04-11, 02:24 PM
Also, while I definitely support your choice of avatar (deify the machine!), I suggest reducing its size a bit.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's suddenly gone.

I've been fiddling with the avatar, it should be good now.

Inevitability
2017-04-11, 03:04 PM
I've been fiddling with the avatar, it should be good now.

Nicely done.